Grand Daddyish build

TNThomas

Reaction score
What about just gluing it all together with some black Permatex and drilling and tapping in a hole for a zerk and filling it with John Deere corn head grease. That stuff would never leak out.
Im not familiar with that grease, ill look into it, good thinking!

TNThomas

Reaction score
A few hours of trick or treating, a few bourbons, a few good decisions, and a few bad, one small shop fire, and the steering is installed. Very happy with it! Ill do some beefing up on the horizintal tube that supports the steering later on. Good enough to keep moving. Pic of Monty learing about steering on the F250

Attachments

• 20221031_231520.jpg
    20221031_231520.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20221031_231832.jpg
    20221031_231832.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20221030_123432.jpg
    20221030_123432.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 15

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
nice job... speaking of A few hours of trick or treating maybe two hours after all kids were gone, somebody nocking on the door... one kid, dressed up all in red showed up an says: hi, I am your period, sorry I am late..
Oh my God! I just peed my self laughing!!!!!!!
That was the funniest joke I’ve heard in the last 20 years. I doff my hat to you good sir.

TNThomas

Reaction score
JD Corn Head Grease is solid until the machinery starts to move, then it goes liquid. When the machinery stops moving it goes back to a solid. Neat stuff actually.
Ah, thanks for the info, that would be a great idea! Solid as to not leak until you need it, nice.

TNThomas

Reaction score
I got the 2 remaining Miata bearings pulled off the second diff, they were on there good! Had to pick up a bearing puller kit from Harbor Freight. Did the job. Bonus is that my son spent about 45 minutes playing with it. HF tools are about the same price as fake childrens tools, so I might just start buying them real tools to play with instead of plastic ones! Haha.

Attachments

• 20221102_185814.jpg
    20221102_185814.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221102_184450.jpg
    20221102_184450.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221102_184508.jpg
    20221102_184508.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Those are such cool pictures? It’s also what I think this hobby should be all about! Bet you can’t wait for the new baby! Drawing a family closer together and teaching new skills. Even if it is just playing with tools! Treasure those pictures and memories dad.

TNThomas

Reaction score
Those are such cool pictures? It’s also what I think this hobby should be all about! Bet you can’t wait for the new baby! Drawing a family closer together and teaching new skills. Even if it is just playing with tools! Treasure those pictures and memories dad.
Thanks! That was part of the reason to sell the bikes as well. Hopeing for a small fleet of go-karts for the kids and adults.

TNThomas

Reaction score
After talking with sone local guys, I am going to run a different engine. I was worried the 670 wouldn't be strong enough, especially with the duel axles, so I just listed it for sale. I am going to run a big 2-stroke liquid cooled snowmobile engine instead. Thete are lots of pros to this:

-tripple to quadruple the HP
-they are cheap used!
-lighter than the 670
-pull start (670 is e-start)
-Japanese/Canadian/USA engineered vs Chinese
-I havn't bought my cvt yet, and its going to be roughly $500 for that alone on the 670. A used sled will essentially include this for free!
-I should be able to keep the reverse from the sled (I believe is a gear on a jackshaft).

My hopes are for a 800cc-ish 3cyl liquid cooled 2 stroke. Ill put a big radiator just above the seats.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I think the 670 would have moved it quite easily. We have even seen 212 engines on that size kart, single axle though. But the liquid cooling will be a big plus though! What state are you in?

TNThomas

Reaction score
I think the 670 would have moved it quite easily. We have even seen 212 engines on that size kart, single axle though. But the liquid cooling will be a big plus though! What state are you in?
Yea, I bet it would get up and go with thr 670, but I think my top speed would be fairly low in order to get the right torque, especially with the large tires, two axles, and the diffs (they weigh a chunk). Most of the time it wouldnt matter, but in the dunes thats a different story. My worry is that I would have major issues on big hills, ones that you need a combo of speed and torque to get up. Plus I feel with the twin axles, there is some great potential for extra traction. Also, after joining a 670 forum, there seem to be a chunk of quality control issues, and little tweeks to get these to run right. I could do those, and dump more money into uprgades to bring out more hp, but it might be smarter to just get an engine thats already made for racing at that point. A sled would come with a CVT (which I havnt bought) and the Comet 780 (for the 670) set I would need runs $500 ish.

