Ct200u ex upgrade advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revwhop

Reaction score
After a weekend of fun on my brothers 2 Bajas. I Just bought a Coleman ct200u ex from ts. It is still in box.
I am lookin for advise on things to make this as durable as possible with power for trail riding(sand, water,mud holes will be involved) and friendly racing(I am very bad loser). It needs to lug my 200lbs.
No budget but no need to get crazy either. Just what is needed to accomplish goals

Tc or hrm jack shaft setup?

Better carb?
Exhaust?
Engine component kit and install or buy new upgraded engine? Needed?

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
Here's a torque converter for this bike:
https://www.gopowersports.com/coleman-ct200-series-torque-converter-kit-cover-may-be-blue-or-black-please-read-description/
And here's a stage 1 kit:
https://www.gopowersports.com/stage-1-coleman-ct200u-ex-mb200-baja-warrior-performance-kit/

If you want some more engine speed, you can remove the governor, but dont upgrade the springs. The oem springs float before the speed where the rods typically blow. If you want even more rpm, a billet rod and flywheel will be necessary.
Another cheap option for some more power:
https://www.arcracing.com/dj-1100-stamped-ratio-rocker-1-3-sold-individually/
And you'll need this.
https://www.arcracing.com/gxc-412-00-rod-guide-plate/

This does almost the same thing as a higher lift cam, but also causes faster valvetrain wear.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
ct200 ex uses true clones for all I know...

but frankly for the request above my first "cheap performance mod"
would be the installation of a chinese series 30 clone off ebay.

60 bucks and twice the torque for getting out of a mudhole ...

'sid

mckutzy

Reaction score
I guess the better question is it a 79cc... or gx 200....More specifically to the OP... as I understand there was a few types and they had many engines???

Revwhop

Reaction score
It is still in box. I'm not sure of exact motor it has. Box says 196cc. From my research these new ex ones have 16mm shaft. I don't really need cheap options. I'm willing to spend more than bike cost in upgrades. I'm after just good solid products so as not buying same but different components because of not spending the first time around. Is Better to pay little on front end than caught on trail and buying the better anyway. I'd like to get all parts needed then get everything right before i oil it and I even ride it. Clean motors and bikes are far more enjoyable to work on

Revwhop

Reaction score
So my plan of not running it till all upgrades were done went out window when My dad showed up Saturday with his own mini moto 212. So I had to join in the family fun. His bike is fast. Blows right by me. But I guess now I will know how much was gained after upgrades . Currently 24mph is it
I went with 30series TC for 3/4 and ordered a sleeve instead of swapping crank and added a omb riser so no to have to cut bracket from frame. Added oem bushing and belt for TC to order seemed like good idea. Then ordered header and muffler and some wrap for it. On intake I ordered jets, filter, adapter, and some hose. I am gonna try to get filter under seat to prevent damage and amount of mud sand gets to it. Also need shield along front side of frame muck s getting to motor
I also plan to add battery and rectifier regulator. So I can have consistent light from headlight did and will do more night rides also 12v outlet never know when it could be handy. .

Thor99

Reaction score
Be careful with that sleeve make sure the key engages a decent amount. That was my first option I even ordered the sleeve but I wasn’t comfortable with the minimal engagement and decided to upgrade the crankshaft.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
Just to give you an idea of the speed that you might get, my baja warrior (similar size tires and the same reduction stock) ran 24 mph stock (according to the factory). My engine started smoking, so I put a 212 on it. A bit later I added a 30 series. It was good to around the upper 30s with the governor intact. I rebuilt the original engine, and pulled the governor. I actually got the bike going last weekend. Should be geared for 60 ish at 5200 rpm. I doubt that it'll ever get there, well not with me on it. And it'll still spin the tires at launch. Also, I forgot how much smoother the original engine was compared to the predator. It also idles lower, much lower.

