2017 - El Moto

Functional Artist

Well-known member
Messages
3,454
Reaction score
355
Location
Toledo, Ohio
No, that charger is for a 13S lithium battery,
The Chevy Volt modules that I have been using are 12S (~45V nominal).
So, they have a "safe" top charge voltage of ~49.8V (4.15V per cell x 12 - 49.8V)

The charger that I have been using is a Yewi UY-600, with the top charge voltage factory set to 49.8V

If interested, there's more info about it further back in the thread. ;)
 

Functional Artist

Well-known member
Messages
3,454
Reaction score
355
Location
Toledo, Ohio
1,000 E-Mile Update

My buddy got himself a Harley & we been ridin' a bit :cool:
...& so, I noticed that I have just put 1,000 miles on 'er since converting 'er to electric :2guns:

She rolls out fantastic & is/seems very "nimble" while riding (not like heavy feeling or awkward at all) :cheers2:

I now have (2) of the Chevy Volt 48V 50AH Lithium battery modules powering this 8,000W motor

...so, my range is now ~45 miles :bannana:
&
I'm now, running a 4.5:1 gear ratio (10T drive & 45T driven)
...so, my top speed is ~41 MPH (when fully charged) :sifone: yup, she's just a city "cruiser" :)

&
My chain "routing seems ta be workin' fine
...& I still do not hardly notice any "wear" on my sprockets :cornut:

*I was warned that my drive sprocket was too small & would wear prematurely or cause problems :smartass:
...well, them "haters" can "kiss", my drive sprocket :stir:


SAM_3220.JPG


I did a quick video to document the occasion :cornut:
 

Attachments

  • SAM_3221.JPG
    SAM_3221.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3151.JPG
    SAM_3151.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3144.JPG
    SAM_3144.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3149.JPG
    SAM_3149.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3150.JPG
    SAM_3150.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3148.JPG
    SAM_3148.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • SAM_3147.JPG
    SAM_3147.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1

Functional Artist

Well-known member
Messages
3,454
Reaction score
355
Location
Toledo, Ohio
One of the ingenious features that I incorporated, into the design of this bike, was to use an idler with the same size shaft, as the motor ;)
...so, I can easily interchange the (2) different size sprockets without having to "mess" with the size of the chain :cheers2:

The motor has a 10 tooth sprocket
...& with the 50 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel, the gear ratio is 5:1
...& my top speed is ~42 MPH

The idler has a 13 tooth sprocket

So, if I "swap" 'em (technical term)
...& put the 13 tooth sprocket on the motor, the gear ratio would be 3.85:1

By doing this, my top speed should increase :thumbsup:
...but, at the expense of some Amps (range) & torque (agility) :huh:

* The only "issue" I encountered was, putting a larger diameter sprocket on the motor made the chain "ride higher"
...& as such, the chain was rubbing on the chain guard :ack2:

So, I had ta do some adjustin' :cool:

Yup, I did a video, ta document the progress :sifone:
...(or failure) :mad2:
SAM_3605.JPGSAM_3612.JPG
 

Attachments

  • SAM_3608.JPG
    SAM_3608.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3619.JPG
    SAM_3619.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3621.JPG
    SAM_3621.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Functional Artist

Well-known member
Messages
3,454
Reaction score
355
Location
Toledo, Ohio
I've had my ElMoto out for a couple of rides so far this spring
...but, when I went ta take 'er for a ride last Wednesday, she would not "turn on" :huh:

The 48V battery pack, had a full charge
...but, the bikes 12V system was unresponsive (head light, tail light, brake light & turn signals)

So, I did some checking around :popcorn:
...& found that there was 48V goin' into the (48V side) of the DC to DC convertor (48V to 12V)
...but, there was nuthin' coming out of the 12V side :furious2:

Boom! :2guns:solved the mystery, the DC to DC convertor failed (has worked good since ~2017)
...so, I ordered a new one
...& just got it today :thumbsup:
SAM_4318.JPG
I added some plug ends
...& dated 'er (for future reference)
SAM_4319.JPG
Swapped (technical term) 'er out
...added some orange wire covers to protect & designate that they are 48V
...& also, to differentiate them from the 12V wires (black covering)
Then, tidied up the plugs/wiring a bit :sifone:
SAM_4321.JPG
Installed the fuse (Convertor has a 20A 12VDC max output so, it's 20A fuse)
...& gave 'er a try

Yup, everything seems ta work
...& were "back in business" (technical term) :bannana:
 
Top