I have a line on a dissasembled 2009 Ski-Do 800. 800cc, 2 cyl, 2-stroke, pull start, liquid cooled. Owner says its around 160hp currently. Thinking a few days on it, but its a great deal. This would also have reverse.

I live in Western Washington, which is fantastic for hiking, walking deep into dense tall trees, but its not great for offroading, just too thick to go far. Ill do the bulk of my riding in Oregon, and some forest service roads in Idaho.

Here are a few good spots in Oregon:
If your willing to drive to the middle of nowhere:
-Christmas Valley Sand Dunes:

-Winchester Bay on the Oregon Coast:

Attachments

• IMG_20190316_193154708.jpg
    IMG_20190316_193154708.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yea, sand can be a giant horsepower suck. You are better off with the sled engine. I know my me the sand is like baby powder. Too much horse power and some archaeologist will find you and your kart or bike 5,000 years later. The joys of living right off of Lake Michigan.

TNThomas

Reaction score
Yea, sand can be a giant horsepower suck. You are better off with the sled engine. I know my me the sand is like baby powder. Too much horse power and some archaeologist will find you and your kart or bike 5,000 years later. The joys of living right off of Lake Michigan.
Whew! That thin sand/silt is crazy! I am giving it a couple days on the Snowmobile engine before I totally jump ship on the 670. Looking up reliability, common issues, and obstacles to mounting everything. I am far more familiar with motorcycle engines. Stay tuned...

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I learned on the old Regency sand dunes here in N. FL. about the advantage of a big 4.50 super knobby rear tire on my first thumper bike.
Same lesson applies to karts and sleds too. The wider and deeper cut of ground contact you can get, the less you'll La Brea out of sight.

TNThomas

Reaction score
I changed my mind on the snowmobile engine, just a little to much custom work to modify it to work. Its much more power than the 670, but im worried ill be a little in-over-my-head disecting a snowmobile. Im not a big fan if how high the rpms are in thise engines either (same with sport bikrs). The driven cvt is an odd ball diameter mounting hole, which will cause some mounting issues for a jackshaft. The sled equivilant of a jackshaft also woyld complicate a few mounting options. I think test running a 800cc 2-stroke engine mifht make a few angry neighbors as well.

I think in this case the K.I.S.S. principlal is warrented. Keep it simple stupid. The 670 should more than suite my needs. I am thinking of ditching the extra axle idea again. My main reason for wanting it is for weight distribution so I don't bend the axles. I have a percectly good brand new 670cc 4 stroke, abd im taking a risk getting the 800cc, and it was recently rebuilt, so there is another risk there (hasn't been ran yet).

However, I could simply run a single axle and put the main support bearings WAY out wide, within a few inches of the rear tire. This would drastically reduce torque on the shaft from big impacts on the ground, and reduce the chance of my 1" dia axle. Lower build costs, and get me into the field faster.

Last edited:

TNThomas

Reaction score
I just ordered the primary drive CVT. Most folks say to run a Comet 780 on the 670, but there is a company called CVTech out of Canada that essentially makes a heavy duty version of the 780, so I went with that. Bought it from Vegascarts.com. I also picked up a machined pulley that VegasCarts makes to run an alternator off of. Sits right behind the CVT. I found a photo of the both the CVTech CVT and the Pulley rigged up on a Predator 670. Should be handy as it will charge at Idle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-233300_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-233300_Chrome.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20221109-233341_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-233341_Chrome.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Eyh414cD3_mid.jpg
    Eyh414cD3_mid.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 10

TNThomas

Reaction score
Cut and welded 2 bars to beef up the steering support and to act as a dash. Next ill weld on two vertical "hangers" to beef it up a little more.

I also cast about 400 .308" bullets for target shooting this weekend. Most is destined for a beautiful 7.5x55 Swiss K31 with Diopters. Fun start to the weekend. Thank you for your service Veterans!

Attachments

• 20221111_142720.jpg
    20221111_142720.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221111_021801.jpg
    20221111_021801.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8