Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfive

Reaction score
Harbor Freight/Princess auto (Eh) Tools that don't suck!

A few forums have a thread like this to help other know what to buy and what to not buy. Some times its certain model numbers of tools to get or not get.

Went to the tent sale today and picked up the famous 90 amp AC 120v flux core welder.

Had one years ago in the blue variety. Worked good for what it was. Going to get either lincoln or hobart wire.

Also might try mods, as people have had really good luck with.

I have the medium (91223) priced 4 1/2" angle grinder. Did open the main part and pack in more high temp grease as others suggest.

Has four screws that you undo to open where the gears are.

Just fill so its completely full if not already full. Hasn't burned up yet.

Extendable ratchets. Actually really nice. I like them a lot, and tend to use them over craftsman ones I have.

Welding table. Beats not having anything and I bought it with the super coupon so it was cheap.

Mig welding cart for 37.99 super coupon. Use it for my tig welder. Bought a small plastic organizer for consumables.

Orange dead blow hammer. 5.00 hard to beat!

Step drill bits. Recently drilled a hole in stainless with the 1 3/8'' with good success. Didn't like it, but it did it still.

8 ton bottle jack. Carry in my one ton truck and have used it multiple times to change tires, or jack my truck as it works better than my 2 ton craftsman floor jack.

oxy/act torch kit. I have a victor set that the gauges need rebuilt so I use this kit for the guages and hose. But the torch and stuff works. Cheap option if you have the bottles.
Always have a free item coupon and 20% or 25% off coupon.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
The 8" Central machinery Drill press is a good tool.

I also got a simple 30" manual table top sheet metal break there.
It works good for what it is. Most people would probably love it.
Cause it is better than nothing. I am used to a 10' brake. So it leaves a little to be wanted.

Point is it bends Metal straight and is the perfect size for Go Kart stuff.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
A few forums have a thread like this to help other know what to buy and what to not buy. Some times its certain model numbers of tools to get or not get.

Model numbers and photos would be helpful here instead of the ambiguous "medium priced one" because it is, well... ambiguous. Plus HF wares are perpetually ON SALE so the price can and will vary.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Jfive- If it would be alright, maybe we could have this as also a Harbor freight/Princess auto thread... (maybe a mod to add in the extra notation).
There is a reasonable amount of us Canadians here on a regular basis(or at lest me anyways;) ) that would benefit from the same advise passed on here in the decent tool thread....
An idea....

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
I thought I'd try out their new fish / depth finder since my boat doesn't have one and with coupon it was about $30. Took it out on the canoe this past weekend at Willow Springs Lake, pretty cool.

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 17

machinist@large

Reaction score
As for power tool's, the 91223 4 1/2" is currently the only one that I'd buy; my Metabo can kick it's :censored:,but it works great for less than full war projects. As for cordless drills, I have two model 68850 Chicago Electric half inch capacity unit's that have held up well, even at work. Buy an extra battery for each, and swap out the stock keyless chucks (the elcheapo grade Jacob's model they sell cost ~$10.00 each at the time). They are heavy; the NiCad batteries also take up space. That being said, they have more capacity than Milwaukee or DeWalts current 24V Li-Ion models for like 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

As for hand tools, I have 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive Taiwanese made Pittsburgh Pro grade socket sets, as well as some of their better grade wrenches. I used to have a great set of Snap On tools. To bad someone else wanted them more than I did. And when my (now former) employer screwed on the insurance settlement, I swore that I wouldn't ever take that grade to work ever again.

The socket sets have been great; the wrenches, while not as slim and sassy as Snap On grade will most likely be more than a match for your project. And all come with the same lifetime warranty as the big dog's. That's why I won't take Snap On grade tool's to work any more. I'm not spending long dollars to tool someone else up ever again; if I need it for home, I'll go there, but not for work.

Oh, and as for hammers (including dead blow's), tape measures, etc. Most if not all have that same lifetime warranty. If it fails, take it back, no questions asked....

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
As for power tool's, the 91223 4 1/2" is currently the only one that I'd buy; my Metabo can kick it's :censored:,but it works great for less than full war projects. .

4 1/2" what?
Are we supposed to google the part number? Without even knowing what type of tool you are talking about?

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
I love my 91223 4 1/2" picked it up when i got my 170 mig welder. No problems so far. it was on sale so i thought i might as well pick up the medium priced one :)

oh yah It's an angle grinder.

Hmm i need to double check PN. mine is blue! all pictures show red! i think this one is mine Item#65519

Okay looks like mine and the 91223 are about the same. the 65519 has a nice trigger on it in case you drop it it will stop the other one, 91223 has an on off switch so i think it would stay running if it, say , caught your tie and slammed into your face a full speed would not stop? I like the 65519 so far.

Check this guys youtube post, ive seen it before talking about things not to buy from HF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86S7reKobs

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
oh yah It's an angle grinder.
91223 has an on off switch so i think it would stay running if it, say , caught your tie and slammed into your face a full speed would not stop?
Ok thanks.
But wait... You use an angle Grinder while wearing a TIE!!!:smiley_omg:

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Have to stay business dress! :lolgoku: j/k

You know like that guy Colin Furze, he always wears a tie.

