Changes in how to post / read

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to encourage this: What have you seen that is different, and what needs to be done to accomplish the same thing? Have things been confusing, and if so, what was your solution? And if you need help figuring something out, post it!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Biggest issue that keeps recurring is, on mobile, every single time I hit the backspace to delete something, it drops has the keyboard drop. That's been the most annoying thing for me so far. Posting with pictures on the new format is nice, but with the pictures automatically showing up in the text bar, it makes it a bit of a pain to either add more pictures for the same post (is that possible? I haven't tried yet) or to continue typing the post.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try using "attach" to add the pics and report back on that. I currently have it set to allow pics inline, or at "attached files". Check out both options please and let me know

Kartorbust

Reaction score
the Challenger is with the attach files tab and the gauge cluster is with the inline20200824_141628.jpg

Attachments

• 20200717_171554.jpg
    20200717_171554.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I might remove the inline option, then. That's just too damn big and in my opinion, annoying

Kartorbust

Reaction score
If I had a better option on my phone to resize pictures to a much more manageable size it would be fine. But just because one person does that, doesn't mean everyone else will. I do like how it is easier and a bit faster to upload pictures, so that right there is a huge plus.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
can you upload w/ the attachment option "easy"? I haven't tried yet to be honest!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
It just a simple click on the attach files button, then just click what picture you want to upload. Granted it's one at a time, but that's at least fine by me. Since it also gives a preview of the picture that you are uploading, unlike the old way, it should prevent accidental copies of the same picture going up, especially if your phone picture folders are as unorganized as mine are lol.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I might remove the inline option, then. That's just too damn big and in my opinion, annoying
No need;
it's the ****ing WYSIWYG editor

once you remove the addition type="full"
from this

the Challenger is with the attach files tab and the gauge cluster is with the inline[ATTACH type="full"]122552[/ATTACH]

it's working exactly as it worked in vbulletin before
(thumbnail inlined, fullysize on click)

'sid

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Is there a possibility to allow uploads of the m4a file type for audio so we can share engine sounds ?

Just limit to 1.5 to 2MB to share a 1-2 minute clip instead of something big enough to be a copyright liability.

20200902_092159.jpg
Screenshot_20200902-092114.jpg

Last edited:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a possibility to allow uploads of the m4a file type for audio so we can share engine sounds ?

Just limit to 1.5 to 2MB to share a 1-2 minute clip instead of something big enough to be a copyright liability.

View attachment 122574
View attachment 122573

well 2MB are more than enough to get a full song in 'radio' quality
and even a single minute of audio is far more than enough to
be a copyright infringement (in case we talk music the clip can be as short as 10seconds and still cause problems)
So no, that'd be a very bad idea honestly.

Just host the files on your own web or cloud storage (say google drive or such) and link there.

'sid

jmaack

Reaction score
Biggest issue that keeps recurring is, on mobile, every single time I hit the backspace to delete something, it drops has the keyboard drop. That's been the most annoying thing for me so far. Posting with pictures on the new format is nice, but with the pictures automatically showing up in the text bar, it makes it a bit of a pain to either add more pictures for the same post (is that possible? I haven't tried yet) or to continue typing the post.
driving me crazy. with the keyboard disappearing. I mainly visit on mobile. been keeping me away for this very reason.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
What I found is that the reply-box is not the reply-text-box is not the reply-text-box!
And if you're having the same issues I sometimes have on my (beloved vintage) computer
That might affect the keyboard on some mobile devices too.

allow me to explain:
when you load any thread on the bottom of the page the reply-box will be rendered immediately.
your focus is at a random spot on the website (as in active cursor or last touch event on screen)

That box then fills (due to a javascript having to create it - with a slight delay-)
with a canvas element that holds the WYSIWYG Editor and it's textarea
once you click on it to reply.
That then calls focus exactly once.
usually the focus is correct and you can start typing usually.
but sometimes the focus sticks to the underlaying textarea (which by now is disabled)
and the keyboard vanishes from your screen (or in my case nothing I type gets shown)

Everytime you then en- or disable the gear-icon on top,
the WYSIWYG textarea gets pushed back (hidden) and a raw text-area is brought back to the front (made visible),
and you have to keep track of the input focus again.
Since it's not guaranteed the focus will follow.

here you can see the two text-areas and how one is hidden display=none;
xf_second_textarea.jpg

Solution is rather simple however:
just click (or tap) into the center of the input box to set the focus correctly,
once the box has changed it's colour (raw-text is slightly darker).
That -at least for me- always allows me to type again and -if it's the same issue with your mobile devices-
in theory should bring back the keyboard.

downside: if you scroll back up, say to reread what's been said or look at an image once again,
chances are the input again looses focus, so you need to click into the textbox again.
if you upload or inline an attachment the focus might get trapped inside the wrong textarea again..
wel... if you do anything but type on your keyboard the focus might get lost.
On a mobile device that can -unfortunately- also be a non browser action I assume.

'sid

Kartorbust

Reaction score
The problem I am having is, when I use the backspace button to go back and delete either a letter or try to deleted a few words or a whole sentence, that's when my keyboard will go away. It does it quite often. It was fixed for a moment the other day, but it's been acting up a lot lately. Not sure if it's the website software or what. Tapping the center of the chat box didn't seem to fix it for me at all. I could be doing something wrong. The only way to avoid it is if I highlight what I want to delete, then hold down and click cut then it doesn't do it. But using my backspace button on my phone seems to do it an awful lot. Its hit or miss.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem I am having is, when I use the backspace button to go back and delete either a letter or try to deleted a few words or a whole sentence, that's when my keyboard will go away. It does it quite often. It was fixed for a moment the other day, but it's been acting up a lot lately. Not sure if it's the website software or what. Tapping the center of the chat box didn't seem to fix it for me at all. I could be doing something wrong. The only way to avoid it is if I highlight what I want to delete, then hold down and click cut then it doesn't do it. But using my backspace button on my phone seems to do it an awful lot. Its hit or miss.

Ah, that's weird indeed..
I cannot see the "edit" either, I cannot highlight text to mark it for deletion and don't see characters being removed when I hit the backspace either
(they vanish all at once when I stop typing for a second therafter)
but of course my physical keyboard cannot just vanish and frankly I cannot imagine why that could happen at all :D
Truth is, all changes are made in both textboxes at the same time (for some very stupid reasons)
worse: they're also copied to a hidden input every once in a while;
that surely takes some processing in the background, but shouldn't be affecting the keyboard showing on your device.

What I forgot to mention above..
you MUST click elsewhere first (usually the post above the reply-box solves that)
and then into the textbox. otherwise the focus may not reset at all.

It's the forum software, well it's the ~1MB of javascript it runs on your device.
and if your device is slowed down for a reason or too slow to begin with, it is acting up.
420kB of which are in fact that WYSIWYG editor.. I hate it, but xenforor sometime decided to remove all alternatives,
and that's the one we're left with.
I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it myself yet, otherwise I'd already told Robert.

'sid

mckutzy

Reaction score
I'm having an odd return key issue...
Even as I write/type this... It does it...
To make a new sentence line, return key causes it to return to new line and collapse the keyboard..
EFF-ING frustrating on mobile device.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you.. I'm annoyed by that editor myself!
I already grabbed a few markup editors from github (with a suitable license)
and I am trying to make them work reliably and conveniently for Robert to replace the current one.
I cannot make any promises yet,
it's quite tightly webbed into the system not meant to be replaced which is quite unfortunate
(and IYAM bad practice!)

wish me luck ;)

'sid

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GOOD LUCK 'SID!!! This seems like a huge glaring hole in otherwise good software.