Coleman T-196. jack shaft junk

nk49

Reaction score
I am dealing with the same issue and can't figure out how the shafts came out of alignment. Here is a picture of the jackshaft and the axle sprocket and the alignment is off by about 1/2". Just enough to cause the chain to snap. The jackshaft is welded and the axle sprocket doesn't appear to move at all either. I thought of putting a washer behind the sprocket to move it over but I can't seem to get the sprocket to separate with the bolts removed. Seems like there is a keyway blocking it and I can't figure it out.
I finally got back to the Kart and I was able to move the axle sprocket over *just* enough to get it to line up pretty closely, but I thought the same thing. Considering putting a washer or washers behind the sprocket to slide it over the final 1/8”.

nk49

Reaction score
So I figured out a solution. I took off the jackshaft sprocket and placed a washer behind it and that moved it over to align it with the axle sprocket. The kids rode for 3 hours with no issues so far!
Ok, this looks like a pretty good idea. Is it still working out?

OneBadZL1

Reaction score
Unfortunately the chain continues to come off no matter what I do. I have replaced the sprockets and chains on both sides and the chain still pops off within a couple of minutes of riding. At a loss as to what to do. I am not much of a fabricator and don't have the equipment to cut and replace the jackshaft assembly. Maybe new bearings are needed?

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Your sprocket alignment is probably off just enough, to kick the chain off. You'll need to get a straight edge and check the alignments.