Brake problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
Can anyone help me Id this manco go kart and how i can hook up some brakes to it and what type to use .Merry Christmas all an thank you for any time you can spare to help me with this .

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
that's a 715 I'd say

looks just like the one rotting in my back yard (where I wanted to strip it down this summer... and now after some rain.... hehe)
and the one Jim sold a while ago.

Anyways, I'd say it's a 713 / 715 (depends on what engine was mounted originally)
and it was a Indy body kart... coincidence?? :lolgoku:
I'm nearly sure the Manco sticker is still under the seat's front edge on the floorpan ;)
just like this 713 for example
and no.. mine doesn't have seat rails either... never had :D

[EDIT]
Oh yes brakes..
the drum goes on the opposite side to the wheel
(attached to the same hub with the same bolts as the sprocket)
the band wraps around and attaches to a pin you seem to be missing...

maybe you can see it on my pic here
View attachment 47445
or here:
View attachment 47630
(that's a different kart, but the same manco wheel ;))

here's mine with a tube testfit (to see what length I need... ah well that worked out, didn't it :()
fr_1608.jpg

And here's the pin I talked about:
missing_spacer.jpg

'sid

mckutzy

Reaction score
Id be almost inclined to make a scrub brake setup for that kart. You already have the mount of a usable size on one end, just needs another on the other. Scrubs are as what I hear on this board, pretty effective for this caliber of kart.

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
that's a 715 I'd say

looks just like the one rotting in my back yard (where I wanted to strip it down this summer... and now after some rain.... hehe)
and the one Jim sold a while ago.

Anyways, I'd say it's a 713 / 715 (depends on what engine was mounted originally)
and it was a Indy body kart... coincidence?? :lolgoku:
I'm nearly sure the Manco sticker is still under the seat's front edge on the floorpan ;)
just like this 713 for example
and no.. mine doesn't have seat rails either... never had :D

[EDIT]
Oh yes brakes..
the drum goes on the opposite side to the wheel
(attached to the same hub with the same bolts as the sprocket)
the band wraps around and attaches to a pin you seem to be missing...

maybe you can see it on my pic here
View attachment 47445
or here:
View attachment 47630
(that's a different kart, but the same manco wheel ;))

here's mine with a tube testfit (to see what length I need... ah well that worked out, didn't it :()
View attachment 55036

And here's the pin I talked about:
View attachment 55035

'sid
What size band brake do you know i should get ? .Thank you so much for your help let me take a look for the model the sticker for the warning is under the seat i believe but let me take a look to know for sure

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
What size band brake should i use ? there's 4 inch 6 inch 8 inch the original engine is a 5.5 hp honda as for the sticker its just the original warning sticker and another that says not for passengers.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Its an older indy frame thats had the scrub brakes cut off. You can still see the tabs that havnt been ground off. You can make new scrub brakes which is easy or you can space the drive wheel out and put on a brake band, either isn't too difficult.

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
Its an older indy frame thats had the scrub brakes cut off. You can still see the tabs that havnt been ground off. You can make new scrub brakes which is easy or you can space the drive wheel out and put on a brake band, either isn't too difficult.
Your right good eye.If i space the tire out a little more do i need to move either my clutch a little farther off the shaft or the engine over ? The last set of band brakes i seen there was a plate that had two slits in it welded to the frame each end of the band went into and the cable went through the holes so the band would not move .Is everything in the kit included in the kit i want

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Don't use a cable. I don't trust them on a brake band unless its necessary. You need to take flatbar drill a 3/8" hole through it to run through the middle of the brake band, you can weld that flat bar to rolled steel and bend it how you need to run to the front of the kart, if you need adjustment you can use u clamps 2x for fine adjustment.

I can only guess that if you purchased a "kit" you got the one from northern tool. This comes with a cheap rubber band which only serves to get people hurt when it fails. You need real brake bad material.

You are correct that you'll need to space things out, if its a stub axle you can get a new grade 8 5/8" bolt and simply slice and reweld a new drive bolt so you wont have to move the clutch, its a case of how hard you want to work. Measure twice and cut once and make sure everything lines up properly.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score

Sorry.. Nope.. no 713/714/715 had scrub brakes.. drums all the way through (single 4" btw)

And it IS such 71x.

and that's the manual (well one of a few):
http://www.amsportworks.com/pdfs/gokarts-minibikes/model-713/713_operatorsmanual_35hpindycar.pdf

And I do not have seat rails (never had) either *shrugs* god knows why not...
Anywhoo the TABS (if we talk about the same tabs) are to mount the body, not a scrub brake!

'sid

Status
Not open for further replies.