Another Streaker, for now I will call it the Beach Bumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWes

Reaction score
So the Beach Bumb has a story too.

But right now I want to make it move.

First things first. The axle needs work. The sprocket is toast. What a bear to take off.

I'm doing this right now. It's 87 degrees out there and I had to grind paint and rust. Luckily only the sprocket was stuck.

I figure I'll go ahead and clean the rest of the rust off and put some paint on it.

But for now...back to work.

IMG_20190613_161150444.jpg

IMG_20190613_161210991_HDR.jpg

Wes

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I'm doing this right now. It's 87 degrees out there and I had to grind paint and rust. Luckily only the sprocket was stuck.

Consider yourself lucky.
It frequently reaches the 100s here in a Texas summer.
But I assume it's not much better in Alabama though. :ack2:

BigWes

Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky.
It frequently reaches the 100s here in a Texas summer.
But I assume it's not much better in Alabama though. :ack2:

Considering I've lived in El Paso, San Antonio, Wichita Falls Texas... Kansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Washington, Alaska and visited countless other places in my travels.

I would have to say the most miserable place I ever spent any time was Gulfport MS. The hottest was Yuma AZ and weirdest being out in Death Valley freezing your balls off when it gets dark and the temperature drops into the 70s at night...

2 weeks ago we were in the 100s. I would say the weather is comparable for the most part except TX has more harsher winters. You guys actually see snow occasionally. Not so much where I live, but that's because I live only a few miles from Florida. So I get the Gulf weather here which is hot and humid. Humidity sucks as you know.

Now...for my next post... go-kart stuff!!!

Wes

BigWes

Reaction score
So after all that work, sanding and painting and brushing I ended up putting the axle back together. It came out pretty nice. I bought a sprocket hub from GPS so I can use 2 piece sprockets. Hopefully it will make life easier for me. So here is how that turned out. Notice I removed the engine. I had a plan.

IMG_20190613_192850994.jpg

In this picture you will notice I put the little wheels back on. These wheels and tires are not the right size or hub fit by the way...I was going to put the right ones back on. Also, you can tell the brake caliper isn't installed either. Another airheart brake with internals missing...such is life I guess.

IMG_20190613_192845555.jpg

Now let's get down to business. The next pictures are what brought today's project to a screeching a$$ halt. Not only that it kinda made me a bit mad. It's not that I can't fix this mess, it's just a time consuming delay. I wanted to blast this thing through the subdivision today. But no. If you look closely you can see it. As I was removing the engine it caught my eye. Then I started looking at all the stress points. I'm not done yet either.

IMG_20190613_192903590.jpg

This one is left frame member underneath in front of the brake mount.

IMG_20190613_192912658.jpg

And this one is a frame member. Underside, right rear. Both are a critical point.

I don't consider any frame cracks acceptable but yes some can be in places more critical than others.

IMG_20190613_193044348.jpg

Like I said, I can fix this. It did destroy my afternoon plans but I know better than to chance riding on these cracks. It's not worth it.

Maybe I can get the welder out soon and fix this. Today wasn't good for me, I wasn't in the mood and the wind was blowing way to hard to keep a good burn.

Huh, what you reckon caused those cracks? Rough care of the kart? Maybe jumping it? Wrong tires in back? It sure is beat up. I may try and do some inconspicuous bracing back there.

Ideas?

Wes

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Speaking of jumps...

And, also cracks are mostly just from years of abuse. Next time I do that I'm taking more air out of those tires. That hurt.

Attachments

• IMG_inhjeo.gif
    IMG_inhjeo.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_ydh5cz.gif
    IMG_ydh5cz.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 16

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
...First things first. The axle needs work. The sprocket is toast. What a bear to take off.

I had to beat and blowtorch-off the rear wheel hubs on my Ken-Bar S-465. They were basically welded on by rust. Haven't tried the sprocket yet and not sure I will.

Never again. Everything I put back together again gets a coating of axle grease or Anti-Seize.

BigWes

Reaction score
I had to beat and blowtorch-off the rear wheel hubs on my Ken-Bar S-465. They were basically welded on by rust. Haven't tried the sprocket yet and not sure I will.

Never again. Everything I put back together again gets a coating of axle grease or Anti-Seize.

Looks like I will have the same issues with the SC 6 (Beast) I'm probably going to have to cut one of the bearings to get the axle to drop from the hangers. And that's only after I disassemble the shafts from the differential. So it's going to be a pain in the butt. All the bearings are shot anyway so it may just be easier to hit think with a cutoff wheel than to try an fight with them.

I ordered some new hubs for this axle last night from GPS. I got the 1"-3/4". I am assuming that's the proper hubs. 1 inch with a 3/4 inch internal. My axle is 1 inch and the threaded area is stepped down. I believe your Ken-Bar is the same with a 4x4 hub. Let me know. The small kart wheels on here just aren't right. The keyways ain't even the same size.

Wes

Hellion

Reaction score
1-3/4"? Yikes, that's huge.

