Ed's "Black-Terror of Death"! ....mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
No clue what it came from.... Here are pix of it and the chaincase.

What'd you do to the Clone?! (Pic #2) :roflol:

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
That clone had to shed it's gas tank for a smaller one, so it'd fit on the Treefrog.
That Polaris is a monster... after hearing Ed fire it up, I HAD to have some sort of snowmobile engine. Mine is that insignificant chunk of aluminum behind Ed's motor.Our weather is so stinking hot outside, it's a bit hard to get moving on this stuff.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Does anyone have a way of getting specs on the "TXL" sled, or whatever it is? I've tried researching this motor by it's model# (Fuji Heavy Industries) and by Polaris txl... not coming up with much. I know the motor will move the kart no problem- I'm trying to figure out the clutch engagement speed. On my motor, things start to move (on the clutch) at about 3000 rpm. THIS THING, you have to wind up pretty tight to get the clutch to move.... not good for this project. If I can find out the PTO shaft dimensions, I might try to find a belt-pincher clutch with a lower engagement speed. Or maybe this clutch is just a bit "gummy"....?

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP! It looked like it almost nose-dived! That would have been disastrous.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP! It looked like it almost nose-dived! That would have been disastrous.
...he smacked his head pretty good against the rear-view mirror! We figured that the preload on the front shocks was too soft, so we're going to crank them up a bit.

Brief update:
It appears that Ed is going to lose his rear suspension. The rear swingarm area is just too narrow to fit the Polaris motor and chain-case into. Also, with well over 3 or 4 times the original weight on the swingarm (farther from the pivot point, even!), it would drive like the tail was wagging the dog. (Too much un-sprung weight.) Ultimately, I'll have to get the OK from Ed, before I go any further.
Here are pix of the chain-case in place.... it's going to determine the alignment of the engine. The motor is so stinking large, it'll barely fit between the rear wheels. I'm going to weld a pair of diagonal struts to replace the shocks.

That Goofball-looking shaft sticking out of the chaincase is a perfect 1" dia.... I'll just weld on the proper drive sprocket (getting rid of the extra stuff) and support it with a pillow-block bearing! This thing is slick... it's even got hydraulic disk brakes front and rear!

Last edited:

newrider3

Reaction score
Why not mount the engine to the chassis, and mount the chaincase with the output shaft in line with the swingarm pivot. Then just a chain to the rear axle. And since it all stays in line, the chain stays tight. Gives you better suspension as well.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
I'll have to drag (OW! My back!) Ed's motor out of the shed and place it next to the kart so you can get an idea of it's relative size. Even if I were able to support it above the swing-arm, allowing for travel, having that much weight that high on something that's only 48" wide is a scary thought. (The base of the motor would be 32" off the ground to clear the swingarm travel.
If anything the LowRider taught me that you can't keep the weight low enough to the ground. It'll corner decently, and then without warning, it'll lift a wheel and force you to correct quickly! I think the rear tires are spongy/bouncy enough to give some cushioning, and I'd feel better about the way the kart handles, before unleashing it on him. Who knows, though. If the motor wasn't so D_MNED heavy, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Brief update: This project hasn't died by any means. Ed hasn't exactly had the funds for the materials on this, so I said I'd use what's left over from the Lowrider to finish this one. Being that I'm pretty much done with the other project, this one will start moving again. Besides, I feel better about cutting my teeth on my own junk before I mess up someone else's.
Ed's fine with the solid swingarm thing, and this should be a walk in the park compared to the other one. Everything is matched and together (except for the belt), so it should be do-able. As excited as I am about my own project, THIS one gives me goosebumps. This motor is BAD_SSED!

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Why not mount the engine to the chassis, and mount the chaincase with the output shaft in line with the swingarm pivot. Then just a chain to the rear axle. And since it all stays in line, the chain stays tight. Gives you better suspension as well.

This idea gets my vote. Believe me you might regret getting rid of the suspension. It becomes even more important as you go FASTER (and by the looks of that engine, it will fly!)

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
With all the "Project Juggling" I've been doing, Ed's Kart keeps getting Back-Burnered, but it will soon have it's day. My wife's bike is 1 battery away from completion, the 2 seat Manco will soon be sold, and I can start in on this thing.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Look's like he mixed PVS and ABS. Now that's ***-burgered. Your title should be something like ***-Burger Ltd or Encorporation.

Status
Not open for further replies.