Revwhop

Reaction score
I am Not gonna get in to this motor. Stock internals. only external bolt on. I'm after mid to high 30s Any faster I'm likely to spend more time at hospital than on bike. Like my dad. He went to dr got X-ray and ct scan. He has broke rib from when he crashed his bike Saturday. But if I need more I will get another motor and build it out to swap over. I need to convert to disc brakes and I Would like to add them to front as well

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
if you're not removing the governor a TC is the only viable option I can see you getting into the mid to high 30's

Assuming you're 200lbs or less (112lbs the minibike plus TC and fuel ~ 120 lbs I'd say)
KartInfo by kartcalc.net:
Code:
[FONT="Verdana"]
[B][U]KART[/U][/B]
[INDENT][I]RW diameter[/I]: [B] 50.8 cm | 20 in[/B]
[I]Total weight[/I]: [B] 145 kg | 319.67 lbs[/B]
[/INDENT]
[B][U]ENGINE[/U][/B]
[INDENT][I]Original HP[/I]: [B] 6.5[/B]
[I]Asummed HP[/I]: [B] ~6.5[/B]
[I]Torque[/I]: [B] 12.86 Nm | 9.48 ft lbf[/B]
[I]RPM[/I]: [B] 3600[/B]
[/INDENT]
[B][U]TRANSMISSION[/U][/B]
[INDENT][I]Final ratio[/I]: [B] 5.8:1[/B]
[I]TC type[/I]: [B]  series 30 6" driven[/B]
[I]Lowest ratio[/I]: [B] 15.66:1[/B]
[I]Highest ratio[/I]: [B] 5.22:1[/B]
[/INDENT]
[B][U]PERFORMANCE[/U][/B]
[INDENT][I]Max Wheel Torque[/I]: [B] 201.39 Nm | 148.54 ft lbf[/B]
[I]Min Wheel Torque[/I]: [B] 67.13 Nm | 49.51 ft lbf[/B]
[I]Top Speed[/I]: [B] 66.04 km/h | 41.03 mph[/B]
[/INDENT]
[/FONT]

So the absolute max with a TC is just above 40 mph
in case the governor is still limiting to 3600 rpms

uhmm.. assuming 20" wheels that is..
I see two different ct200U specs
one saying 20" one 19"
one saying a 3/4" clutch one a 5/8" clutch

colemens website nor partslist is actually stating any numbers
not on the wheel nor sprocket sizes...

would you mind and let us know?
Wheels,
and all sprockets tooth counts in engine to wheel order?
(clutch - js in - js out - wheel)

that might help the next guy out.

thank you.

Anyways.. with 19" wheels the speed would be the same'ish
since you could remove another tooth or two from the rear sprocket without running into issues
KartInfo by kartcalc.net:
Code:
[FONT="Verdana"]
[B][U]KART[/U][/B]
[INDENT][I]RW diameter[/I]: [B] 19 in | 48.26 cm[/B]
[I]Total weight[/I]: [B] 319.67 lbs | 145 kg[/B]
[/INDENT]
[B][U]ENGINE[/U][/B]
[INDENT][I]Original HP[/I]: [B] 6.5[/B]
[I]Asummed HP[/I]: [B] ~6.5[/B]
[I]Torque[/I]: [B] 9.48 ft lbf | 12.86 Nm[/B]
[I]RPM[/I]: [B] 3600[/B]
[/INDENT]
[B][U]TRANSMISSION[/U][/B]
[INDENT][I]Final ratio[/I]: [B] 5.5:1[/B]
[I]TC type[/I]: [B]  series 30 6" driven[/B]
[I]Lowest ratio[/I]: [B] 14.85:1[/B]
[I]Highest ratio[/I]: [B] 4.95:1[/B]
[/INDENT]
[B][U]PERFORMANCE[/U][/B]
[INDENT][I]Max Wheel Torque[/I]: [B] 140.85 ft lbf | 190.97 Nm[/B]
[I]Min Wheel Torque[/I]: [B] 46.95 ft lbf | 63.66 Nm[/B]
[I]Acceleration[/I]: [B] 10.17 ft/s² | 3.1 m/s²[/B]
[I]Top Speed[/I]: [B] 41.11 mph | 66.16 km/h[/B]
[/INDENT]
[/FONT]

But since you don't want to crack the 40 anyways... 60 tooth axle makes a nice round number and gives you ~37.7(19") to 39.7 mph (20")
just in your ballpark :D

'sid

PS if you want to stick with a clutch and jackshaft I'm afraid you MUST remove the governor to achieve such speed, otherwise the clutch will be as expensive as the bike itself.

Thor99

Reaction score
I pulled my stock engine and threw in a predator 212 Hemi with upgraded exhaust and air intake I’m able to hit 43 with the governor intact and I’m 6”3 235. I wouldn’t pull the governor unless you at least upgrade the connecting rod and flywheel.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Stock rod and flywheel are fine with the stock valve springs... upgrade those then youll need new rod....
Stock ones help prevent a violent premature rod dissection as they will float at about 5K....

Status
Not open for further replies.