Yerfdog 3203 rebuild questions.

Kartdude2000

Reaction score
I have an old yerfdog and am going to put in a new predator, cvt etc.

Any suggestions on where to buy everything to do this? I did the same thing YEARS ago but haven’t thought about it since.

The 2 issues I ran into last time were 1) the bolt the attached the cvt to the driveshaft BARELY went into the driveshaft. Like maybe 1/2”. Not much depth there. Didn’t cause an issue necessary but I remember not liking it...

2) after a year or so the kart would run but under load wouldn’t move. Engine was fine but I could never figure out wth was wrong.

Any advice would be helpful to complete the rebuild and ensure I don’t have the same issues. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
What type of motor are you referring to from years past? On my Honda clone (VERY similar to a Predator) I ran into the same issue with the crank bolt and didn't like it so I got a grade 8, 5/16 24tpi (fine thread) bolt and I believe it was 2-1/4" long. I used a welding rod to figure out the length as I wanted as much thread engagement as possible. Don't forget to clean the threads of the crank really well and use blue threadlocker!

As for not moving under load I'd guess the belt wore out but the driver clutch could've been sticking internally if it wasn't cleaned and dry lubed regularly.

Kartdude2000

Reaction score
It was a predator. Probably 5 years ago, not decades lol.

I’m not sure I’m following on the bolt type you got? You could be right on the clutch Seizing. Thanks.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
A grade 8 (very strong), 5/16 fine thread (24tpi) hex bolt about 2-1/4" long. Verify the length you need, ask for help at the hardware store and they'll hook you up I'm sure. You'll find that the bolt that comes with the torque converters are metric AND too short anyhow, they are designed for the metric overseas motors. Oh yeah I just remembered, you'll need the same type of bolt for torque converter mounting also but much shorter, 1" long if I'm remembering correctly, again verify the length you need. Do a dry fit and find something to probe the hole, mark with a marker, measure then subtract a hair because you don't want the bolt to bottom out. Dont forget to account for washer thickness!

Kartdude2000

Reaction score
A grade 8 (very strong), 5/16 fine thread (24tpi) hex bolt about 2-1/4" long. Verify the length you need, ask for help at the hardware store and they'll hook you up I'm sure. You'll find that the bolt that comes with the torque converters are metric AND too short anyhow, they are designed for the metric overseas motors. Oh yeah I just remembered, you'll need the same type of bolt for torque converter mounting also but much shorter, 1" long if I'm remembering correctly, again verify the length you need. Do a dry fit and find something to probe the hole, mark with a marker, measure then subtract a hair because you don't want the bolt to bottom out. Dont forget to account for washer thickness!

It’s the torque converter bolt that I broke. If I’m using a predator and the correct TC shouldn’t it be a standard/known bolt size? Not sure what you mean by torque converter mounting?

Not being a wise *** lol... I honestly don’t know. Thanks

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
I have a 3202 with a honda gx390 with no governor its a ripper Chinese cvt's suck if you have a governor

Attachments

• 20200604_154251.jpg
    20200604_154251.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 5

Karttekk

Reaction score
I ran into the same issue with the last kart I just reconditioned. The torque converter drive clutch only went on the engine crankshaft a 1/2" or so. I called Dave at Dave's Kart Sales in Ohio and asked about possibly adding an adapter of some sort to make the clutch more robust. He told me he had the same issue too and was told by the manufacturer it was normal to only have a small amount of attachment area like that. I measured for a longer bolt then picked up a Grade 8 fine thread bolt, a flat washer and a lockwasher then ran the bolt in pretty firmly. Haven't had any trouble with it.

Kartdude2000

Reaction score
I ran into the same issue with the last kart I just reconditioned. The torque converter drive clutch only went on the engine crankshaft a 1/2" or so. I called Dave at Dave's Kart Sales in Ohio and asked about possibly adding an adapter of some sort to make the clutch more robust. He told me he had the same issue too and was told by the manufacturer it was normal to only have a small amount of attachment area like that. I measured for a longer bolt then picked up a Grade 8 fine thread bolt, a flat washer and a lockwasher then ran the bolt in pretty firmly. Haven't had any trouble with it.

Good info. Thanks. So should I use the bolt length the manual calls for and just use a grade 8 fine? Thanks

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
If I’m using a predator and the correct TC shouldn’t it be a standard/known bolt size? Not sure what you mean by torque converter mounting?

Depending in the TC kit you get it may not have the correct bolt with it, mine wasn't. Most of them are made overseas for metric threaded motors...

My mistake about mounting, I was referring to the TC plate that bolts onto the motor but you probably have a jackshaft and dont require the mounting plate, if you do then you'll need new hardware for it also.