Mine is a 1" diameter with a step-down to 7/8". Preparing to paint the axle too. I don't like how they left these naked steel.

It's amazing--what you think might be shot bearings just need to be relubed. A few guys on YT show how to repack them and they're eerily quiet with new grease.

EDIT--you check them for lateral or side to side play. That's wear you don't want and then replace as necessary, I do believe.

BigWes

Reaction score
1-3/4"? Yikes, that's huge.

Mine is a 1" diameter with a step-down to 7/8". Preparing to paint the axle too. I don't like how they left these naked steel.

It's amazing--what you think might be shot bearings just need to be relubed. A few guys on YT show how to repack them and they're eerily quiet with new grease.

EDIT--you check them for lateral or side to side play. That's wear you don't want and then replace as necessary, I do believe.

Lol no! Lol I meant from 1 inch down to 3/4... It's only 1 inch...crap...mine may be a 7/8 as well...if so I have just ordered 2 hubs I can't use...

Pfft... I'll just hit them with a 7/8 bit or something. I'll think of something to open it up... shouldn't be an issue...

Wes

Hellion

Reaction score
I may have the exact same hubs you ordered. Don't recall if it was from GPS or BMI though.

The hubs are 1" ID and the step down area on the axle is 7/8" where the hubs go. Whoops! So what did I end up doing? Bought this tubing to take up the difference:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-OD-x-0-87-ID-x-10-Long-NEW-304-Stainless-Steel-Tube-Pipe-16-Gauge/371939809554

Now I've got to slot the tubing for the keyway and probably make a custom "taller key" out of scrap steel. Not sure on that yet. A standard key might have enough "purchase" on the keyway as-is....

P.S. What can I do? Those hubs are the only game in town that have the right bolt pattern for the stock rims. :eek:

BigWes

Reaction score
Hmmm, before you fight with that steel tube check the bins at tractor supply, there was some bushing material there I bought to modify a torque converter to fit a smaller shaft... I'll look it up later tonight and drop you a link...lot easier to work with and once installed just as strong and it won't rust in... I'll get back to you...

BigWes

Reaction score
Hey Hellion I don't know exactly what size you want or are going to need but check these out.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/bronze-flange-bearing-3-4-in-inner-dia-x-1-in-outer-dia-x-1-1-4-in-length?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/bronze-flange-bearing-3-4-in-inner-dia-x-7-8-in-outer-dia-x-1-1-8-in-length?cm_vc=-10005

I have used these before and these things work well. Thinner steel with bronze coating. They are easier to cut. Easier to file. Easier to sand. And once you get them into place and tightened down they aren't going anywhere. I use a touch of copper based anti-seize compound and have no issues removing them. Cut a slot as needed for key clearance and slide over your axle or as I did a jackshaft. I lightly sanded to fit with no issues. Once everything was secured I was good to go. I think you will find this a lot easier to work with than the steel tubing that you have in mind. Just something to think about. You must do what you will. Just thought I would share an more user friendly option. This is more like what you would find in a machinist type operation. The bronze coating is like a built in lubricant, at least until it gets worn away. Oh yea, and once you make your slot they will slightly open up and slightly close just a tad so it's kinda adjustable in that sense.

Good luck,

Wes

Last edited:

Hellion

Reaction score
Hey man, that's some cool material. Might be just a solid piece of bronze tubing but it looks like Oilite to me.

Definitely looking for something easy to machine. Thanks for the heads up.

BigWes

Reaction score
Actually if you look at the specs it's steel with a bronze coating over it...I wouldn't lead you astray man... not intentionally anyway, at least on parts and tools! I'm an aircraft mechanic for goodness sake! And a member of the Machinist union! I have a reputation to uphold! Everything else is fair game! :D j/k seriously though, check the specs sheet it's good parts or I wouldn't use it.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Wes, you may want to consider turning the Beach Bumb into a little sand dragster due to it's name....

Hellion

Reaction score
So wait, you're not really an aircraft mechanic? I honestly thought you were just the Joe Sixpack that lives down the street. :D

420Racer

Rip It Up
Reaction score
Nice Wes that's gonna be a cool ride! It's amazing how much of a pain it can be to get hubs and sprockets of an old axle or jackshaft. :mad2: it's 82 and sunny here in CT good day to be working on my project

BigWes

Reaction score
So wait, you're not really an aircraft mechanic? I honestly thought you were just the Joe Sixpack that lives down the street. :D

Lol yea I'd rather be having a six pack than working overtime right now! I shouldn't complain but it's hot and I didn't want to be here working out on the line!

Back to those bearings...

When my hubs come in I'll see if they fit, if not I will modify them and use these if needed.

Wes

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Nice Wes that's gonna be a cool ride! It's amazing how much of a pain it can be to get hubs and sprockets of an old axle or jackshaft. :mad2: it's 82 and sunny here in CT good day to be working on my project

I have a lot of welding to do....

But I'm hoping it's going to be a good little ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.