Franken buggy is getting paint

Master Hack

Reaction score
This rolling scrap yard that l assembled last year is getting some paint and body panels.
to refresh your memories this is the collection of scrap metal of which l speak.
4DBADB1D-8287-4D1D-9209-A801D1FC312F.jpeg

so l plan to put a coat of blue paint on it. Mainly to keep rust away.
in the process of stripping it down and thinking about options for body panels, l stumbled across some really cool perf material, in my collection of materials. So l fabbed up one panel and stuck it on.
Now what do you think? Opinions please!
A1445B68-00AB-45A6-BE9F-775629C84DD5.jpeg

I think it should work well. Its .090 thick, light weight, 50% aluminum + 50% air!
l‘ll need to scrounge more to finish, so if the majority opinion is, butt ugly, l’ll. Go with solid stock.
l’m going to get the chassis prepped so l can start shooting paint on the first 60 degree day.
it needs to painted and re assembled by April 20. Stay tuned!

panchothedog

Reaction score
Personally I like the looks of your kart in its open framework configuration.
But Hey, that's just my opinion. You and your Grandkids opinion are the ones that matter. But the design looks wicked cool.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Thanks! I like the open look as well but, the front tires throw a lot of dirt at the driver during turns. That is the main reason for some body work. The perf material is a nice alternative to solid aluminum sheets, l think, but l’ve been told my ideas can be a little weird. The panels are easily removed if desired.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Surely someone thinks it looks like crap?
Not like crap, just like a different kind of idea, go whole hog and forget what anybody else thinks. As for my own opinion specifically, if that's Nomex aluminum, letting you see out while keeping dirt from getting in, yeehah! You have a winner.
Purely my otherwise opinion, don't panel over any of the suspension, that's the coolest looking part of the kart.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Personally I like the solid stuff better. It doesn’t let as much water through and less chance of it snagging on small branches. But it doesn’t look like carp as is. Do what you want it’s your grandkids that will be disappointed!! :roflol:

Master Hack

Reaction score
I haven’t thought about it cuz my mind has been overloaded with the logistics of this whole project and the associated deadline but: I have a good source for aluminum sheet, so why not have both? Solid and perf panels? There would be several options for skins. l like that idea. Just a few 1/4x20 button heads holding the panels on.

Last edited:

Master Hack

Reaction score
Most of the time flying debris isn’t a big problem, but a few weeks ago grandson #2 wanted to take a few hot laps, so l agreed. Well here in Oregon it rains occasionaly. You may have heard rumors of such. And here at Rancho do Nada we have nice sticky clay soil.
So, after 2 laps the poor kid came back to the shop, plastered with mud and grass.
thats when we decided to put some skins on the beast!
When we go out to the desert sandblasting is the problem.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Most of the time flying debris isn’t a big problem, but a few weeks ago grandson #2 wanted to take a few hot laps, so l agreed. Well here in Oregon it rains occasionaly. You may have heard rumors of such. And here at Rancho do Nada we have nice sticky clay soil.
So, after 2 laps the poor kid came back to the shop, plastered with mud and grass.
thats when we decided to put some skins on the beast!
When we go out to the desert sandblasting is the problem.
Just tell 'em when karting, getting covered with "nature" is a Free Bonus :thumbsup:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
When me and my brother used to mud our karts it looked like nature puked on us. But a couple of bucks at the spray car wash took care of that!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
...fresh air & rock screens :thumbsup:
Solid and perf panels?
Most of the time flying debris isn’t a big problem
Anybody besides myself wear contact lenses? It's the main reason I like fenders, the dirty clothes can be washed, not "me glazzies". (Kubrick's Clockwork Orange.) Dust slung up against perf panels keeps going right on through. My Acuvue 2's are disposable, but I don't want to dispose of a pair, and half a bottle of eyewash, every time I hit the throttle. Ever consider plexiglas?

Master Hack

Reaction score
Ever consider plexiglas?
Yes, actually. I would have to pay for that. Aluminum is really cheap often free. My inner cheapskate is showing.
The kids have to wear helmet and goggles when driving, so thats not a real issue.
Big kids should but often dont. I’ve had cataracts removed so l have plastic (bionic) lenses. I wear goggles, crap in the eyes is really miserable!
the perf material should work well enough, but after a few hours of testing we may go solid material or back to nothing at all.

Master Hack

Reaction score
So I scored some more perf material and made some more panels for this rolling scrap yard. The blue tape is just there so I can get a picture of how it might look with blue paint on the chassis and raw aluminum panels. Oh, and yeah I stripped of the suspension parts so when and if it ever gets warmer I can start painting.

IMG_3090.jpeg
IMG_3092.jpeg
IMG_3093.jpeg

Cartinfun

Reaction score
Honestly I'm undecided on it. It doesn't look horrible. How much do all the panels weigh? I've thought about putting panels on ours so I can have more space for the paint theme we went with. But, I should work on getting it running before more body panels.

Last edited:

Master Hack

Reaction score
Well, apparently I have crossed the ugly barrier. Crickets and a polite answer tipped me off. I'm pretty observant that way...
I'll have to admit it looks like some kind of time machine or half baked submarine idea (think 20000 leagues).
It actually looks better up close and personal and with wheels and suspension attached.
So damn the (verbal) torpedoes and full speed ahead. I know you all would be disappointed if I were to just do something normal anyway.
It all comes off easily with a few button heads, so there are several possibilities as far as skins go. None of which would be considered mainstream or normal. So stay tuned for more weird ideas...
We call it Frank and Stein motor werks for a reason!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
No sir, not after that last talking to you gave me! I still have some bruises! You 70 year old guys can hit hard.

Last edited: