2015 - DesertDuler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Here is my entry for the 2015 DIYGK contest.It is a kart that I am going to build for my wife and all the design,fabrication,welding and machining will be done by myself.The engine is a 1970 Curtiss Wright rotary combustion engine which was made in Germany by Sachs and the engine has been modified by me for more power output.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 99

rushking19

Reaction score
Here is my entry for the 2015 DIYGK contest.It is a kart that I am going to build for my wife and all the design,fabrication,welding and machining will be done by myself.The engine is a 1970 Curtiss Wright rotary combustion engine which was made in Germany by Sachs and the engine has been modified by me for more power output.

Awesome build, I Thought I Would Never See The Sachs Rotary Again can't wait to hear this thing run again.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Awesome build, I Thought I Would Never See The Sachs Rotary Again can't wait to hear this thing run again.
Thanks, I decided to use this engine because it is so smooth running and it is completely rebuilt by myself and pretty rare now days. I just as well use it as let it sit just a conversation piece.
It has decent power and after I ported it the engine will turn over 8000 RPM all day long.I am going to lower the gear ratio somewhat and this kart will be about 30 to 40 lbs lighter than mine.

rushking19

Reaction score
Thanks, I decided to use this engine because it is so smooth running and it is completely rebuilt by myself and pretty rare now days. I just as well use it as let it sit just a conversation piece.
It has decent power and after I ported it the engine will turn over 8000 RPM all day long.I am going to lower the gear ratio somewhat and this kart will be about 30 to 40 lbs lighter than mine.

Yep those engines are quite rare, But They sound really good idling, and that thing should pull hard since its light weight

Desertduler

Reaction score
So I just returned from my metal supplier with 48 ft of 1-1/4 .072 square tubing that I have cut in lengths of 2-10ft,2-8ft,and 2-6ft sections as a start for the frame.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 23

Desertduler

Reaction score
I have the front axle built all ready for this kart and the main beam is made of .120 wall 1-1/2 square tubing.The king pins are made of .625 stainless steel rod and the pins are supported by sealed bearings which I have pressed in the machined counter bores of the spindles and the two sealed bearings have aluminium spacers that contact the bearings inner races so as all the bearings support the weight that is on the front end.The holes that the king pins pass through the mounting ears are reamed not drilled as to have zero tolerance there so the bores in the ears do not get worn from the king pins.The washers stacks are for weight jacking as needed.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 78

Desertduler

Reaction score
Well I have changed my mind about which power plant that I am going to use on this kart and I have decided to use my KM24 Sachs Rotary instead of the 303. This engine is physically smaller and lighter and I am able to mount this engine lower on the frame with a less complex and lighter engine mount set up.But this engine will not be used with this open exhaust pipe.I get quite a few hits on my you tube channel of this engine just idling wit the open exhaust.:lolgoku:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnPpV83qEsE

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 20

Desertduler

Reaction score
I love how small that engine is!
Yes me too,and another thing that is nice about these rotary engines is they are without vibration and this model is rare also.I have everything to make it electric start if I want to do so also but I want to keep the weight of this kart down as much as possible.

rushking19

Reaction score
Well I have changed my mind about which power plant that I am going to use on this kart and I have decided to use my KM24 Sachs Rotary instead of the 303. This engine is physically smaller and lighter and I am able to mount this engine lower on the frame with a less complex and lighter engine mount set up.But this engine will not be used with this open exhaust pipe.I get quite a few hits on my you tube channel of this engine just idling wit the open exhaust.:lolgoku:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnPpV83qEsE

I Remember This Video I Love The Km24 Too, And I Love The Idle With The Straight Pipe I Always Used To Watch This Video Just To Hear It Idle

Desertduler

Reaction score
Yep I Remember That You Said That Had To Wear Ear Protection Because It Was So Loud, And What Muffler Do You Plan On Putting On It?
Rotary engines have 270 degrees of exhaust duration and very high exhaust temps to deal with. I might use a super trapp muffler for a off road buggy as I have used them before on my race buggies and have had good luck with them. They are tunable and this engine needs to breathe so I think that I can get by with one that is designed for a four cylinder VW buggy engine, I will have to try one out and check the back pressure with a manometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.