Coleman T-196. jack shaft junk

Powersrp

Reaction score
I ve replaced the jack shaft chains and sprockets a couple times, kart prob has 30 hrs on it, drivers are 8 and 10 yrold girls.. has anybody tried moving the drive sprocket over and directly under the clutch drive, this jack shaft has to go, its non adjustable and lasts about 5 hrs then starts banging from loose chain.
Any ideas would be great
Thanks

Powersrp

Reaction score
theres nothing wrong with the clutch or torque converter, a chain goes from torque converter sprocket to a non adjustable jack shaft sprocket, then to another sprocket. then to drive sprocket. way too much bs, and its non adjustable.

Powersrp

Reaction score
torque converter sprocket chain to jack shaft sprocket has no adjustment,, last about 5 hours then jumping and banging anytime throttle is applied. i wana get rid of the jackshaft and move drive sprocket directly under torque converter, i might have to have a 4” spacer made up

Powersrp

Reaction score
I beleive i did, but will check in the spring, after a few hours the new chain starts banging on take off, or when the girls get back in the throttle

Mrben522

Reaction score
That part of the KT 196 design is notorious for failing. The chain loosens up with use and there's literally no possible way to adjust tension on it. Ditching that jackshaft is a great idea if you've got the skills and tools to get it done, you may need to do some math on the gear ratios though to make sure you don't loose too much speed or power. Good luck!

Mrben522

Reaction score

Here's a few threads of other people having this exact same problem and a few possible solutions