Finally getting around to the small dingos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerft85

Reaction score
I pulled the second dingo frame in the garage last night and started sanding the 15 layers of paint, and ground away all the nasty welds that were on it. I've only got one original roll cage for these two, but I'll be using the large frame dingo for parts, plan on cutting the cage down to fit over the small frame, and I'll rob the live axle and wheels from the large dingo too. The large frame was a fun project, but it doesn't drive well at all, I blame the extensive repairs it needed from the P.O., plus I just prefer how the small frame rides. Not saying it's never been done, but should come out unique looking with the use of parts from both models. Here it is sitting next to the "junkyard dog", both frames are identical. Once the stripped one is finished I'll start on the junkyard dog and have both cleaned up nice.

20191222_125101.jpg

Smerft85

Reaction score
Cut 6" out of the front, and 8.5" out of the height of the roll cage, considering welding the cage all together and to the frame, maybe add a few extra supports while I'm at it. I don't even have an engine picked out for it yet, but with the cage and the harness I have laying around I might go a little crazy with it, if I do I'll think strongly about turning the back into a swing arm and maybe do a better front suspension too, something like an oddesey maybe.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20191222_210707.jpg

20191222_210651.jpg

20191223_213255.jpg

20191223_213325.jpg

Cage is almost all welded and shortened, since I have three of those Hondas in running condition I'll likely use one of them, the shaft is wrong on the engine pictured, but I have another that is almost new with the correct shaft, but the head and carb need replaced after being ran over with a skid loader, also have a good head with carb, so a little Frankenstein work with a couple engines and I'll have a newer engine ready to go. If I can afford it with taxes I'll build up the honda I choose instead of hacking the main frame for suspension.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Are they GX200s or something else??
Also, what's that V-sumthin' engine on the side? It catches my eye.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Are they GX200s or something else??
Also, what's that V-sumthin' engine on the side? It catches my eye.

They are gx200 and I think I've got a gx160 on the shelf too. They may be other models than the gx series, I've only got one that has a keyed straight shaft, others are either tapered or threaded with no keyway.

The v6 on the floor is a blown engine out of my little brothers 08 eclipse gt, it's a 3.8 and a pile of feces, the new engine that took it's place is junk in my opinion too, upon instal I fired it up, it idled for about 5 seconds and acted like it ran out of gas, haven't gotten it to start again after a month of messing with it, and two A.S.E. tech's looking it over, don't buy Mitsubishi!

Smerft85

Reaction score
Got the cage pretty much cut to size and welded back together to fit on the smaller frame, anyone want to give some pros and cons to welding the cage and frame all as one solid piece?

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Basically, the more pieces are welded in place, the stronger and safer it will be, but it may be harder to get in and out of. Case in point: Carsandcameras' Cross Kart.
They have to kind of drop in to the cockpit.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
A welded cage will hold up better than a bolted one. Should be more ridged and hold up to abuse better.

950speed

Reaction score
Just make sure there are no points in the cage that will flex to much and crack welds, I’ve had that happen and it’s frustrating

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Just make sure there are no points in the cage that will flex to much and crack welds, I’ve had that happen and it’s frustrating

Reinforcing any potential weak points will help, but it could lead to the frame itself being the part that gives.

950speed

Reaction score
What I was trying to say is don’t create a weld joint in a place which might need to have some flexibility if that makes any sense

Smerft85

Reaction score
What I was trying to say is don’t create a weld joint in a place which might need to have some flexibility if that makes any sense

All good, I gathered. I'll start welding it all up solid this weekend, got two more rolls of flux core wire to burn up for Christmas and probably 4 pounds left of my last 10 pound roll. Now for more grinder disks.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Not sure about your grinder, but I found my small arbor Ryobi will run both 3-1/2" and 4-1/2" wheels. I get reasonable serivce from a 10 pack of the Dewalt 4-1/2" cutoff wheels at TSC.

For most weld grinding and paint removal I really like a good flap disk. These are awesome for metal finishing and shaping wood too.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Smerft85

Reaction score
I have a dewalt 4.5" I've rebuilt twice, it's seen about a million wheels weather they be wire wheel, cutting, grinding or flap disk, heavy grit flap disks also smooth a weld to the point of it vanishing in work that needs to look good. I honestly feel bad for my grinder, I've beat the life out of it and it keeps asking for more. I'll spend probably $40 or so on just grinder wheels of all sorts at the freight.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20200105_225541.jpg

20200105_225604.jpg

A little progress tonight, it isn't the camera, the cage is slightly tweaked from rolling the large frame, straightened it out far better than it was. Almost finished, still need to grind down the welds, check them and strip the rest of the paint, add one more seat support, and maybe a few more support bars here are there. So far I like the look, might be picking up a new 6.5hp clone tomorrow at some point in trade, I'll probably use it while I build another one up a little bit.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20200106_132103.jpg

20200106_132142.jpg

Got the engine, it's new in box till I opened it, old version of a predator, I don't think harbor freight sells them under the greyhound name anymore, but I sure wish the price was the same, 8/26/11 was the original purchase date, with a $73.17 total after tax, no coupon used!

Status
Not open for further replies.