Dash Board wiring

electraglide

Reaction score
Anyone know how to wire the dash board / switch panel of a Trailmaster MID XRX. with greater detail on the electric starter hookupXRX Dash Board.jpgXRX Dash Board.jpg

Karttekk

Reaction score
I just swapped out the electric start components from a bad 6.5 HP engine to a 6.5 Predator on a Hammerhead 80T buggy which is the same machine. It needed a new key switch due to it having no key. I had to re-pin the new key switch because the wires in the switch didn't match the wires in the factory harness. Is the factory harness still intact? The thin, red wire fastens to the same fat post on the solenoid as does the positive battery wire. The black wire with the white stripe plugs into the black wire coming off of the coil. That is your engine kill wire that comes from the red stop button on the dash. What problem are you having?

Attachments

• TM Mid wiring.jpg
    TM Mid wiring.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 18

Karttekk

Reaction score
On the 80T I just finished, the male end of the black wire from the red stop button goes into the female end of the "ignition control module." Pushing the red stop button in grounds the coil and kills the engine. That diagram is a bit misleading or slightly different from the 80T.

electraglide

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. One problem is that the kart has been spray painted and it's hard to see what colors the wires are. My story continues:
This Kart has been bought and sold several times. When I got it was painted over including some of the wiring so it’s hard to tell what colors they are. Did not get a key either. I know next to nothing about mechanics or wiring, I just go by pictures and labels and use that as a reference. This is what little I know and that might not be accurate. The red traced wire comes from harness to I don’t know what that is. Whatever that is has the + sign on it and that yellow traced wire is just dangling there. Also on whatever that is the solid yellow line wire is connected to the top side of the starter. The green one is grounded to the engine pull starter cover. The blue ( comes from the harness ) and brown appear to go to the rectifier. The brown one also goes to underneath the engine. The purple traced wire is also just dangling there. The white dotted traced wire is connected into the top of the engine.

I tried to connect that + wire ( yellow dotted ) to the positive of a 12v battery and I grounded the negative side to the engine housing hoping that I could bypass the ignition switch. Nothing happened unless I did something wrong. Could be that since I don’t have a key might also be the problem. If that is the case maybe I could jump the 4 pin connector to the key switch but I don’t know how to do that. Don’t wanna short anything out.

Any help would surely be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Starter Labeled.jpg
    Starter Labeled.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Dashboard Labeled.jpg
    Dashboard Labeled.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

electraglide

Reaction score
Karttekk ... thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it. where did you find that wiring diagram. I could use more literature so's I can study up on this Kart. I have the owners manual but that is half written, the other half you have to guess.

electraglide

Reaction score
Functional Artist: Thanks for taking an interest. The kill switch works. I probably could trace the horn and lights But most likely I would not be using them. I'll put those in the back burner for now. I am mainly wanting to get the electric started going as I am getting tired of pulling the cord after it floods.

Karttekk

Reaction score
It's getting later here, I'll look at this tomorrow and get you going. In the meantime, if you would, edit that first picture with the dots if you can. Most of these harnesses have Molex connectors that match up. There aren't many back there. Take another look at them & see if any match up.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Karttekk ... thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it. where did you find that wiring diagram. I could use more literature so's I can study up on this Kart. I have the owners manual but that is half written, the other half you have to guess.
I found the wiring diagram by doing a search on Google for Trailmaster mid wiring diagram. The Trailmaster and Hammerhead 80T or Mudhead are pretty much the same machine. Google Trailmaster or Hammerhead, you'll find a bunch of stuff.

This is my go to vendor for parts. Great people. https://hammerheadperformance.com/

Karttekk

Reaction score
@Karttekk always comes out with the best diagrams. don't know where he finds 'em. Maybe he'll share his secrets with us peasants...
Bacon, here's what I do to find those diagrams. If someone has a Manco question, I go to Go Kart Supply and hopefully find the model in question by using this chart: https://www.gokartsupply.com/mancogokarts.htm

The next step is going to American Landmaster since they took over American Sportworks. https://americanlandmaster.com/. American Sportworks was originally Manco. Once you're on Landmaster's site, go to the Manuals/Parts List link at the top of the home page. You'll get a menu on the left side of the page. Scroll to Fun Kart manuals, then manuals in the next menu on the right. There you'll find a list of almost every Manco model number produced. Say if someone is asking about a Manco Scorpion, go to Go Kart Supply's Manco list and try to find it there. Once you do, go to Landmaster's site and find it in their list. The Scorpion is model #606C-14 on Go Kart Supply's list. Scroll to that number on Landmaster's site, the manual should be there. I use Microsoft Paint to crop and edit any illustrations so the whole page isn't copied. If someone is asking about a YerfDog, I go to BMI Karts' site and try to find the model there for the manual. https://www.yerf-dog.com/

