Building a go kart size Aerial Atom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I know very little about electric karts, but my one input is:
SLA'S ARE FRIGGIN' HEAVY!!! :ack2:
And I know that from my ham radio experience!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Hey FA

You just need to get with the times and go lithium. Either get some 18650s and build a pack with some vruzend connectors or buy some factory built packs from a hybrid or electric road vehicle.

I paid $500 for a single LG Chem battery pack out of a Chrysler Pacific hybrid minivan. Its 16s1p 45ah, weighs 40lbs. Can do over 200amps continuous or 400amps peak. For your current draw you'd see very minimal voltage sag.

You would need a BMS and a charger as well.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Oh yeah, FA what you proposed will help you, but only fractionally.

Your idea would increase the capacity of one of your 5 batteries. Let's say that capacity increase is enough to stop the voltage sag for THAT battery. The other 4 batteries will still have the same voltage sag so you'll theoretically reduce your voltage sag by 20%

1) my ElMoto (electric motorcycle) is powered by a 2kWh lithium battery pack (from a Chevy Volt)

2) building homemade lithium packs scare me :ack2:
...too many variables (differing cell capacities, different resistances etc.)

IMO one would need a bunch of (really) closely matched cells
...& also, some good equipment, to verify them as such, to "safely" proceed

3) I really like your kart
...but, I build a lot of karts & find it kinda hard to justify $500.00 for just the battery pack
…& then/plus a BMS & charger :huh:

4) OK, makes sense :thumbsup:
...adding (1) cell to a (5) cell battery pack would/may reduce sag by 1/5th

Bmr4Karts

Reaction score
1) my ElMoto (electric motorcycle) is powered by a 2kWh lithium battery pack (from a Chevy Volt)

2) building homemade lithium packs scare me :ack2:
...too many variables (differing cell capacities, different resistances etc.)

IMO one would need a bunch of (really) closely matched cells
...& also, some good equipment, to verify them as such, to "safely" proceed

3) I really like your kart
...but, I build a lot of karts & find it kinda hard to justify $500.00 for just the battery pack
…& then/plus a BMS & charger :huh:

4) OK, makes sense :thumbsup:
...adding (1) cell to a (5) cell battery pack would/may reduce sag by 1/5th

2) I agree. I'm sticking with factory built packs like my LG Chem. They are built for Chrysler Pacifica hybrid minivan.

3) Thank you.
You gotta pay to play. On my last run I was pulled an average of 90 amps over 10 minutes and max current is over 200 amps (meters max). I'm running 60 volts, so that's 5 batteries in series just for the voltage. To handle the current I'd probably need 3 or 4 sets in parallel. That's a ton of space and weight.

I don't run a BMS. I discharge down to a safe voltage while driving and check the individual cells. Two hard runs so far and the cells drain together within 20mv. I then charge with a hobby charger with individual cell balancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.