Bobs 2024 Build Off Build

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
For my build thread I guess I should mention the things in the photos.

What you see above is a 48” long rectangular steel tube. 1.5x 2.5x 0.125”

Pillow block bearings for live axle are UCP205-16.

Also have a couple UCP202-10 for a jackshaft.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
IMG_5012.jpegIMG_5013.jpegAny preferences or style preferred for a valve stem for tubeless tires?

I’ve never put a tire on a wheel but think these valve stems are somewhat universal.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Woke up with a sore elbow and couldn’t figure out why.

Pushing my hand drill through 1/8” isn’t easy.

1/2” x 1.75” course thread stainless bolts, washers, lock washers, and nuts.
IMG_5026.jpeg

Master Hack

Reaction score
1/2” x 1.75” course thread stainless bolts, washers, lock washers, and nuts.
Not to be critical, your work is very nice, but I'm curious about the stainless bolts. While the 1/2 size is way stronger the necessary here, stainless is the weakest of the bolt choices.
Its purdy for sure won't rust, but is way expensive.
I have included this handy little survey from. check all that apply. (#5 and 9 apply to everything I use)

1. SS is expensive
2. SS is purdy
3. SS won't rust
4. SS is weak
5. I had them
6. DIYGK says so
7. Gr 5 is cheaper
8. GR 5 is stronger
9. SS was legally obtained free
10. SS was stolen

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Not to be critical, your work is very nice, but I'm curious about the stainless bolts. While the 1/2 size is way stronger the necessary here, stainless is the weakest of the bolt choices.
Its purdy for sure won't rust, but is way expensive.
I have included this handy little survey from. check all that apply. (#5 and 9 apply to everything I use)

1. SS is expensive
2. SS is purdy
3. SS won't rust
4. SS is weak
5. I had them
6. DIYGK says so
7. Gr 5 is cheaper
8. GR 5 is stronger
9. SS was legally obtained free
10. SS was stolen
I paid about $1 per bolt, washer, lock washer, and nut set. $14 for 12 delivered to my door.

I was going to get grade 8, but the ones I found were more expensive than the SS.

I was unaware the grade 5 was stronger.

Like you mentioned, 1/2” is pretty thick. I assumed any 1/2” bolt would do, so I went with purdee and non-rusty.
IMG_5027.jpeg

Master Hack

Reaction score
Good reason. We (fortunately) still have one place that sells bulk nuts and bolts. Grade 5 for $3.99/lb. I get 10 lbs every time inventory gets low...
Grade 5 is plenty strong for anything on a kart/bike/buggy or most anything i do.
Just a bit of trivia - fine thread is stronger. Anti seize is your friend unless he pi**es you off, then loctite is your friend!

Rat

Reaction score
Grade 5 is plenty strong for anything on a kart/bike/buggy or most anything i do.
I always gro grade 8
Just a bit of trivia - fine thread is stronger.
Nope not really.
One would think fine thread is stronger because more tpi engagement.

Unfortunately that's not true. Since the threads are so much thinner and shallower they are also that much easier to strip while being harder to cross thread than a coarse.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I avoid fine thread if possible.

The thought of possibly having to turn a 3/4 box wrench inside a 1.5 wide tube to tighten a fine thread connection gives me nightmares.

I’m not sure why I would need to, but my lack of planning could lead to some uncomfortable repairs.

I’m already thinking of ways to hold the bolt heads for the jackshaft, which will be much further up the tubes.

Evanguy

Reaction score
I
I always gro grade 8

Nope not really.
One would think fine thread is stronger because more tpi engagement.

Unfortunately that's not true. Since the threads are so much thinner and shallower they are also that much easier to strip while being harder to cross thread than a coarse.
I was under the impression fine threads were stronger with the same size bolt, they require less torque on the bolt to provide equal clamping force as a course thread.

Lots of high force areas in car engines use the fine version of a given size bolt over the course version

Rat

Reaction score
I’m already thinking of ways to hold the bolt heads for the jackshaft, which will be much further up the tubes.
Go with longer, bolt through the entire box so the head is external

Make stop washers to weld the nuts to. Basically a washer with a protruding blade that stops the nut from rotating beyond a certain amouth. A lot if chassis and suspension bolts used to use them, especially for bolting things like crossmembers for transmission support blind to the main rails

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Tee bolts make too much sense and would be too easy.

Im thinking something like a pry bar or bar stock stuffed up in the tube while tightening or loosening.

Frustration is part of the process.

Plus I already purchased these SS beauties.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Bubble gum and baling wire is much stronger than duck tape. Duck tape is only good for taping ducks. That’s why they call it duck tape.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Gum and bailing wire are typically used in combination? The wire reinforces the gum? Or does the gum reinforce the wire?

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Watched that move "The Racing Scene" over the weekend. They probably had many setups like that to make that film.