Commercial kart and wet clutch

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Boy, I wish I had that stupid thing in front of me. Hard to see on this stupid phone. Do the clutches and steels look discolored from heat? It would seem to me once you put the bolt in the center of the crank shaft it would snug the pressure plate to the crankshaft and the basket would be locked snuggly. One other question after you load the frictions and steels into the basket (friction-steel-friction-steel-friction-steel) then is there a large snapp ring or something holding the frictions and steels in the basket?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
What kind of oil do they recommend you put in the box? Or do they recommend transmission fluid? Different grades of oil have different additive packages, and friction modifiers.

Dbryant

Reaction score
After this, gotta do something about the tires. It’s too heavy. I was going to take most of the outer steel bumper off, leave some protection on the front.

Im going to have to notch the rear of the frame to put larger tires with tread. Just a few inches bigger
What kind of oil do they recommend you put in the box? Or do they recommend transmission fluid? Different grades of oil have different additive packages, and friction modifiers.
they recommended standard motor oil

JimD

Reaction score
The engine is a GX270 (not a 70) and you are right it is HEAVY kart. If you get too big on the tires the clutch cannot handle it and you best think about taking off the wet clutch system and switching to a torque converter. But then you are going to find the real problems-everything inside the wet clutch is METRIC which means you will have to make everything since the torque converters are English dimensions. It is a good engine but you will find the crankshaft is short and will not fully support a regular clutch. Been down that path and fianlly just sold the engine and switched to a different engine and took a lot of weight off the kart. In all honesty it would have been quicker and easier to go get an old fun kart chassis and start from there.

Dbryant

Reaction score
The engine is a GX270 (not a 70) and you are right it is HEAVY kart. If you get too big on the tires the clutch cannot handle it and you best think about taking off the wet clutch system and switching to a torque converter. But then you are going to find the real problems-everything inside the wet clutch is METRIC which means you will have to make everything since the torque converters are English dimensions. It is a good engine but you will find the crankshaft is short and will not fully support a regular clutch. Been down that path and fianlly just sold the engine and switched to a different engine and took a lot of weight off the kart. In all honesty it would have been quicker and easier to go get an old fun kart chassis and start from there.
Good to know. I can sell the engine around here easily. It’s a single pull start engine.

What would be a good alternative? The Predator 212 will be too small.

I wasn’t going to go more than 2” on the tires. Just a little clearance and something with even a little tread

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Those amusement karts are like anvils and just as reliable. Other than tire tread I would not change much. The wet clutches last for years without problems. They have too.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
At this point I think you would be further ahead to buy another wet clutch (of higher quality) and get that puppy running.

Dbryant

Reaction score
I have one I bought from a kart “store”

it was about $225.

I’m pretty certain how I messed up the first clutch. I’m guessing I let that first clutch plate get behind the clutch center so the teeth weren’t grabbing. I did it a few times assembling it. I put it together and pulled it apart a dozen times. The pressure plates are now brittle and their is definite heat discoloration on the plates and pto shaft. Definitely burnt oil

i just wanted an inch or two more clearance but definitely some tread. I ordered a K&N filter. I love the kart. I touched up the black but it’s just a little sun faded but looks good

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You can get a plate kit to rebuild the clutch. Make sure the friction plates are soaked in oil for a few hours at least before trying to run.

Dbryant

Reaction score
New clutch- exact result. I heard some metallic noise. It has to be in the gearbox/transaxle. I was very careful with this install

i parked it. I don’t know what to do.

Dbryant

Reaction score
Could it be a gear missing teeth/worn in the crank case? I studied the diagram of the wet clutch. It couldn’t be two faulty units, and I can’t see how I screwed it up twice.

outside of tearing into the crank case, I don’t know. At this point, I’m done with it

Attachments

• 530452C9-F2B2-428F-9305-6891E634CC6B.jpeg
    530452C9-F2B2-428F-9305-6891E634CC6B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Where is the "wear mark" pictured in post #26?

& also,

Is this the wet clutch you bought off of eBay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323829213009?hash=item4b65b9a751:g:ZIYAAOSwDQdearR8
...or please post a link of the one that you got

Because I found this one at BMI karts
https://www.bmikarts.com/21-Reduction-Gearbox-Kit-for-Honda-65HP-GX200-Engine-20mm_p_4292.html
...& this one says it has a 20mm shaft
...where as the eBay one (link above) lists a 22mm shaft

Could this be the issue?
...or maybe give BMI a call & see if they can help diagnosis the problem ;)