2016 - Junk build the hard way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Okay, hopefully i have some time this weekend to to work on the kart some more. Despite my better judgment i spent money! more then i wanted to :(

Waiting for shipment of:
Rear RIMS $19.95 x2
Engine Plate $14.95 (should of went to local metal shop, oh well )
TAV2 /w #40 10T $72.89
1" Axle Bearing Kit $36.48 ( was given $50 amazon gift card so i used it! )
Throttle cable $10.59 ( i had some left from gift card, cost me extra $3 from my account )

subtotal: $174.81 :(

plus other carp
Brings my total to: ~$250

and i still need axle, 60T and chain to buy....

Good to know how much i spend in case i sell this later. But i think i rushed into the build to fast and now im stuck with it. Could of changed some of the front end a little. Maybe its fine.

Once it's painted it will look great! as long as it doesn't fall apart ill be okay :)

Maybe in 5 years someone will come on here and ask "WHAT IS THIS?"

The HF tires will fall apart very quickly.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Yah I can't wait either. Tav2 came in already! That was fast, went to hardware store and picked up some bolts to mount tav to predator. Everyone says needs fine thread and tav2 comes with coarse thread bolts. And some engine mount bolts too.

Purchased axle! Going with 40" live axle. Kind of already built kart wider then I should have. But 40" should be ok for rear. And 60t 40#.

So I guess now I wait until I can dry fit the rear parts....

Maybe mount tav2 and see if it fits okay.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Pulled off the tires from the useless rims! Had some flat steal left over that seemed to do the job. So now i wait for new rims to show up.

Attachments

• IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 7

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Managed to fire up the Predator Engine finally! Guess i got a good deal at $50.00 :wai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8KNAbDXUnE

Test Mounted the Tav2 Torque Converter. The oil plug was causing it not to sit flush at first. loosened the oil plug and it fit. Then tightened the oil plug back up as best I could. I hope it is a good seal. Anyone have problems like this? See image to see how close it is.

and a quick run with Tav2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrbbQjmoawI

As i expected from everyones comments on the Tav2 and predator it did not come with correct bolts. So before i started i picked up some 5/16-24 bolts to mount the Tav2 and for the crankshaft. Only to find out i didn't get a long enough bolt for the crank. the one that came with the tav2 was 5/16-18 @ 1 3/4" so i got a 5/16-24 @ 1 3/4" and it seemed to fit okay. i couldn't find a flanged one so i also added a 1/4" washer to act as the flange.

Do you guys put lock tight on these mount bolts and crankshaft bolt?

Attachments

• IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 10

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
I use loc-tite on all my engine bolts. These small engines vibrate whether they're balanced or not.

Only thing I didnt was the starter cover !

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Yes many guy have an issue with oil filler thing.
Predators have one on the front and back. So just cut off the part that is in the way, tighten it good and plan on using the other one. Oil leaks are just a messy PITA. Not worth "Hoping" it is tight.

hardcorewill

Reaction score
Hardcore 16

Same power plant, I am running on my Hardcore build . You should be very happy with the outcome .

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Yes many guy have an issue with oil filler thing.
Predators have one on the front and back. So just cut off the part that is in the way, tighten it good and plan on using the other one. Oil leaks are just a messy PITA. Not worth "Hoping" it is tight.

okay thanks. yah i think mine is on tight enough, but i would rather not take the chance of oil everywhere. When i get to mounting i think i will remove tav2 and cut that off or down to size. then locktight all bolts and reinstall.

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

Same power plant, I am running on my Hardcore build . You should be very happy with the outcome .

yah sounds and feels good on table i hope its great! i feel im overkilling it with tav2. almost did clutch first but i think i will be happy with the tav2

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

okay its starting to come together, more parts are showing up. axle bearings and wheels came in today.

Now i realize im going to need valves for these wheels.... dont think i can take from other set without damage. so i ordered a set online, along with 10' of roller chain and a chain breaker. Wasn't much more from 3' to 10' so why not have extra for other stuff. i'm thinking i will need 3-4'? didn't want to get 3 and be too short.

Okay so for the wheels!!! oh man what a pain. There has to be an easy do it yourself way to get these tires onto the new rims??? Tempted to get cheap HF wheel tools or find someone that can mount tires for me. I managed to get one tire on half way. Soap water and push hard. but other half....not wanting to go on. any ideas? more force? crowbar? drive over it with my truck!! i've watched a couple youtube vids and they make it look easy. I think i need something to hold the rim down tight for me while i work the tire on......

....any suggestions would help thanks.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Ok I have been patient This whole week!:surrender:
WE NEED SOME PICS!!!! Of the whole kart.:thumbsup:
I almost forgot what you are building here!:lolgoku:

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on axle to show up so I can figure out the back end.....I might be able to do some prelim layout. I just want to put wheels on and see how much clearance I will have. I could measure but. Like seeing it.

I posted engine video ! Isn't that enough to to hold you over. Kart is same as last full picture. Guess I will try and cut up some rear end tonight. Get some pics up. :thumbsup:

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Okay some preliminary drawings for the back end. With a mock up engine mount and engine size. I think I need the engine mount to be up about an inch or two above the frame? So the tav2 and driven sprocket dont hit. So I will build lower frame and then check with engine floating in place to be sure. Maybe there is enough clearance for it to be flat with the frame.

P. S. For now I'm off to the go kart races @ Fresno fairgrounds 🏁

Attachments

• IMAG0070~2.jpg
    IMAG0070~2.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0069.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 7

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Okay it was hot today and I was watching go kart racing most of the afternoon. But I managed to cut the frame parts. Looks like its going to fit everything. Should have some time tomorrow to weld it together.

Attachments

• IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 6

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Just something to think about. If you center the engine. It leaves more room on the Left side of the axle for a brake. which makes the linkage easier.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Oh do you have a hydro disc brake. Then yep easy. With mechanical brake you have to get the linkage front the left pedal to the right side of the axle.

Carry on.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Okay. Yeah I wasnt thinking about that. Was worried maybe breaking was better next to driven and that's why you suggested it. I have a hydraulic disc brake from a motorcycle. I was pushing the motor to the left so I would have some room for the brake Mounts on the right...

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Rear Frame welded. Hopefully it's squared enough. Need to weld it to the rest of the frame.

Still waiting on the axle and the sprocket.

Did get valve stems in. Both rear tires Inflated. See if they hold air over night.

Attachments

• IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 5

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Mounted rear end and axle bearing mounts. Kind of have a rolling chassis. A little flex in frame when I stand on it. So I may add some strengthining to it.

Ran out of welding wire.... Maybe I'll go to welding supply and pick up good wire this time. See how much better it works.

Attachments

• IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.