2013 - AusEx (AmEx Replica)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
Dude, that is awesome!! Cinematic brilliance! I laughed, I cried...two big :thumbsup:

And thanks for the shout-out!

Oh yeah, I meant to ask you about that :innocent:

Have you had a chance to wring it out yet?

Unfortunately, no. I've been mega busy lately, not only during the week but, the last few weekends have been flat out & this coming weekend is the same. I'm sure I'll get around to it by ...umm... christmas?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Video looks fantastic Tony! Well put together, and the music is really cool too!

When you re-do the end, you should swap in some good drift footage, or maybe put 'er up on two wheels? Okay- don't kill yourself, but I bet you could get something really dramatic in there.

danssoslow

Reaction score
After discussing using the sand paper and glass trick, I revisited your build to check out what you had done. It appears that you even done the block's deck, is that right? How did you go about this?

OzFab

Reaction score
After continuous chain derailment issues, I thought I'd better do something about it. Now, I must admit, I used a sheet of rubber under the engine thinking it would minimise slipping & damage to the paint but, it did exactly the opposite...

Every time it was driven, it would go no more than a few hundred metres (mind you, its never been more than 50 metres without stopping or turning) without the chain coming off. At first I thought it was a tensioner issue; fixed that, same problem. Then I though it may have something to do with the micro suspension but, the tensioner is supposed to deal with that.

After a closer inspection, I then realised that the engine had moved (so much for the non slip rubber mat). Adjust, ride, same issue; the engine had moved again. Time for the rubber mat to go...

When I removed the engine I found this:

Sorry about the dark pics, I can get more if you want...

Attachments

• IMAG0510.jpg
    IMAG0510.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0511.jpg
    IMAG0511.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0513.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 53

KartFab

Reaction score
It's sad to see a go kart with messed up paint. Drive it through some mud or dirt to cover up those blemishes :)

machinist@large

Reaction score
After continuous chain derailment issues, I thought I'd better do something about it. Now, I must admit, I used a sheet of rubber under the engine thinking it would minimise slipping & damage to the paint but, it did exactly the opposite...

Every time it was driven, it would go no more than a few hundred metres (mind you, its never been more than 50 metres without stopping or turning) without the chain coming off. At first I thought it was a tensioner issue; fixed that, same problem. Then I though it may have something to do with the micro suspension but, the tensioner is supposed to deal with that.

After a closer inspection, I then realised that the engine had moved (so much for the non slip rubber mat). Adjust, ride, same issue; the engine had moved again. Time for the rubber mat to go...

When I removed the engine I found this:

Sorry about the dark pics, I can get more if you want...

Sorry about the paint job; I'm even sorrier that I missed the rubber mat. If I'd caught it, I would have flagged it for you, because I've seen former machine repair customers try the same idea, with basically the same results (usually with a much bigger price tag for the repairs, though).

:oops: Pat

OzFab

Reaction score
It's sad to see a go kart with messed up paint. Drive it through some mud or dirt to cover up those blemishes :)

1. It's a street kart
2. a little bit worse than "blemishes", more like blisters :lolgoku:

Sorry about the paint job; I'm even sorrier that I missed the rubber mat. If I'd caught it, I would have flagged it for you, because I've seen former machine repair customers try the same idea, with basically the same results (usually with a much bigger price tag for the repairs, though).

:oops: Pat

Thanks Pat. I don't think I publicised that point so, you can relax :lolgoku:

The irony is it did exactly what I was attempting to prevent...

Oh well; the plan now is I'll sand back the engine plate & coat it with bedliner, let's see if that makes a difference...

machinist@large

Reaction score
Hmmm; how to fix this...

1. It's a street kart
2. a little bit worse than "blemishes", more like blisters :lolgoku:

Thanks Pat. I don't think I publicised that point so, you can relax :lolgoku:

The irony is it did exactly what I was attempting to prevent...

Oh well; the plan now is I'll sand back the engine plate & coat it with bedliner, let's see if that makes a difference...

Bedliner material may give you the same problems; I've seen to many hack jobs with the stuff to feel confident about recommending it. My personal experience with the stuff has been zilch; the rubber bed mats that I'm fond of weren't intended for the app you tried, and the industrial customers all seemed to be smoking something less than off the shelf....

If you want to keep the motor from shifting, when you get ready to repaint, spray it; then sprinkle a couple of pinches of blasting media evenly over the wet paint. You've already got the spring tensioner to handle the minute adjustments, so you'll only need to break the motor loose for the big stuff...

Just a couple of ideas...

:thumbsup: :cheers2: :popcorn: Pat

OzFab

Reaction score
Bedliner material may give you the same problems; I've seen to many hack jobs with the stuff to feel confident about recommending it. My personal experience with the stuff has been zilch

If I understand the purpose of bedliner, it's made to protect the bed & prevent items from sliding around on it...

:iagree: A hack job won't help but, would you call me a hack? Below is an example of just one of my experiences with bedliner, the underside of my trailer

If you want to keep the motor from shifting, when you get ready to repaint, spray it; then sprinkle a couple of pinches of blasting media evenly over the wet paint

That gives me yet another idea, grip tape... (well, it's not called grip tape for nothing...)

Attachments

• SDC10404.jpg
    SDC10404.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 32
  • SDC10405.jpg
    SDC10405.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 31

KartFab

Reaction score
If you are worried about it sliding around, just use these instead of washers? I have pulled these off of old go karts and they still are stuck in the same spot they were bolted on because it puts a little indention in the metal.

Just my 2 cents. (hex self locking flange nuts)

Attachments

• nahled-10270-6923.jpg
    nahled-10270-6923.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 229

machinist@large

Reaction score
Tony, I wasn't calling YOU a hack, I was saying that I hadn't seen many home brew jobs that inspired me. Besides; I already stated that I didn't know much about the stuff; the sand in the wet paint? Been there, done that; works like a charm!!!!

That's why I suggested it.

Grip tape? The thinner the better, but most importantly, how strong is the adhesive in the backing?

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Bed liner was designed to protect n does help w/ sliding slightly, due to texture. The stuff that 'grips'(n ive talked to alotta folk that get confused) is undercoating. Bedliner dries to a hardened surface... where as 'undercoating' dries to a softer texturing. Ive seen 'hack' jobs where someone thinking their the same... ended up not being satisfied w/ the results. The bad thing bout bed liner is after awhile it dries out n doesnt look like it did upon application. The bad thing bout undercoating is a black 'soot' rubs off of it even when fully cured.

... and grip tape = sandpaper sticker/decaling...?

Status
Not open for further replies.