2013 - AusEx (AmEx Replica)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
What a day I've just had! A few days ago I picked up a bench lathe So today I went & bought some bits & pieces for it (drill chuck, live centre, tooling...) 2 stops & $200 later...

Oh, while I was out that way, I picked up the pieces for my frame from Carrington Products who did all the bending for me*

*I've already checked, it's not cheating! Think about it, some entries will start with a pre made frame, I still have to weld mine together...

Attachments

• SDC10779.jpg
    SDC10779.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 480
  • SDC10783.jpg
    SDC10783.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 637

OzFab

Reaction score
Official Start Pic

Please keep in mind, we write the date the right way (day/month/year)

Attachments

• SDC10789.jpg
    SDC10789.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 582

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Y'know- I really love having the ability to make people write a perfectly bizzarre (and funny) word on a sign, take a picture of it, and post it on the internet. Life is good. LOL

Enjoy the new tools, Tony, and good luck!

OzFab

Reaction score
Day 1 & I'm already up to my neck in it :mad2:

First thing was to place the rear cross brace, behind the seat, which I did from memory as opposed to consulting the design. As I designed the frame, I thought I knew every inch of it but, I guess not coz I put the brace in the wrong place :censored:

So now I check the design measurements & find I'm 4" out :ack2: After trial fitting the engine I realise there won't be enough space so I split the difference.

Then came the seat frame. Positioned it where it needed to be &... that doesnt look right :huh: A few measurements, consult the design & it's bent at the wrong angle :oops: MY bad... A quick "adjustment" & we're good to go... or are we?

I didn't twig when I was putting in the cross brace but the bottom of the tube is 130mm higher than the front section of the frame... it should be 150mm :censored: Ok, what went wrong?

Careful examination revealed all the bend angles were close but, the distance between the bends on the drop was 30mm short :censored::censored::mad2::mad2::censored:

MAN! You want something done right, DO IT YOURSELF!!!
I paid a business big money to make the frame & gave them the design with as many measurements as possible & they still messed it up; guess who's making an angry phone call tomorrow morning...

Attachments

• SDC10794.jpg
    SDC10794.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 149
  • SDC10791.jpg
    SDC10791.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 121
  • SDC10793.jpg
    SDC10793.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 127
  • SDC10792.jpg
    SDC10792.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 138

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed!!!

Can i ask, What is a AmEx? Obv a kart/buggy but can u post a pic of what the AusEx is based on? :arf:

It is a Manco American Express. It is the smaller brother of the Dingo. Have a look at THIS thread to see what it looks like. Basically you can see both in the pic below

Attachments

• DingoandAmEx.jpg
    DingoandAmEx.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 439

scott_shot

Reaction score
Thanks Landuse
I should have searched here instead of google lol Looks great fun :thumbsup:

Cant wait to see what yours comes out like, Good luck bud:cheers2:

OzFab

Reaction score
New goodies all the way from Cali-for-ni-ay :wai:

Attachments

• SDC10811.jpg
    SDC10811.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 12t #35 MaxTorque Clutch.jpg
    12t #35 MaxTorque Clutch.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 88
  • #35 Chain.jpg
    #35 Chain.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 94

OzFab

Reaction score
The price of the clutch, chain & shipping would've got me a clutch locally; $75... & I'd still need to get a chain which was proving difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.