Maybe long hair could get caught then? I cut my long hair a long time ago :(

anyways i think Grinder 65519 is safer then the 91223

Jfive

Reaction score
Roll around tool box with coupon 109.00 usually 159 with coupon is a really good deal for a nicer than craftsman tool box, no joke.

Spring loaded punch, perfect for marking spots to drill holes, seriously a must have tool and they are cheap.

Pry bar set of three. Can't beat em, they are strong and if you fix all your stuff like me you'll need em one day.

14.99 nitride drill bits box set. Work great just need to use oil and drill on slow not fast and you'll get multiple uses out of them. I've drilled my go kart frame truck frame, wood, you name it.

8mil gloves perfect to keep your hands clean when your changing oil or touching greasy things. Packing wheel bearings, cutting jalapeños lol.

Free tools to get, tape measure, magnet trays, tarp, screw driver set, volt meter, and zip ties. All good items that you don't have to throw away. F those cheap *** flash lights. They never last.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I've never had the small aluminum flashlights fail, but I also don't subject them to rigorous use.

The 27 LED lights are much better with a useful hook and magnet on the back. Not often a freebie, I get them when they are.

Attachments

• 27 LED.jpg
    27 LED.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 8

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
I got two of the LED flashlights for free. They are great. With magnet on back so they stick to iron metals.

I recently replaced door lock on my daughters (well mine) chevy s10. Used the LED flashlight inside the door while i worked so i could see what i was doing. finishing everything up and.....where the :censored: is that flashlight? Put the whole door back together with the flashlight turned on, inside the door!!! :mad2: :mad2:

Luckly the air vent on the door side was the easiest to open and get it out :( :oops: i took a video...maybe ill post it :)

edit: here it is for 2.99 while they last :)

Attachments

• flashlight.jpg
    flashlight.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 9

machinist@large

Reaction score
.........oh yah It's an angle grinder.

Hmm i need to double check PN. mine is blue! all pictures show red! i think this one is mine Item#65519

Okay looks like mine and the 91223 are about the same. the 65519 has a nice trigger on it in case you drop it it will stop the other one, 91223 has an on off switch so i think it would stay running if it, say , caught your tie and slammed into your face a full speed would not stop? I like the 65519 so far.

My Metabo and the Chicago Electric #91223 4 1/2" angle grinders (I forgot that Chancer can be easily confused) both have the same style latching on/off switch, which I personally prefer on that size grinder for one handed operation, almost exclusively for post weld clean up and/or general deburring parts as they come off the bandsaw. For anything heavy duty, I'm using both hands anyway, which means that the trigger style switch on my old school 9" Milwaukee angle grinder is also a non issue (you need both hands just to pick it up; one handed operation?!? Not by me!!!!!!!!! ).

Ok thanks.
But wait... You use an angle Grinder while wearing a TIE!!!:smiley_omg:

He must have an OSHA loophole of some sort......

Have to stay business dress! :lolgoku: j/k...... :)lolgoku: MAL)

........anyways i think Grinder 65519 is safer then the 91223

When discussing power tools with a rated no load speed up around 10,000 RPM, safety now becomes a relative term!!!!!!!!! :roflol:

Jfive

Reaction score
The cheap grinder is on sale with coupon for labor day @ 9.99. Probably gonna buy one for permanent wire wheel grinder. Have a friend that likes the cheapo ones. Has had them fail though.

KartFab

Reaction score
Impact sockets have held up alright for me. I avoid buying power tools there, or pretty much anything there. I used to think that if it was simple, you might be ok with buying it there, but they manage to screw up even the simplest of things. My air hose coupler leaks that I bought there, anything with rubber on it (predator engine spark plug boot, air hose, etc) will crack over a short period of time. Wire wheels, and cut off discs? Forget about it. They are not balanced to begin with, and fling the wires out/wear out fast. Discs come apart easier. I now opt for the more expensive stuff somewhere else just to avoid the hassle (exception predator 212cc).

machinist@large

Reaction score
Impact sockets have held up alright for me. I avoid buying power tools there, or pretty much anything there. I used to think that if it was simple, you might be ok with buying it there, but they manage to screw up even the simplest of things. My air hose coupler leaks that I bought there, anything with rubber on it (predator engine spark plug boot, air hose, etc) will crack over a short period of time. Wire wheels, and cut off discs? Forget about it. They are not balanced to begin with, and fling the wires out/wear out fast. Discs come apart easier. I now opt for the more expensive stuff somewhere else just to avoid the hassle (exception predator 212cc).

I look over anything I'm looking to buy very closely; anything over, say, $10.00 bucks, I take out the extended warranty. That way, if it woofs the cookie, I'll get either a new one or my money back. The item's I listed in my original post are one's I'm satisfied with. Are they the absolute best? Maybe not. Do I think that they do well enough to make the price difference more than worth it? Yes.

It's all about looking at just what your use/cost ratio is. The cordless drill model I quoted only gets used intermittently; I've gone months without needing to use it. Then I get a project that has me using it for several hours straight for several days. Yes, that high spec Milwaukee or DeWalt is most likely to be the ultimate survivor; the question is, is the extra cost worth it?

ML-TOYS

Reaction score
So far the only tool i didnt have a good experience with was the 3 jaw puller snapping in half.

Other than that my tools handle some good amount of abuse.

Jfive

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.