Can anybody help me with my first go kart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I would get a dye and try and cut new threads. If that doesn't work, you could drill a small hole in the shaft and then use a castle nut and cotter pin to secure the nut

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 1

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
I would get a dye and try and cut new threads. If that doesn't work, you could drill a small hole in the shaft and then use a castle nut and cotter pin to secure the nut

Makes sense. Thanks! I'm kinda slow and I'm not sure what the nut size is because I can't tell if its metric or SAE, but I'm pretty sure its 3/4*14TPI. Only problem being it could also be in mm...

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

Makes sense. Thanks! I'm kinda slow and I'm not sure what the nut size is because I can't tell if its metric or SAE, but I'm pretty sure its 3/4*14TPI. Only problem being it could also be in mm...

Edit: A single die that fits my needs is at least 70 dollars somehow, apparently. We're gonna go with option b and drill a hole and cotter pin, because that's ridiculous. Are they like diamond tipped to cut the metal or something? Because that's insanely expensive IMO

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

Edit: A single die that fits my needs is at least 70 dollars somehow, apparently. We're gonna go with option b and drill a hole and cotter pin, because that's ridiculous. Are they like diamond tipped to cut the metal or something? Because that's insanely expensive IMO

I am sure you can buy a set of tap and dyes for a couple of bucks at harbour freight etc etc. Take your nut to a hardware store and try thread it on some bolts till you know what thread you need. I am sure you could get a cheap dye somewhere. Heck....someone would do it for you cheaper than that!!!

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
My dad and I got a Craftsman tap and die set from Sears for probably less than $40.

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
My dad and I got a Craftsman tap and die set from Sears for probably less than $40.

I thought they wore reasonably priced... my axle is a pretty big thread since it's 3/4 inch diameter, but I'll see if I can fit it on something at lowes or home depot, and then hope that I can fine one of those die sets that includes a 3/4 diameter wit the right pitch/TPI.

Thanks!

Tpdingo

Reaction score

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
We've found that investing in a good tap and die set has been very helpful.
Not just in mechanics, but also for assembling cheap furniture where the threads on the bolts are messed up.
So I would invest in a good tap and die set if I were you.
Never heard of a thread file though.

jandj

Reaction score

If the threads are really buggered at the end, this will make it a lot easier to start your die straight if the file itself doesn’t clean the threads up.
Different pitch on each side.
Fine thread at one end, coarse at the other.
Come in standard or metric.
Probably even a Whitworth thread file out there somewhere if you work on old British stuff.
;)

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-4-in-OO-R-NPT-Right-Hand-14-TPI-Die-Head-36895/100160469

Guess I was looking in the wrong places:lolgoku:

I'll get that soon. Today I reassembled my engine and realized I need a torque wrench for putting the crank connecting rod bolts on, I just tightened them enough to feel secure and not rattle but not too much to restrict motion.

I also sanded the walls LIGHTLY and put in fresh synthetic oil

Got everything together and the carb seems to have lost its mind

I also damaged the governor a bit by putting pressure on it when removing the sump cover, but that was probably gonna get thrown out for performance anyway.

I think its the carb, because when it runs it sounds fine, but it dies quickly or runs erratically. I put a mower carb on and same thing, but that's probably because since the linkages for those are different the throttle and choke just flew around as they pleased when it ran.

I also found a mystery part in my driveway today that I have no clue where it goes :roflol: I'll post a picture of that soon hehe. Thanks for all the input guys this is an awesome community!

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-4-in-OO-R-NPT-Right-Hand-14-TPI-Die-Head-36895/100160469

Guess I was looking in the wrong places:lolgoku:

I'll get that soon. Today I reassembled my engine and realized I need a torque wrench for putting the crank connecting rod bolts on, I just tightened them enough to feel secure and not rattle but not too much to restrict motion.

I also sanded the walls LIGHTLY and put in fresh synthetic oil

Got everything together and the carb seems to have lost its mind

I also damaged the governor a bit by putting pressure on it when removing the sump cover, but that was probably gonna get thrown out for performance anyway.

I think its the carb, because when it runs it sounds fine, but it dies quickly or runs erratically. I put a mower carb on and same thing, but that's probably because since the linkages for those are different the throttle and choke just flew around as they pleased when it ran.

I also found a mystery part in my driveway today that I have no clue where it goes :roflol: I'll post a picture of that soon hehe. Thanks for all the input guys this is an awesome community!

I fixed my rough running! Wasn't the carb after all, my spark plug was gapped way too small. Silly I didn't check that sooner. Such a simple fix I overlooked it haha. I decided to replace it with a plug that is the same thread length and connection type (it isn't identical but fits flawless) and the engine seems more powerful than ever.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I fixed my rough running! Wasn't the carb after all, my spark plug was gapped way too small. Silly I didn't check that sooner. Such a simple fix I overlooked it haha. I decided to replace it with a plug that is the same thread length and connection type (it isn't identical but fits flawless) and the engine seems more powerful than ever.

Awesome!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.