Frankenstein kart/Not the original!

Vtdad28

Reaction score
If you are running a centrifugal clutch it will be easier on it with the 13's. Where will the kart be used? Maybe you already own the clutch. If not, a 30 series torque converter ( what you want to use with any 212cc engine ) is pretty reasonable, maybe even cheaper than a decent quality clutch, and a LOT more versatile.
It will be used wherever the kids dare take it. We have a decent driveway and yard for them to putt around in but we also have a lot of woods. I already have the clutch, so was trying to make do with what I had at the moment

Vtdad28

Reaction score
Doubtful a clutch will work well with 16” tires. I have had two different clutche on two different engines on the same small kart and neither worked worth a diddily! And the tires were a lot smaller.
What size tires? If I have to buy some 10” ones I will, was just trying to use what I had. Would probably be cheaper to use the tires I have and get a torque converter

Master Hack

Reaction score
Would probably be cheaper to use the tires I have and get a torque converter
Yeah, probably. A TC is only, well l don’t really remember, but i think $50-60. I’m too lazy tolook it up. Do you already have the clutch? if yer buying a clutch, the difference between that and TC is neglible. If you have one, try it, got nothing to loose, sept a little time to change it later.

edit: just re read, so you have the clutch. The above still applies.

Last edited:

panchothedog

Reaction score
Yeh, might as well try what you already own. Stay with the 13's. A torque converter would probably be cheaper than 2 smaller tires, and then you could run the 16's with no problem. For driving with the centrifugal clutch try to lay out a course ahead of time where your kids can just take off and go. A lot of stop and start driving ( like when you are not sure where you're going ) or also a lot of low speed part throttle cruising will cause the clutch to fail. Get in, nail the gas, keep it there, and drive. For letting the kids out into the woods and kinda hunt and peck and find their way a torque converter CAN'T be beat.

Vtdad28

Reaction score
Yeh, might as well try what you already own. Stay with the 13's. A torque converter would probably be cheaper than 2 smaller tires, and then you could run the 16's with no problem. For driving with the centrifugal clutch try to lay out a course ahead of time where your kids can just take off and go. A lot of stop and start driving ( like when you are not sure where you're going ) or also a lot of low speed part throttle cruising will cause the clutch to fail. Get in, nail the gas, keep it there, and drive. For letting the kids out into the woods and kinda hunt and peck and find their way a torque converter CAN'T be beat.
Sounds like I need to start planning my track!!!

Vtdad28

Reaction score
So if I went with a torque converter, could I stay with the 60 tooth sprocket and 13” tires? I can get 13” tires and rims for less than just rims for the 16” tires and they are 6.5 wide and can only find a 7” rim.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
as has been said before....centrifugal clutches must be driven WIDE OPEN...( that's why they are used for "track" racing. Torque converters are for "Variable throttle" as in OFF ROAD........don't try to use one where it doesn't belong....it won't work for long !

Da redflash
A TC will last MUCH longer than a clutch even on a fairly flat yard. The freedom than is afforded by a TC is nice as well. part of the fun that karts give is freedom.

Vtdad28

Reaction score
as has been said before....centrifugal clutches must be driven WIDE OPEN...( that's why they are used for "track" racing. Torque converters are for "Variable throttle" as in OFF ROAD........don't try to use one where it doesn't belong....it won't work for long !

Da redflash
We have enough space that it could be driven wide open, and I could build them a track if they actually get into it. I don’t mind going to the torque converter, just hoping to still use the 13” tires with the 6:1? Or would I go with a 12 tooth torque converter?

panchothedog

Reaction score
Vtdad . With a 6:1 ratio ( usually 10 x 60 sprockets, but could be 12 x 72, doesn't matter gear ratio is math ) you could run any tire you want. Up to and including 20" . From my experience, 7" rims and tires are sort of the Odd man out. For the four karts I own, I have two sets of tires for each. 6" & 8" for the fronts , and 8" & 10" for the rear. Have even bought 3 sets used off of Craigslist. Never ran across a 7 incher. Important: the above comment about any size you want is WITH a torque converter.

Vtdad28

Reaction score
Vtdad . With a 6:1 ratio ( usually 10 x 60 sprockets, but could be 12 x 72, doesn't matter gear ratio is math ) you could run any tire you want. Up to and including 20" . From my experience, 7" rims and tires are sort of the Odd man out. For the four karts I own, I have two sets of tires for each. 6" & 8" for the fronts , and 8" & 10" for the rear. Have even bought 3 sets used off of Craigslist. Never ran across a 7 incher. Important: the above comment about any size you want is WITH a torque converter.
Okay great. Thank you

Vtdad28

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these split rims from bmi karts?

Attachments

• 1C8C1519-BE1B-42F7-BD0D-5BFB44A11564.png
    1C8C1519-BE1B-42F7-BD0D-5BFB44A11564.png
    519.4 KB · Views: 1

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
My grandsons buggy came with 7" wheels from factory. The only 7" tires that were available was those V- tread crap tires. I've switched the rear to 8" wheels and now have a variety of different treads to choice from. When the front tires wear down to nothing, they will get some 8" wheels too.

Master Hack

Reaction score
the bottom line here is, stick with the 6:1 gearing. It seems to work best with these things. TCs work better than CCs unless yer just flat out on a paved track.
horsepower is good, and the kids will have fun if you can keep it all together and running right. There is a learning curve, so jump in and learn!

Vtdad28

Reaction score
the bottom line here is, stick with the 6:1 gearing. It seems to work best with these things. TCs work better than CCs unless yer just flat out on a paved track.
horsepower is good, and the kids will have fun if you can keep it all together and running right. There is a learning curve, so jump in and learn!
I’ll stick with the 6:1 because I already have the axel sprocket and I’m gunna end up just buying a torque converter so I don’t have to deal with it once I get it going for them so I’ll stick with the 10 tooth on that!

Vtdad28

Reaction score
I started welding in another longer bracket/support for the pillow blocks so I can re adjust where I was putting things and get a rod for the brake so I’m not going into moms car like Denny said lmao

Attachments

• AAA61FE1-B4B4-4BB5-8CD3-2BAE7008EC95.jpeg
    AAA61FE1-B4B4-4BB5-8CD3-2BAE7008EC95.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4