2013 - pvc buggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott_shot

Reaction score
Phenomenal idea and plan, i suppose in theorey you can with some clever engineering it culd be fairly strong, and although t may not last forever, it should be easy enough to replace sections :) Good luck buddy cant wait to see the result

freqster

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_2500_zps52824ba6.jpg
    IMG_2500_zps52824ba6.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2502_zps712ad7f5.jpg
    IMG_2502_zps712ad7f5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2505_zpsdab0f766.jpg
    IMG_2505_zpsdab0f766.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2506_zps84473aa8.jpg
    IMG_2506_zps84473aa8.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 43

freqster

Reaction score
Have you thought about filling the pvc with foam?

As a matter of fact I have thought of that. I was wondering if it would add any strength. I did learn that you can't just use the spray foam in the can. Ive read on some off road sites that it just makes a sticky mess in the pipes. Maybe there is some other kind that would work well? Thoughts?

fowler

Reaction score
U can buy the expando foam stuff in a can
But in its bare form

It's just a part A and part B bucket
Mix the two together and it's a goo like liquids

U will have issues with alot of air locks

It won't add any real strength but it will proberbly float
U would fill the whole thing with resin to make it strong
But then it would be very heavy

captain67

Reaction score
I think foam would increase strength a bit. Some home builders around here do not use osb sheeting on the outside of their houses. They sheet with foam and insulate with spray foam. Not how I wanted to build my house, but the spray foam did lock up the sheet foam pretty good. I would use the high density, low expanding foam in a can. Just drill a hole to fit the tube. Experiment with spacing and fill rates on a scrap piece. I think the strength to weight trade off would be in your favor. The strength to cost trade off is yours to work out.

freqster

Reaction score
I don't think I would see any strength increase in the frame with foam. I think the real strength will be when I put the "skin" on the buggy. I wish I knew how to fiberglass. I would like to wrap the frame in fleece and coat it with the resin/fiberglass. That would probably be expensive!

captain67

Reaction score
Up here in MI, we have to winterize our boats. A lot of times we use shrink wrap. It's a thick flexible plastic that shrinks with heat. We have made some pretty durable ice shanties out of that stuff. It sure would make an ultra light shell, although not indestructible.

freqster

Reaction score
Time for an update...

I needed a few more bicycle rims for my buggy, and I found a guy on Craigslist selling 15 bikes for $100. So I went and got them. It worked out pretty well. I got several 48 spoke rims which are a little stronger then the original ones I had. I also got 6 good tires and tubes. I would have spent more then $100 on tires and tubes when it was finished, so I am already saving money. I will be able to use the cables on the bikes too for breaks, throttle, ect. He also had two radio flyer childerens tricycles in the group that I bought. I will be saving the red one for my son for his first tricycle! I tried to take a picture of all the bikes, but I would have had to open the garage door to stand back far enough and I was lazy so I just took what I could.

I am still waiting on the funds for my first welder, so I decided to tear apart the Chinese quad and get it ready. I took the time to clean everything up a bit on the engine and label all the electrical connections.

I finally figured out a way to adapt my bicycle wheels to a 3/4" axle. I found an instructable from a guy that did almost exactly what I was thinking: http://www.instructables.com/id/26-wheel-upgrades-for-pedicabs/

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2513.jpg
    IMG_2513.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2517.jpg
    IMG_2517.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 32

freqster

Reaction score
Up here in MI, we have to winterize our boats. A lot of times we use shrink wrap. It's a thick flexible plastic that shrinks with heat. We have made some pretty durable ice shanties out of that stuff. It sure would make an ultra light shell, although not indestructible.

This is very interesting. I was thinking that you could shrink wrap one layer, put a ridged panel in place, then shrink warp another layer over that. But I am sure the shrink wrap you are talking about is expensive right?

shakey0818

Reaction score
I on e made a handicap ramp and the handels were made from pvc and i filled them with cement.I dont think it would hold upo with any flex but its worth a shot to investigate it.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a bit worried still with you using bicycle wheels for your buggy. They cannot take a lot of side loads, and could buckle quite easily. Are you sure you can't at least get motorbike/pitbike wheels

fowler

Reaction score
Well if any bike wheels will hold up then they will

But they still aren't ideal

It's not the spokes it's the bearings

From experience in making a much lighter similar type of vehicials

Bike bearing don't like side loads
They are made to lean into the corners

In the end we milled the hubs out to hold needle bearings
But then the hubs start warping after a few hours of service

On a differant note
You got 6 tyres from 15 bikes
Wow

jamyers

Reaction score
This is very interesting. I was thinking that you could shrink wrap one layer, put a ridged panel in place, then shrink warp another layer over that. But I am sure the shrink wrap you are talking about is expensive right?

Anybody got a cheap source for this shrink wrap?

captain67

Reaction score
Anybody got a cheap source for this shrink wrap?

How much are you looking for? The cost is about 10 cents per square foot. The problem is it comes in very large rolls. They will start taking it off of boats here in the next month and there are usually some decent stuff that gets thrown out. It is not uncommon to reuse shrink wrap once or twice, but some people toss it every season.

Status
Not open for further replies.