Go-kart engines not many people use but should

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
1. 440cc duromax

The Duramax has freaking 18 horsepower completely stock and it cost just as much as a 420cc predator which only makes 13 hp! That is almost as much power as a stage 4 predator 212 but is half the price. People should really start using this engine more often.

2. Briggs and Stratton Raptor

There is really no excuse to not have one of these, it's a cool old racing engine that you can find for under 300 dollars. I honestly have no idea why I haven't bought one yet (there's a bunch on offer up)
(couldn't find a link)

3. Tecumseh 6.5 hp

Let's just face the facts, Tecumsehs are not that great of an engine. It's more of that engine that just is on every crappy go-kart for sale. BUT you can put performance mods to get this thing making as much as the Duramax at around the same price because all parts for Tecumsehs are dirt cheap if even that.

4. Tillotson 212

I know this engine is used a lot, but not as much as it should be. These engines are relatively cheap (about as much as a stage 1 212) but make 10 hp completely stock with a muffler, with the airbox, and with the governor. If you want a step up from your predator, this is the engine to buy.

5. Rotary Engine

Honestly, I think that everyone should have one of these on their old go-kart or mini bike because they are unique, Not very many people own one of these where everyone owns a predator or a Briggs. Even though these engines are hard to find (depending on where you live) they are still pretty cool
(couldn't find a link)

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I heartily concur on the Raptor! Sadly I can't get ahold of one, but instead I upgraded my stock one to approximately Raptor-spec!

Nathannewbie

Reaction score
Raptor 700, 660 or yfz 450
With both the 660 and the 450 having around 40 hp and the 700 having around 45-50. Imagine what you could do with that in a little go kart. My raptor 700 is fast as **** now imagine doing that in your little go kart.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yeeeaah the problem with Raptor engines are as follows:
1 - Hard to find unless you live in a very ATV friendly place (which means not here in Texas)
2 - More expensive than a lot of industrial engines
3 - 40 HP sounds like a ton of fun, but at the same time I kind of want to LIVE. On anything except a racing kart, that kind of engine is literally an accident waiting to happen (I've heard how crazy Raptors are on the stock ATV frame, not anxious to try it on a sketchy kart frame.

Nathannewbie

Reaction score
Yeeeaah the problem with Raptor engines are as follows:
1 - Hard to find unless you live in a very ATV friendly place (which means not here in Texas)
2 - More expensive than a lot of industrial engines
3 - 40 HP sounds like a ton of fun, but at the same time I kind of want to LIVE. On anything except a racing kart, that kind of engine is literally an accident waiting to happen (I've heard how crazy Raptors are on the stock ATV frame, not anxious to try it on a sketchy kart frame.
Really? I'd think thered be lots in Texas.

I've got a raptor. They really aren't that crazy. It would be loads of fun in a bigger size kart.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
hang on.. no B&S raptor can put out anything near 40 horses
you are talking Yamaha raptor.. two very different bred engines.

And comparing an industrial engine (anything mcrib listed above)
with a full fledged motorcycle engine is ... apples and oranges

I mean it's like saying
"hey.. your 700cc yamaha has 50 horses, my 750cc Suzuki has 135 horses"
(and that at least would copare two motorcycle style engines ;))

Anyways.. I felt like it's important to note that
Raptor=/= Raptor when talking Yamaha versus Briggs and Stratton .

'sid

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Oh no I knew he was talking about a Yamaha Raptor, make no mistake. Haha though it can be confusing with those two!
But yeah you'd be surprised, all the ATVs in Texas seem to mostly be in the more rural areas, not where I live. The ATVs and buggies that are here seem to be entirely new Polarises.

Nathannewbie

Reaction score
Oh no I knew he was talking about a Yamaha Raptor, make no mistake. Haha though it can be confusing with those two!
But yeah you'd be surprised, all the ATVs in Texas seem to mostly be in the more rural areas, not where I live. The ATVs and buggies that are here seem to be entirely new Polarises.
Poo poo is getting big for sure.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no I knew he was talking about a Yamaha Raptor, make no mistake.
since you were clearly referring to ATVs in your post above, I didn't ;)
but the FIRST post is clearly referring to B&S Raptor engines, not engines taken from YAMAHA Raptors,
so I thought pointing that out (in case someone might get confused) wouldn't be a bad idea.
Especially since your first post here
I heartily concur on the Raptor! Sadly I can't get ahold of one, but instead I upgraded my stock one to approximately Raptor-spec!
was clearly referring to the B&S Raptor

And while you and I know the difference (as well as many others here)
I bet I could name two people that did NOT ;)
(no I wouldn't!)

Anyways.. proceed!

'sid

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Champion engines are supposedly really good. A flathead raptor would be good. Duromax engines...I've read mixed results with those. No experience. Rotary engines were kind of popular for snowmobiles back in the 70s and 80s I think, then fell off the face of the Earth.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I do know Generac is probably one of the best for home backup generators. According to their FAQ, the OHVI engines are designed and built in Wisconsin. The OHV are not made in the states, they do appear to be Rato.