Brake problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Cam, I'll send you the right drum either tomorrow or Monday. Use the new band from the kit. The brake Alex linked too won't work because the through hole I'd needs to be bigger to clear the tube. If not, the wheel will be too far out, and the brake too.
As far as that hole where the pin should be, get the correct size bolt that goes in the brake band. Get a grade 8, or at least 5, and 2 nuts, 2 washers, and 1 nylock nut. O,and a small diameter piece of tube that fits over the bolt, but small enough that the brake will seat good up against it. Put a washer on the bolt. Put it through the hole. Add the other washer and one nut. Snug it up and set the bolt where it needs to be. Now tighten the crap out of it. Add the second nut, and tighten it up against the first one. Add the tube and then the brake. Put on the nylock nut, just enough so there is no excessive slack, laterally.
The tabs in post #34 are the rear body mount tabs.

Of course!
the tube's in the way for the brake plate...
The drum itself will fit though... just as a 4.5" band brake drum..

The hole is in the wrong position for a 4" brake band..

That's what I always forgot to measure and take a pic of...
Know what.. I'll take a pic NOW..

hang on...

'sid

[EDIT]
So.. took pic..
crappy.. forgive me..
I'll add older pics ...

now..
My rest-pin for the band brake has a center to center distance of exactly 2.5" from the axle.
missing_spacer.jpg
pin_distance.jpg

the hole (mine) was used to align that shabby plate you see,
to prevent the band from slipping off the drum.
(that's not factory obviously)
as it misses the spacer (just like you do atm ;) )
missing_spacer2.jpg

'sid

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
Of course!
the tube's in the way for the brake plate...
The drum itself will fit though... just as a 4.5" band brake drum..

The hole is in the wrong position for a 4" brake band..

That's what I always forgot to measure and take a pic of...
Know what.. I'll take a pic NOW..

hang on...

'sid

[EDIT]
So.. took pic..
crappy.. forgive me..
I'll add older pics ...

now..
My rest-pin for the band brake has a center to center distance of exactly 2.5" from the axle.
View attachment 55960
View attachment 55961

the hole (mine) was used to align that shabby plate you see,
to prevent the band from slipping off the drum.
(that's not factory obviously)
as it misses the sapcer (just like you do atm ;) )
View attachment 55959

'sid

So bend and cut a piece of metal off with a rotary tool then weld it on

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44029&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1389488205
That's the kart I sold. Look at how the brake is set up. That kart was all factory, minus the butterfly steering wheel and hand brake/gas levers....
Yes cam, just like in that pic you posted.....except I'd use a piece of metal tube. Well,I guess pvc would work in this case. It's just a spacer, and wouldn't see any real stress/force....

And as you can see yours and mine are different from Cam's ;)
(look at the rear body tabs.. his' are turned 90° facing out not back)

Also his' plate is short (like mine, but unlike yours)
yours had BSOP (butt slide out protection) mine and Cam's have not...
So, a hole is a hole is a hole of course, but this kart is full of minor differences..
that's why I wouldn't be too sure that the hole is in the correct distance to mount a brake band for whatever diameter drum.

That's why I measured mine
to check wheter or not that hole's at the right distance ;)
if it is, a bolt will do, if not... well - NOT :D

oh wait.. I haven't measured my drum...

hang on....................

.... now 4" I.D. and 4 3/16" O.D... that's a 4" drum

'sid

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I think one of Cam's problems is mounting the drum to the wheel.....(that's where the "the bolts don't match up and I can only mount 2, and I don't think that's enough".....comes in....right bird?

But....yeah....mounting points are another issue....and this is one of those threads I just wished I had kept my mouth shut....sorry Cam....

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
true Doug, but that problem should be solved thanks to Jim who said he'd send Cam the matching drum

Problem solved.

what remains ist to properly mount the brake band

'sid

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
I think one of Cam's problems is mounting the drum to the wheel.....(that's where the "the bolts don't match up and I can only mount 2, and I don't think that's enough".....comes in....right bird?

But....yeah....mounting points are another issue....and this is one of those threads I just wished I had kept my mouth shut....sorry Cam....

Its ok where not perfect lol :lolgoku:.Yea so the issue so far is the drum i can take pics of the wheel ,sprocket,drum and where they align at and rest if that will help you two :p.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Cam, that's not rocket science.. it's the wheel, the spacer, sprocket and drum, then either six or three bolts to mount all that together (yes, three bolts are enough ;))

just make sure that you do not crack the wheel with the bolts, such wheelhalf is not cheap anymore (with the tapped holes)

As soon as you got the drum, it's as easy as counting to ten :D

But do me a favour and measure the distance of your hole from the center of the axle,
that way we can tell if you need to drill a new one (or weld a pin) or if it's just a bolt you need to fix the brake band.

'sid

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
Well Cam, that's not rocket science.. it's the wheel, the spacer, sprocket and drum, then either six or three bolts to mount all that together (yes, three bolts are enough ;))

just make sure that you do not crack the wheel with the bolts, such wheelhalf is not cheap anymore (with the tapped holes)

As soon as you got the drum, it's as easy as counting to ten :D

But do me a favour and measure the distance of your hole from the center of the axle,
that way we can tell if you need to drill a new one (or weld a pin) or if it's just a bolt you need to fix the brake band.

'sid

little less then 3 inch from the center (the part the wheel sits on ) and little less then 2 and a half from where (when you push the tire on its thin then thick and the tire butts up against the thick part i measured both )

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Have no idea what you just said up there ..... I got lost somewhere..... :lolgoku:
Cam ,wait till you get this drum, so you're not racking your brain. It will all make sense, when you got this part in your hands, and can actually see where and how it all fits together. I'm pretty sure that hole is in the correct location , in correlation to this drum and the bands positioning.

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
Have no idea what you just said up there ..... I got lost somewhere..... :lolgoku:
Cam ,wait till you get this drum, so you're not racking your brain. It will all make sense, when you got this part in your hands, and can actually see where and how it all fits together. I'm pretty sure that hole is in the correct location , in correlation to this drum and the bands positioning.

looked at sids pic and its about the same as what his is measured for lol im using a tape measure to check not the best tool

BirdFanatic

Reaction score

i put the old drum and the band together and i can see how it would work

Status
Not open for further replies.