Yerf dog project kickoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoppe

Reaction score
This is the yerf dog 3202 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) that I picked up for my boys. I don't have many toys myself so I got something we could share. It is completely stock minus the butchering it received from its previous owner and I'm assuming a rollover.

When I got it home I got it started and it did a WHOPPING 19mph. After some quick research I confirmed that wasnt right. I found that the throttle had been tampered with to keep it about half throttle. I custom made a new cable to allow full throttle. Does about 25mph now. I'm counting worn TC and engine as the culprits. I have a stage 1 predator in the shop, so I'm gonna squeeze the tejunkseh until she pops and replace it. I also shattered the steering wheel hopping in it, but had a spare.

Future sees the predator swap, probably ATV front suspension and maybe ATV wheels/tires. Spocket swap may be in order as well depending on the predator. A roll cage is also a must before the kiddos get ahold of it. I tipped it at its half throttle state.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Attachments

• Gokart1.jpg
    Gokart1.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Gokart2.jpg
    Gokart2.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Gokart3.jpg
    Gokart3.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Gokart6.jpg
    Gokart6.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Gokart5.jpg
    Gokart5.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 12

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Budget GoKart also has a Yerf Dog 3202(Yes that's a 3202).
He'll eventually pop in here.

BigWes

Reaction score
Those rear shock mounts look like they are off to me, maybe an illusion, but if they are off you'll have symmetry issues with your shock ratios or deflection rates, however you wanna call it. I'm more of an engine guy but I'd love to see what you do with it. I know some of y'all can make an old kart into a great looking machine and I love to see it happen.

Jhoppe

Reaction score
Those rear shock mounts look like they are off to me, maybe an illusion, but if they are off you'll have symmetry issues with your shock ratios or deflection rates, however you wanna call it. I'm more of an engine guy but I'd love to see what you do with it. I know some of y'all can make an old kart into a great looking machine and I love to see it happen.

Those shock mounts are off. The used to be mounted to a hoop that went around the engine but has been broken off so they just remounted then to the remaining frame. I intend to fix that

BigWes

Reaction score
Those shock mounts are off. The used to be mounted to a hoop that went around the engine but has been broken off so they just remounted then to the remaining frame. I intend to fix that

Good deal. Glad I wasn't seeing things. And glad you caught it too. Sounds like you are already working on a plan. :thumbsup:

Jhoppe

Reaction score
Yeah the TC still has plenty of life left. Just needs a scrub and rebuild.

This is my vision of the back half of the cage. Open to adjustment of course. I dont plan to tie it into the front, but I'm just gonna play it by ear

Attachments

• Gokart9.jpg
    Gokart9.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 17

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Budget GoKart also has a Yerf Dog 3202(Yes that's a 3202).
He'll eventually pop in here.

Hi i have an old racing wheel on my 3202 and a 212 with a tc will work fine mine has a 420cc with a tc. nice to see yerfdogs being taken care of, and please dont put atv suspension on it do a spider box front end conversion its way easier ive been told.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

They sell them on ebay and at tractor supply i suggest the exact ones that came with it they provide plenty of grip

Jhoppe

Reaction score
I would do the spiderbox if they weren't so darn ugly. I can fabricate so I'm not worried.

I just picked those tires because they are the right size and I like that they are DOT.

Jhoppe

Reaction score
Jan 3, 2020

Had a free day today so I went to the workshop and tore into the predator I got for this project. Plan for the day was governor removal, plug extra holes, clean the crankcase, and clean the carb.
Well when I broke it down to remove the governor I found that I could not get my piston to top dead center. So I pulled the head to find a mess of water and rust. I got the engine for free so I wasnt too upset. I got the honing stones out and cleaned up the cylinder the best I could, but I will admit it wasn't as good as I would have liked.
Got the governor and low oil sensor pulled out. Tapped the sensor hole and dropped in a bolt. To remove the governor I pulled the flywheel, which I needed to do anyways and tapped the whole governor post out. Replaced with a bolt a la Red Beards Garage.
Sprayed the crankcase out with brake clean and got the whole engine reassembled.
Mounted it up to the yerf. It was an easy swap, but I am going to have to play with the TAV alignment, but it will do for now. I could not get the engine to start. Checked and we had air fuel and spark. Last culprit was compression because of the damaged cylinder walls and rings. Thumb over the spark plug hole yielded very weak compression. My dad reset valve lash while I was preoccupied and she cranked right up. The throttle and good carb clean are next on my to do list.
Throttle will be tricky because the previous owner of the engine took a few parts off, so I will have to make some new parts, order them......... or just buy a slide carb and knock out those last two problems at once.

Attachments

• 20200103_180731.jpg
    20200103_180731.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200103_132502.jpg
    20200103_132502.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200103_132457.jpg
    20200103_132457.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200103_131301.jpg
    20200103_131301.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200103_125926.jpg
    20200103_125926.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 6

Jhoppe

Reaction score
Jan 22

Parts order came in! Got a 20mm slide carb, tachometer, new chain and some spare belts! Now I just need a day in the shop and the fun can get started! Did someone say top speed run?

Attachments

• 20200122_105710.jpg
    20200122_105710.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.