Barn Find Vintage Drill Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Got this from a buddy of mine. Been sitting in a barn for years! I don't know how old it is, or much else about it yet. But As rusty and stiff as it is, it still works!

This is a heavy pig. All cast-iron, bench model vintage drill press. I'm going to tear it down, give it the full works, and use it. My drill press is only 7 or 8 years old, but this thing is a big, bad, heavy-duty mofo in comparison. Way cool!

If anyone might know something about it, feel free to chime in!

Attachments

• IMG01603-20121206-1712.jpg
    IMG01603-20121206-1712.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG01604-20121206-1713.jpg
    IMG01604-20121206-1713.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG01605-20121206-1713.jpg
    IMG01605-20121206-1713.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG01606-20121206-1716.jpg
    IMG01606-20121206-1716.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 19

souperman000

Reaction score
Obviously variable speed. When I first saw it, I thought it might be a drill press like a guy I know has; combination drill press, table saw, and planer. but obviously not.

A real Canadian, eh?

newrider3

Reaction score
I'd say more likely pre-war, just based on the fact that it looks older than equipment I've used that saw action during WWII. We have a drill press with '40s Navy tags in a shop on campus, and even by then the drive and motor were enclosed.

fowler

Reaction score
its defintly old
and very cool
id be looking for a belt and bearings before u pull anything down
u never know what u will find and whtb u will have to reuse

and it certainly needs a guard around that belt as it is usually spinniung at eye/ forehead level

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I now know it's a Buffalo, badged for the Canadian market. I've started disassembly. The motor mount slides on two posts for belt adjustment, and one fixing bolt was broken off flush (eek!).

Out come the extractors! Got it all out. Found out the hole was stripped, I pulled out a helicoil...

I was also worried about getting that cast zinc motor pulley off without breakage. WD-40, a hot wrench and a 6" 3-leg gear puller made quick work of it. (Whew!)

Now I've got the motor plate adjustment posts soaking in penetrant, so I can try to weasel it out...

Last edited:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
They really don't build stuff like they used to! For a lump of iron that's about 60 years old and has spent at LEAST 5 years in an open barn and covered in condensation, it's comin apart quite nicely!

Got the motor and motor plate off, got the whole drill head assembly off the column. I just have to figure out how the heck to get the drill head apart... So far, it's a mystery!

jamyers

Reaction score
Oh, man...you REALLY don't want to mess with something like that.
:ack2:

But I'll take it off your hands...you know, do you a favor... :cool:

:lolgoku:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Thanks, Jamyers- I KNEW I could count on you to save me from something like this... LOL

The more I fiddle with this, the more I really like it. It really is built like a brick outhouse. I'll have to post a pic of my current 10" Mastercraft drill press. Kicks it's @ss, hands down. I can't wait to get this thing up and running properly. I'm just about to fab up the spindle brackets (knuckles) for the Weed Warrior, and I'd sure like to drill those holes with this!

The motor is original, nearest I can tell. And although it's noisy, it still runs. I WAS going to replace it, but I kinda like the vintage quality of it. Maybe I will just rewire everything, and keep the original motor going. Thoughts?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Gawd, I love this thing-

I've hit one of those, "Why funk with what works?" moments. I've gotten it pretty much completely torn down except for the chuck/spindle assembly, which is giving me fits. Can't get the dang chuck off (yet). I had planned on breaking it right down and probably replacing the bearings. But nearest I can tell, the bearings are near perfect! They are running smoothly, with no distinguishable play! KEWL!

So, I think I'll finish breaking down the base/column/table, clean and de-rust everything, paint it, and re-assemble!

I am really beginning to think that before it sat for so long, it had been serviced. For a 60?-year-old machine, the bearings are good and except for the chuck, I have had no major problems breaking it down.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
I don't think that's a 50's machine I have a stand up buffalo that is from the mid 50's-60's and the drill body(?) doesn't look quite the same. This looks similar, but definitely older.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Having a tough time ID'ing. I saw some 1940's machines, and they all had wooden handles. These are plastic. Clearly old, but plastic. It IS possible they were replaced. From what I can ascertain, they used the same body castings for decades!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Paul, thanks. I did scour those two sites last nite. It doesn't honestly matter that much- it's not like I need an impossible-to-find part for it- I'm just an information nut, i guess. When I find stuff, I really like to know exactly what I have. The search continues...

machinist@large

Reaction score
Cool finds!!!!

:thumbsup::cheers2: Way to go, Chris!!! What's the RPM range? For metal working, the slower the better; my 20" Clausing only goes down to 300 with the 1800 RPM motor that it came with; they offered 2 slower motors (1150 and 900) if memory is correct. The 900 RPM motor is what I would have loved to have; 150 RPM is slow enough to let you actually get some real work done when it comes to matl.'s like steel.

The #1 reason I haven't worried about the RPM range on the ol' girl is the fact I was able to score my Milwaukee Mag Drill for approx. 1/3 the price of new with less than 40 hours of run time on it; and a former employer who was to cheap to buy one for the shop, paid me 3X the purchase price in rental fee's, with me being the operator. It actually has more power than my Clausing, plus I can pick it up an move it by hand (with a serious amount of effort on my part).

Please keep us in the loop; and if you have questions on how to tear down the spindle, I might be able to help. PM me if you get to that point.

Pat

fowler

Reaction score
if the thread is stripped vand already heli coiled then u could use a thread insert

http://www.carrlane.com/siteData/webRefs/Images/TI_Info_01-1.gif

they are much better than heli coils but imortantly they will go in a stripped heli coil hole
u knock those pins down to lock it

surely this could be any age and plastic parts were added as early as the 70s
also is possible your motor may not be original
if this belonged to a farmer and was once in full time use then i dout he cared about keeping it origonal and replaced parts as quickly and cheaply as possible

machinist@large

Reaction score
if the thread is stripped vand already heli coiled then u could use a thread insert

http://www.carrlane.com/siteData/webRefs/Images/TI_Info_01-1.gif

they are much better than heli coils but imortantly they will go in a stripped heli coil hole
u knock those pins down to lock it

surely this could be any age and plastic parts were added as early as the 70s
also is possible your motor may not be original
if this belonged to a farmer and was once in full time use then i dout he cared about keeping it origonal and replaced parts as quickly and cheaply as possible

:lolgoku: So farmers in your part of the world are the same as over here? Good to know, for if I ever win the lottery and get the hankering to add an old 6 or 9 G Chamberlain to the collection ('course, I would have to actually go and buy a ticket to have that option......:oops:):cheers2::lolgoku::wai:

Status
Not open for further replies.