• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Corona beer virus

Kartorbust

Reaction score
My hope is that we collectively realize some day in the future how stupid we were in 2020. There have been fewer deaths globally from this virus than there are in a typical year from the flu in the US alone.

I agree. Hopefully this was an overreaction. Hopefully the FDA can get the Malaria drugs approved as treatment for this virus, granted it's supposed only help with muscle aches apparently? Regardless at least it'll provide some relief. Also heard that this virus does not spread well in higher temps and higher humidity. Whether or not any of that's true remains to be fully seen.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Please, let's get serious about this people

We (the entire globe) is "at war" with an "invisible enemy"
…& everyone needs to work together on this!
...NOT thumb your nose :mad2:

PLEASE, LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT THIS PEOPLE :thumbsup:
...if NOT for yourself, think of your "older" loved ones & more vulnerable folks
...everything CAN be replaced...except, someone's life

According to the news reports, ~500 people died in Italy just yesterday (that's 500 people in 1 day) :huh:
…& the situation is "so bad" their expecting ~500 more people to die today :ack2:
…& Iran & Spain the situation is almost as bad
...that's "totally" unprecedented (ie. really serious sh*t)

* The USA is "way, way, way bigger" with "lots, lots, lots more people"
...so, the "numbers" would "exponentially" bigger (ie, thousands per day) :mad:

So, here in the US (& everywhere else), it's the "what if" or "worst case scenario" that we ALL need to work together to stop or to at least "blunt" the spread of this "invisible enemy"

** Their ONLY asking us/everyone to STAY HOME (self isolate) for a few days
...spend some time with the family
...or read a book

*** Also, keep in mind that to "co-operate" does NOT mean, "locked in the house"
...so, go outside & do some yard work
...maybe, take a walk
...or even work on/ride your kart :2guns:

Just DON'T socially interact with anyone, outside of your family (maintain ~6' distance) :auto:

Main thing is to
...keep calm
...follow the advise of the professionals
...& we'll get past this :cheers2:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Thing is, the US is much more spread out, especially in the midwest. Bit easier to contain it. The culture, especially in Italy is your whole family lives in the same house, so parents, grandparents, etc.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Thing is, the US is much more spread out, especially in the midwest. Bit easier to contain it. The culture, especially in Italy is your whole family lives in the same house, so parents, grandparents, etc.

yeah that's why you had twice as many deaths in a single nursing home,
than italy the same day...

****** healthcare aside..
the number one reason for such to happen,
is people ignoring the danger!

Yes, most people younger than 30 will survive..
nothing but your average flu there..
but an asthmatic precondition and your chances drop dramatically same with rising age.
Any form of illness actually can drop your chances by quite a bit.
kids with peanut allergies will likely die from a SARS COV2 infection.

Sure you (generalising "you".. not YOU)
can be an 455hole and ignore all advise to stay away from social contacts ..
catch a flu and go on hugging your parents..
but if you cause the death of your beloved ones,
don't come crying noone warned you about the risks.

One must be a total moron to take any chances
with the health and lifes of one's families.

Again.. it's important to not panic,
but it's more important to stay alert and away from as many people as you can.

One 'wrong' handshake is enough to kill your nana if bad comes to worse.

'sid

Kartorbust

Reaction score
There's one constant theme with those that catch this virus, fever. Keep track of your temperature. If you have a temp, STAY HOME!

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
yeah that's why you had twice as many deaths in a single nursing home,
than italy the same day...

****** healthcare aside..
the number one reason for such to happen,
is people ignoring the danger!

Yes, most people younger than 30 will survive..
nothing but your average flu there..
but an asthmatic precondition and your chances drop dramatically same with rising age.
Any form of illness actually can drop your chances by quite a bit.
kids with peanut allergies will likely die from a SARS COV2 infection.

Sure you (generalising "you".. not YOU)
can be an 455hole and ignore all advise to stay away from social contacts ..
catch a flu and go on hugging your parents..
but if you cause the death of your beloved ones,
don't come crying noone warned you about the risks.

One must be a total moron to take any chances
with the health and lifes of one's families.

Again.. it's important to not panic,
but it's more important to stay alert and away from as many people as you can.

One 'wrong' handshake is enough to kill your nana if bad comes to worse.

'sid
Sid, I know there are time when we find ourselves at odds, but this is most certainly not one of those times. This whole post is on point.
As I stated before, my gf is a banker, and they had two people come in yesterday whose spouses were quarantined and being tested (one has since tested positive, no word on the other) and they got angry when they were told to use the drive through. Apparently being told this was met with indignant “I’m fine”. Yea, you may be fine, but you may kill me or my loved ones by being an inconsiderate jerk.
This is only starting to get a foothold in this country, and I’m certain that people’s attitudes will soon change about it.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
There's one constant theme with those that catch this virus, fever. Keep track of your temperature. If you have a temp, STAY HOME!

