Honda GC160 Help with throttle

Karttekk

Reaction score
When the engine is off the throttle will go wide open. When you start the engine the governor pulls the throttle back to idle. As you give it gas, the governor "fights" the throttle from going wide open. Start it with the stock linkage on and see which way the governor pulls the throttle back then fasten the throttle cable to something that opens the throttle and let the governor "govern" or do its job. Like RLS said, if you only disconnect the external governor rods you chance having the internal governor gear spin out of control and break apart. You are correct when you say you want to keep it simple. Learn how the setup works then attach your throttle cable as needed to open the carb butterfly from the gas pedal.

Mike12656

Reaction score
K—Thanks for info on how the governor works and the butterfly works
Did you happen to check out the video I posted very similiar to my honda GC160
I want something like that-eliminating the throttle plate thats on my engine now
Just trying to figure out were to place linkage and spring and where to put the cable holder?

Rat

Reaction score
Thanks Denny

RLS and Denny—-Heres photos
The only thing I can make heads or tails of quickly is that Your throttle is wide open at rest, when it should be closed.
Throttle is always inside (engine facing end) and the choke outside...

Attachments

• DAF8A6C2-60D2-4E46-8F53-1CFB2D595B0D.jpeg
    DAF8A6C2-60D2-4E46-8F53-1CFB2D595B0D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

Rat

Reaction score
Just trying to figure out were to place linkage and spring and where to put the cable holder?
Without a governor delete that's not an option.
If you have a plastic cam, you can't delete the governor safely... could possibly swap the cam out for another, but I'm not sure what with or how much else would change with it.

GC160 isn't a bad engine, but a GX180 or GX200 would have been far more ideal... I get wanting to use a gift engine though

Rat

Reaction score
When the engine is off the throttle will go wide open. When you start the engine the governor pulls the throttle back to idle. As you give it gas, the governor "fights" the throttle from going wide open.
For a pressure washer, generator, lawn mower, etc this is of course standard... for anything else with an engine requiring throttle control this is backwards and completely wrong.

The GC160 is engine is far less than ideal for the given task until the cover is pulled to see if it has a plastic cam or not, and see if there's a swap option if it is so that deleting the governor becomes a realistic option

Karttekk

Reaction score
For a pressure washer, generator, lawn mower, etc this is of course standard... for anything else with an engine requiring throttle control this is backwards and completely wrong.

Examples?

Rat

Reaction score
Examples?
Uh...dude are you playing dumb or trolling?

Pressure washers, generators, and lawnmowers are not designed to have any manual throttle control because they are intended to only run constanlty and consistently at peak their performance rpm.

Having a plastic cam is limiting beyond it having been pointed out that a GC160 has no aftermarket hop-up goodies. As a Karting engine in general... it's just a bad joke

karl

Reaction score
Fixed speed engines and those that have throttle control operate the same way and use the same components.

Fixed speed the governer spring is hooked to a fixed point to set a constant RPM. Bending this tab adjusts the set speed.

On a small engine with throttle control, instead of the spring going to a fixed point, it is hooked to a
throttle control lever that can adjust the tension on said spring to regulate the speed of the engine.

Ive had no cam issues running the GC160/190's ungoverned, the timing belt driven OHC's
dont seem to care. The governer gear is driven off the crankshaft on these engines.
But still the GX is superior.

Rat

Reaction score
Fixed speed engines and those that have throttle control operate the same way and use the same components.

Fixed speed the governer spring is hooked to a fixed point to set a constant RPM. Bending this tab adjusts the set speed.

On a small engine with throttle control, instead of the spring going to a fixed point, it is hooked to a
throttle control lever that can adjust the tension on said spring to regulate the speed of the engine.

Ive had no cam issues running the GC160/190's ungoverned, the timing belt driven OHC's
dont seem to care. The governer gear is driven off the crankshaft on these engines.
But still the GX is superior.
As for running without a governor on a plastic cam... sometimes experience is far wiser than logic or education. I was referring back to #16 as Denny advised against deleting the gov.

Any OHC I've messed with outside automotive ran a chain not a belt.
UNFORTUNATELY with the GC160 that's the only way to get control of the throttle and not have the resulting issue this post was intended to resolve.

I have yet to build or usse a small engine outside of its intended use without first gutting out the gov.

Attachments

• 20220803_001712.jpg
    20220803_001712.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4

Mike12656

Reaction score
Alrighty then I’m learning alot about go karts and engines especially how the Honda GC 160 is bad for a go kart etc but it’s the only one I got and I gotta make it work and get back to my friend’s kid who waiting with bated breath for me to finish it
So maybe you fellows can help figure how to do this
Take look at the video— I going to have to make up a bracket I think
Will I need to use the spring from the throttle plate for the gas petal or is the spring that comes on the gas petal connecting rod enough?
Will I need drill a hole in the carburetor butterfly (all the holes are taken) to accommodate the throttle cable or homemade linkage to throttle cable?
And will clear the plastic air filter housing?
Then when all thats settled have figure out the toggle kill wont work—maybe the switch is bad
Any suggestions would greatly be greatly appreciated!

Mike12656

Reaction score
PS
I going to keep the governor not gonna touch it including the set up original to engine

Rat

Reaction score
PS
I going to keep the governor not gonna touch it including the set up original to engine
Well that's going to be a problem...

To make it so it doesn't try to take off the second that engine starts up means the governor won't work by design even if it's linkage is connected to the throttle.

The pedal spring is for the pedal, NOT the throttle... so no it's not enough and YES a throttle spring is required.

"You may have done right...
Or you may have done right Now...
You will never have both together"

Rat

Reaction score
Will I need drill a hole in the carburetor butterfly (all the holes are taken) to accommodate the throttle cable or homemade linkage to throttle cable?
You shouldn't need any more holes, if you do start over and keep starting over until you get it working. Every extra hole makes it just that much more likely to end up snapping off later.
Then when all thats settled have figure out the toggle kill wont work—maybe the switch is bad
Any suggestions would greatly be greatly appreciated!
It's more likely disconnected. There should be a wire running from the coil to the kill (requires removing the shroud to find) and from the kill to the engine

Mike12656

Reaction score
“You shouldn't need any more holes, if you do start over and keep starting over until you get it working. Every extra hole makes it just that much more likely to end up snapping off later.”
—-But there no holes available they are all occupied

Rat

Reaction score
“You shouldn't need any more holes, if you do start over and keep starting over until you get it working. Every extra hole makes it just that much more likely to end up snapping off later.”
—-But there no holes available they are all occupied
You totally missed my point.🙄
Just go with Karl's suggestion.