Wont start and im clueless

Cnapier

Reaction score
I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just starting to teach myself about go carts and atvs. My cart wont start. I noticed this green wire isn't connected to anything and there was a red wire laying on the ground beside the cart. The battery good. My wench works. Any ideas, I'm a beginner be gentle lol

Attachments

• 16128036577722643498358933571426.jpg
    16128036577722643498358933571426.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 15

AndyAndyAndy

Reaction score
First check for spark. Take out spark plug, place it on metal body and try to start. If you have spark your electric is OK.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Is that an electric start (starter motor on engine) or just a pullrope start? Whatever it is, a friend would be very useful, especially if pullrope. Friend can yank on rope or spin the starter, so you can be up close and personal with the spark plug. Hard to see that little spark from the core to the electrode, especially in daylight or bright lights. Hold the plug good and tight to the motor casing like Andy referred to, get good metal-to-metal contact (plug-to-casing), look up close for that spark.
If no spark, pull the plug wire off and toss the plug over to where you clean parts. Put at least a medium size screwdriver into the plug wire boot, making sure it's up there in contact with the metal clip. Hold the driver close to the casing, see if a spark jumps to the casing when starter or rope spins motor. A way that has worked well for me is to put a few turns of electrical tape around the driver shaft to use as a spacer. Hold the taped section to the casing, see if a spark jumps somewhere around the narrowest gap.
If you get a spark, clean that plug real good and try it again like you did before. If no spark from the plug still, replace the plug.
When done with all that, see if that green wire is attached to bare metal at one end. If so, it's likely a bridge from the motor to the kart frame. Not always necessary due to motor mounting bolts, but always a good idea.
Keep us posted, lots of folks enjoy helping out from here.

jamyers

Reaction score
Two things: 1. Don't toss spark plugs, they'll break. ;^)
2. Looks like a GY6 engine, and on 99.9% of those (and all chinese clones), green wire is ground - just so you know.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Sorry for that word slip, does indeed sound too casual, that porcelain insulator does need to be treated with kid gloves.
Ever see the video where the body man throws a baseball at a car window and it doesn't break, then he shatters the porcelain on a spark plug, throws a little piece of it at the window and shatters it?
Tricky stuff that plug porcelain. Ming dynasty porcelain maybe?

Cnapier

Reaction score
Thanks very much! It is an electric start.
Green wire is the one hanging. Definitely went somewhere. No spark from the plug guys

Cnapier

Reaction score
I've got 3 boys and a grandson, so I bought kawasaki 650 prairie, a ling hai something 350 maybe? Dunno, definitely Chinese and the go kart. Something is always messing up. The carb is leaking gas on the 650, the clutch doesn't work on the Chinese mess and now my kart won't start!

Cnapier

Reaction score
And did I mention I actually watched you tube, talked to smart guys like you all and learned to work on the prairie just by trial and error. I'm really proud of that lol

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Since you seem to be near my age it would be weird to say I'm also proud of you myself. I'll just call it respect, anything learned through purposeful study is an excellent thing. Keep on learning, and you'll keep those kart tires turning.

jamyers

Reaction score
Glad to see you're not afraid to jump in - that's 99% of learning new things!

If that's a GY6 engine, it's wiring is going to be a bit more complicated than a Predator or the like. But not to worry, there are GY6 wiring diagrams all over the internet, and they're basically all wired the same way, and parts are common as dirt nowadays.

Please google up some images of a GY6, and confirm that's what you've got.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Ya see, that's how good jokes get lost. Drop the ball, and it falls down a well.
Ming dynasty most well known name to general public. Mechanic "zinged" the shard at window.
Zing dynasty. Joke lost.

Snaker

Reaction score
I've got 3 boys and a grandson, so I bought kawasaki 650 prairie, a ling hai something 350 maybe? Dunno, definitely Chinese and the go kart. Something is always messing up. The carb is leaking gas on the 650, the clutch doesn't work on the Chinese mess and now my kart won't start!
Your putting out some mysteries but not many clues.
Which one of these is the problem and is that the picture showing?
Green wire and red wire hanging? That's a problem.

I agree with Jamyers, the bit of photo looks like Chinese.
What brand?
What engine size?

Often the green is a ground connected to one of CVT case bolts, sometimes a valve cover bolt, needs to be clean, yours looks rusted.
Often the red wire goes from rr to battery and from battery to key switch.

1. More-better photos.
2. Check CVT case bolts and valve cover bolts for a broken off wire terminal
3. Physically track the hanging wires to the other ends.
4. Reply back