This is another "issue" that is confusing many people :huh:

It has been reported that asymptomatic (no temp, no cough etc.) people can be "carriers" of this virus too :mad2:
…& unknowingly going around infecting folks :mad:
(ie. :censored:"invisible enemy")

So, to be "safe" I'm just stayin' home :thumbsup:
...hangin' with the family
…& workin' on the Rover :2guns:

KartFab

Reaction score
I got a degree in public health and my wife is a nurse. The most common arguments I’m seeing by those not familiar with this are:

Nobody I personally know has it, therefore it’s not real OR
The media is overhyping it, therefore, every fact the media states cannot be trusted
Because I think the virus symptoms are not that bad, and because the media is overhyping this, there is probably nothing to worry about. BUT I’m going to hoard food and prepare for the apocalypse, because... well deep down they are confused and may or may not be aware of their own ignorance. As long as their immediate needs are met, then screw everyone else....pathetic.

It’s all denial.

In the age of information, the dumbest most opinionated people somehow rise to the top of a steaming pile of BS and think their narrative is correct.

Let’s break it down to the facts.

COVID19 is real, and is a pandemic. It has spread all over the world.
There is a current outbreak of COVID19 in the USA. Meaning there is a sudden increase in cases.
The virus made a jump from an animal host to humans. Because of this jump, humans have no “built up” immunity to this virus as it’s a new strain.
The virus lives in the air for 3 hrs and on surfaces for up to 5 days. It is contagious/easily spread.

So how does this affect you? (Besides economy/social distancing)

My city has 50,000 people in it: fact
Let’s assume 20% of the population will be infected at some point: guess
20% of 50k is 10k
Out of every six (6) people infected, one (1) will develop symptoms requiring some sort of hospital care or interaction with a medical care provider. So of the 10k infected, 1,667 will affect the healthcare system. The 1 in 6 is a fact.
Of these 1 in 6, The degree of intervention varies. It could be as simple as reporting back from home daily, or as severe as rapid onset of pneumonia and acute respiratory failure, resulting in ventilator use and potential death. These are the facts.

So I asked my wife who works in the only hospital in town, how many ventilators they have available right now for use. Her reply was 12 beds but you can double up to 24 if they share one ventilator. Newborn babies get priority.

I called her tonight at work and asked her how many have Coronavirus. Well... you have to wait 1 week for a confirmed test result from the CDC... but we currently have three in the hospital right now that we are assuming have it as they are expressing classic symptoms, and already had the flu shot before. Two are below the age of 50, and one is 60-70 and was admitted not too long ago and has rapidly progressed to acute respiratory failure and is on the vent. Condition critical and may not survive. Was a smoker for 30 yrs, but quit 2 yrs ago.

I kept asking questions about the treatment for malaria being effective. Then asked her, what is the current supply? Answer... NONE. So basically this 60-70 yr old may die very soon in our hospital and 6 days from today they will actually know if this person had corona virus.

The hospital is expanding its capabilities in anticipation of the surge that may hit in a few weeks or so. It is the calm before the storm. Every single elective surgery is cancelled and all medical staff are being crossed trained to treat Coronavirus cases. Your gynecologist may soon be shoving a tube down your throat if you require a vent.

It just bothers me that people can be so ignorant to the reality and severity of this situation.

With that said, assuming a 20% infection rate and people being stupid. In our city of 50k people, 48,334 will have had either no infection, or mild symptoms. After it all blows over, you are still going to have some moron saying it was all a hoax as he doesn’t personally know anyone who died, or was sick other than 1 out of 25 that had mild symptoms, or maybe that one guy died but he was old anyway and was a smoker and was gunna die anyway.

The reality is that there is no vaccination for COVID19, and it kills people that are infected at a rate 14 times higher than the flu. THIS IS A FACT.

The reality is that a lot of people are immunized against the flu, so the exponential effects of infection without vaccination, and the resulting illness, and death are just starting to take hold in the USA. Exponential infection rates.

Hospitals will soon be overwhelmed for a time, and the aftermath we can talk about in 3-6 months from now. We all know what to do as far as distancing ourselves and seeking treatment goes. The economy has and will suffer more, and unemployment will be a thing again.

Here is what a peak looks like, coming to a town near you if the hospital is not prepared...
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=aNp8L_1584758266

We all have some free time or will in the immediate future. Time to catch up on mini bikes go karts and helping out others.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Saw some footage of that super long line for the border, I think is in Poland??? 50+km long... Crikey....

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Harbor Freight Tools Steps Up

Here is an E-mail from I got from Harbor Freight :thumbsup:

"Dear Harbor Freight Community,

As we’ve been following the news over the last few days, we’ve heard about the severe shortage of protective gear for hospitals, healthcare workers and first responders as the impact of COVID-19 is being felt across the country. America depends on these heroes every day and in the days ahead we will depend on them even more. At Harbor Freight, we want them to know that they can depend on us too.

