Brake problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
The hole you see in the plate is a bit too far out to just stick a bolt through as the fixed mount for the brakeband...

Also it seems you're also missing the spacer like me that keeps the brake drum from scrubbing against said plate.

But it's still the easiest set up for you..
if you have the wheel spacer on the right wheel just copy it's length and you'll be good to go.

The pin distance... IDK right now.. I may be able to measure it tomorrow
(if I don't forget to do so that is ;))

'sid

colestreasures

Reaction score
BirdFanatic, i honestly believe what you have there is a 1980s manco indy frame. JMO it even looks like it still has some of the body mounts on it. And it should have come with drum brakes also.
Cole

colestreasures

Reaction score
Here's a pic of a 1983 manco indy kart frame, looks just like the one you have.
Cole

Attachments

• $_1.jpeg
    $_1.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 8

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
As sid stated, your kart came from the factory with a drum brake attached to the drive wheel. The tabs everyone keeps talking about, are to mount the body. I have had 2 or 3 of these, all the same...... This model never came with scrub brakes, because it would have interfered with the body. There was an Indy bodied kart with scrubs, but it wasn't a Manco and the body was not as clean/nice as the manco.
Cam, I'm not sure if you have a drum yet or not, I admit I skimmed through till I got to sids post, then hit "reply"..... I have a drum that came from the one I sold. (the one sid mentioned. If you search my posts, it's the thread that's titled "look what I just bought" or something like that. It talks about the wreck I got into, after picking up the kart. You will see its the exact same kart...)
Anywho.... I'll measure the diameter tomorrow, it's at work, and if you want it, I'll send it your way.....

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
As sid stated, your kart came from the factory with a drum brake attached to the drive wheel. The tabs everyone keeps talking about, are to mount the body. I have had 2 or 3 of these, all the same...... This model never came with scrub brakes, because it would have interfered with the body. There was an Indy bodied kart with scrubs, but it wasn't a Manco and the body was not as clean/nice as the manco.
Cam, I'm not sure if you have a drum yet or not, I admit I skimmed through till I got to sids post, then hit "reply"..... I have a drum that came from the one I sold. (the one sid mentioned. If you search my posts, it's the thread that's titled "look what I just bought" or something like that. It talks about the wreck I got into, after picking up the kart. You will see its the exact same kart...)
Anywho.... I'll measure the diameter tomorrow, it's at work, and if you want it, I'll send it your way.....

Thanks jim To clarify the drum for the band does not fit its to small the holes to not align with the holes coming out of the sprocket i have to widen the holes in areas and will only be able to get 2 bolts through the drum .

BirdFanatic

Reaction score

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
that's an 8 hole drum you got.. you need a 6 hole drum...
otherwise it cannot match.. ever!

and it's the wrong BHC too :(

I'll try and find the correct one... hang on

'sid

[EDIT]
Sorry.. no 4" brake drum available.. all I could find was the three hole for an internal drumbrake:
http://oldschoolminibike.mybigcomme...ole-Mount-for-Bonanza,-Manco,-and-Thomas.html

it's the correct BHC though, so the drum will fit onto your rims (if you have the aluminium casted ones like me)

bhc is 3 1/4" (with three holes that's 2 13/16" hole to hole...)

I just checked that with my sprocket and spacer.

So, maybe that's the one option left...
get a 4.5" band or try to fit the expanding drum brake first (that's the better braking power anyways ;))

the azusa drums do not fit; not even the ones with three bolt option (that's a 3 3/4 bhc)

'sid

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
that's an 8 hole drum you got.. you need a 6 hole drum...
otherwise it cannot match.. ever!

and it's the wrong BHC too :(

I'll try and find the correct one... hang on

'sid

[EDIT]
Sorry.. no 4" brake drum available.. all I could find was the three hole for an internal drumbrake:
http://oldschoolminibike.mybigcomme...ole-Mount-for-Bonanza,-Manco,-and-Thomas.html

it's the correct BHC though, so the drum will fit onto your rims (if you have the aluminium casted ones like me)

bhc is 3 1/4" (with three holes that's 2 13/16" hole to hole...)

I just checked that with my sprocket and spacer.

So, maybe that's the one option left...
get a 4.5" band or try to fit the expanding drum brake first (that's the better braking power anyways ;))

the azusa drums do not fit; not even the ones with three bolt option (that's a 3 3/4 bhc)

'sid

If none of the options you are all saying do not work then basically i just bought a band brake kit and i cant even use it it was 33$ :censored:
Can anyone tell me how i can do the band to cc option since thats the only one i have atm (im not you but im not made of money so i cant go buy disc brakes )

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
that internal drum will fit the wheel you have.

it should even WORK as an internal drum
as it comes in a set.
(for the 16 bucks it costs a good deal to say the least)

And yes, I'm afraid you just burned $33, if you don't have any other kart that thing might fit onto...

but if you'd ask prior drilling out holes, and messing it up..
we would have told you.

Anyways, that train's out of the station...
get the drum I linked, it'll match the wheel you have, and will provide a better stopping power than a band brake.
yes, that means another 16 bucks to collect I'm afraid, but it's the only option I am aware of.

'sid

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Cam, I'll send you the right drum either tomorrow or Monday. Use the new band from the kit. The brake Alex linked too won't work because the through hole I'd needs to be bigger to clear the tube. If not, the wheel will be too far out, and the brake too.
As far as that hole where the pin should be, get the correct size bolt that goes in the brake band. Get a grade 8, or at least 5, and 2 nuts, 2 washers, and 1 nylock nut. O,and a small diameter piece of tube that fits over the bolt, but small enough that the brake will seat good up against it. Put a washer on the bolt. Put it through the hole. Add the other washer and one nut. Snug it up and set the bolt where it needs to be. Now tighten the crap out of it. Add the second nut, and tighten it up against the first one. Add the tube and then the brake. Put on the nylock nut, just enough so there is no excessive slack, laterally.
The tabs in post #34 are the rear body mount tabs.

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
Cam, I'll send you the right drum either tomorrow or Monday. Use the new band from the kit. The brake Alex linked too won't work because the through hole I'd needs to be bigger to clear the tube. If not, the wheel will be too far out, and the brake too.
As far as that hole where the pin should be, get the correct size bolt that goes in the brake band. Get a grade 8, or at least 5, and 2 nuts, 2 washers, and 1 nylock nut. O,and a small diameter piece of tube that fits over the bolt, but small enough that the brake will seat good up against it. Put a washer on the bolt. Put it through the hole. Add the other washer and one nut. Snug it up and set the bolt where it needs to be. Now tighten the crap out of it. Add the second nut, and tighten it up against the first one. Add the tube and then the brake. Put on the nylock nut, just enough so there is no excessive slack, laterally.
The tabs in post #34 are the rear body mount tabs.

course thread fine thread what length ? what size washers?and if i got the stuff listed would you be able to guide me what to do if i took pics because what you just said caused me to brain fart.
You want me to use the bolts to anchor the band down on one side and then put a piece of pvc over it so it does not scrape?

Status
Not open for further replies.