Karttekk

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. One problem is that the kart has been spray painted and it's hard to see what colors the wires are. My story continues:
This Kart has been bought and sold several times. When I got it was painted over including some of the wiring so it’s hard to tell what colors they are. Did not get a key either. I know next to nothing about mechanics or wiring, I just go by pictures and labels and use that as a reference. This is what little I know and that might not be accurate. The red traced wire comes from harness to I don’t know what that is. Whatever that is has the + sign on it and that yellow traced wire is just dangling there. Also on whatever that is the solid yellow line wire is connected to the top side of the starter. The green one is grounded to the engine pull starter cover. The blue ( comes from the harness ) and brown appear to go to the rectifier. The brown one also goes to underneath the engine. The purple traced wire is also just dangling there. The white dotted traced wire is connected into the top of the engine.

I tried to connect that + wire ( yellow dotted ) to the positive of a 12v battery and I grounded the negative side to the engine housing hoping that I could bypass the ignition switch. Nothing happened unless I did something wrong. Could be that since I don’t have a key might also be the problem. If that is the case maybe I could jump the 4 pin connector to the key switch but I don’t know how to do that. Don’t wanna short anything out.

Any help would surely be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The first thing I would do is pick up a good 12V test light, it's your best friend dealing with these wires. I would pick up a new key switch, it includes a new key. The old key switch comes out by squeezing two tabs behind it in the dash and pushing it out. I ran into a problem with a new key switch. The wires in the switch didn't match the wires in the harness. I had to push the wires out of the switch and reinsert them to match the harness. no big deal there. Your wiring looks right from what I can tell. It would be easier to see them without the distracting dots. On my kart, the thin red wire is tied into the fuse holder and the voltage regulator plus it fastens to the positive post on the starter. The green wire is grounded to the engine shroud/cover. The black wire with the white stripe connects to the coil wire coming from behind the shroud, it's the stop button wire. Remove that yellow dotted wire from the starter. Does your kart have a powered tail light? Maybe the brown wire powers it if equipped. I'm thinking with a new key switch and key you might be okay. Make sure your battery is good and fully charged. Report back with any updates. I'll get you a picture of how mine is setup in the meantime.

electraglide

Reaction score
Thanks Karttekk ... I will get a 12v test light, Youtube it and learn how to use it. New picks are attached. four loose wires. I think C & D were connected by just a thread, Can I jump the 4 pin connector and bypass the on/off key switch. Gonna try and get this Kart registered as a Low Speed Vehicle ( Texas ) If I can't the I won't be using Lights, Horn only electric start. Can I get by with the 12v Warrior Battery. By the way , from the Pos & Neg on the battery to what do I connect them to. On the 3rd pic ..... shouldn't something be going into that socket ? Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• Starter Wiring Redone.jpg
    Starter Wiring Redone.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Key On Off.jpg
    Key On Off.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • Empty Socket.jpg
    Empty Socket.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 9

Karttekk

Reaction score
Much better pictures. You're missing a fuse holder. Part of it is A and it looks like the other part is D. The fat positive battery wire connects to the solenoid post where that socket wire B is connected or behind it. It looks like it was connected to C at one point. That is a power feed from the key switch. The starter on my kart doesn't have a solenoid, it has a relay with one positive post. The fat black wire running on top of the engine looks like a main starter wire. There should be a fat red wire from the battery to one solenoid post and the other fat red wire runs from the other solenoid post into the starter. The solenoid is basically a relay. The fat battery ground wire bolts to the fan shroud where the green wire is. Pull the boot back where that socket is & see if there's a post behind it. Get a fuse holder before you connect any hot wires. If something goes sideways with no fuse things will start burning. Here's a fuse holder: https://www.bmikarts.com/In-line-Fuse-Holder--Includes-20-Amp_p_25124.html. I'll include a picture of one that's open. I wouldn't worry about the key switch just yet. Connect a fuse holder, attach the battery wires then jump the solenoid posts to see if the engine cranks. Put a fuse holder between A and D. Put a fat red positive wire with an eyelet on it from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid post where D is. Put a butt connector from B to C.

Attachments

• opened fuse holder.jpg
    opened fuse holder.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0

Karttekk

Reaction score
I think there should be a kill switch wire coming out of the harness to the coil. Mine is a black wire with a white stripe. You can always pull the coil wire off of the spark plug once it starts in the meantime. Don't worry about that just yet.

electraglide

Reaction score
Thanks Karttekk ..... You have given me hope and a positive spin on the idea of owning a kart instead of a can of worms. I'll do as you instructed and will keep you posted.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Not a whole lot to see here but this is how the wiring is with the 80T I just finished. Hope these help.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 9
  • wiring II.jpg
    wiring II.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 8
  • wiring III.jpg
    wiring III.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 8