So we’ve decided to donate our entire supply of the personal protective equipment items listed below to front line hospitals with 24 hour emergency rooms in the communities served by our stores.
• N95 Masks
• Face Shields
• 5 and 7 mil Nitrile Gloves

If you work at a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in need of these items, please ask the office in charge of procurement at your hospital to click here so they can provide us with the information we’ll need to determine if we can make a donation. If you’re not with a hospital, but would like to give us the name of a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in your community that might need our help, please email us at hospitalhelp@harborfreight.com, identify the hospital’s city and state in the subject line, and our team will follow-up.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE REQUESTS AT YOUR LOCAL STORE OR OUR CALL CENTER AND PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT HOSPITALS—THEY’RE BUSY HELPING THEIR PATIENTS.

For hospitals we’re able to help, we’ll email them a voucher when the supplies are available for pick up at their local Harbor Freight Tools store.

Although we certainly won’t have enough of these supplies to fill everyone’s needs, we’re going to donate everything we’ve got. We also recognize that there are so many other critically important people responding to this crisis and that there is need everywhere. We’ve chosen to focus our efforts on hospitals with a 24 hour emergency room with the hope that we can help as many people as possible right now.

Thank you and God Bless,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools"

:wai: Help & leadership from all directions :2guns:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
COVID-19 Guide Lines from the CDC

If we all work together we can beat/defeat this "invisible enemy" :2guns:

Here is some info, everyone shoud to know :thumbsup:
...it's from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) :cheers2:

"Know How it Spreads
•There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
•The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
•The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person. ◦Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
◦Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
•These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

Take steps to protect yourself

Clean your hands often
•Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
•If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
•Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands

Avoid close contact
•Avoid close contact with people who are sick
•Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.

Take steps to protect others
Stay home if you’re sick
•Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care. Learn what to do if you are sick.

Cover coughs and sneezes
•Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
•Throw used tissues in the trash.
•Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, clean your hands with a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

Wear a facemask if you are sick
•If you are sick: You should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office. If you are not able to wear a facemask (for example, because it causes trouble breathing), then you should do your best to cover your coughs and sneezes, and people who are caring for you should wear a facemask if they enter your room. Learn what to do if you are sick.
•If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers.

Clean and disinfect
•Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
•If surfaces are dirty, clean them: Use detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.

To disinfect:
Most common EPA-registered household disinfectants will work. Use disinfectants appropriate for the surface.

Options include:
•Diluting your household bleach.
To make a bleach solution, mix: ◦5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water
OR
◦4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water

Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application and proper ventilation. Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted.

•Alcohol solutions.
Ensure solution has at least 70% alcohol.

•Other common EPA-registered household disinfectants.
Products with EPA-approved emerging viral pathogens pdf icon[7 pages]external icon claims are expected to be effective against COVID-19 based on data for harder to kill viruses. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for all cleaning and disinfection products (e.g., concentration, application method and contact time, etc.).

Watch for symptoms

Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.

Symptoms
These symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure (based on the incubation period of MERS-CoV viruses).
•Fever
•Cough
•Shortness of breath

Emergency warning signs
If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include*:
•Trouble breathing
•Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
•New confusion or inability to arouse
•Bluish lips or face

Call your doctor: If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider for medical advice.

*This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
ever think that harbor freight gloves and masks mint fail? seeing that it is harbor freight I don't think that hospitals would accept masks and gloves etc. for a non medical supplier. but it's nice to know that harbor freight is trying to help.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
The Big Three and Tesla (FCA, GM, Ford) are going to be making ventilators to help with hospitals not having enough, in the case that many more need them. Tesla just had 1000 made already or will have them ready in short order. I doubt at this point anyone will care if they were brought in by a medical distributor (ironically enough it would more than likely came from China). I just hope that any N95 mask or ventilators will work as intended and we don't have lawsuits in the coming years for faulty products.

The best we can do is limit our traveling and human to human contact, wash our hands and sanitize more. On a side not but still on topic, my work printed these lyrics for us to sing for the 20 or so second duration while washing our hands.

Attachments

• 20200323_120532.jpg
    20200323_120532.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 6

mckutzy

Reaction score
Since Im the only one who ventures forth into the unknown from my house....
I figure Id don the bunker gear...
I havent put the jacket/gloves on yet... but earlier I needed to go to the store...
I was going for the less "clinical look"
I think I might be ready...

Functional of course...

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_095828.jpg
    IMG_20200323_095828.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 3

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
The only time I wash my hands is when I take a shower.
I'm hardly ever sick.
I lay my sandwich down on the hood of my buggy when we are out wheeling. Pick it back up with greasy hands from pulling a hub apart....

Gotta eat dirt to keep the immune system up.

Last edited: