Will this be worth it?

Rat

Reaction score
Are they 3/4 bearings and you have a 5/8 axle? Grinding the welded washer off the axle If/when you do get the correct hub tires will leave a big groove in the axle on both sides making It weaker. Measure the axle size and start tire searching.. 5/8 tractor wheels are all over junkyards..
The wheel bearings I saw (post #32) looked 5/8" bore flanged like you'd use for a wheel barrow, lawn tactor front wheels or a hollow hub trike axle, which typically has a 1"od. He said the bearings were to big for the axle, which would indicate a 1/2" axle.
Pretty typical of a power wheels, but fast to bend when hit with more than maybe 100w electric motor so I'm cringing at this hard headed kid as I sit here thinking how fast a 6hp gas engine is going to rip the whole thing apart in less than a full blip of the throttle.

I outlined the best and safest way to go about what he's trying to do in another post on the same project. He doesn't seem to have caught on that he is threatening his own life by going against the given advice.

There are some stupid things that can be avoided, they are often the very same one doesn't walk away from (or walk ever again) when they chose not to listen and avoid the mistakes being made.

pearl111

Reaction score
Hey 12348910, how old is your uncle?
How about asking your uncle to come and look at your racing project. And ask him if you were ready to run your race now, would your kart be safe enough to finish the race safely.

Rat

Reaction score
How about asking your uncle to come and look at your racing project. And ask him if you were ready to run your race now, would your kart be safe enough to finish the race safely.
At this rate it's not even safe to pull the damn cord 🤣 He's got a better chance of getting dick punched by that 36lb engine coming off than actually starting it

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I have wasted a lot of cash on projects before the factory shut down. It was only right at the end when they shut down did I start to do stuff right. 13 and super ambitious.. Mow yards after school or of it’s snowing grab a shovel. Can make enough cash for a marketplace deal and parts to make it work. I had a beautiful cr125 and a ton of the parts on that thing we’re bought from cash I earned shoveling snow. This older man gave me $80 for his whole driveway right up to the garage doors. Easy money! Move on to the next house.

Rat

Reaction score
I had a beautiful cr125 and a ton of the parts on that thing we’re bought from cash I earned shoveling snow.
I miss my 1970 SL175-K0, and not a day goes by without regret and hellish resentment towards the one I let talk me into selling it. Next time the power can just get shut off and SHE can be sold instead

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I miss my 1970 SL175-K0, and not a day goes by without regret and hellish resentment towards the one I let talk me into selling it. Next time the power can just get shut off and SHE can be sold instead
Not to de-rail the thread but that factory shutting down ruined so many lives.. I could actually afford nice things.. I miss this bike i guess but I don’t have sellers remorse.. At most I’ll get a better paying job save every cent starve ect.. and buy another one to fix up like I did this one. Just won’t be pullin in checks from the factory to pay for it all..B9C5738F-8BB8-478C-BF80-6A22AB26170A.jpeg

Reaction score
I have wasted a lot of cash on projects before the factory shut down. It was only right at the end when they shut down did I start to do stuff right. 13 and super ambitious.. Mow yards after school or of it’s snowing grab a shovel. Can make enough cash for a marketplace deal and parts to make it work. I had a beautiful cr125 and a ton of the parts on that thing we’re bought from cash I earned shoveling snow. This older man gave me $80 for his whole driveway right up to the garage doors. Easy money! Move on to the next house.
I have been mowing yards for 3 years now. The first two years I mowed grass for my grandmas friends mom but she moved to a senior living home. this year I mowed 5 yards a week ranging from $25-$40 a yard. But I am saving my money for when I’m 16 to buy my dream truck (1997 Chevy Silverado). If I really need to I can possibly spend some more money but I don’t want to put hundreds of dollars into this build if when I’m done I don't get anything for it. And I don’t want to keep buying parts if they aren’t going to work like my idea for the wheels.

Reaction score
He is in his 30s and he would probably say it would be a little risky but should work. You would have to meet my family and you would understand we aren’t scared to get hurt messing around just as long as we have fun. We both have done some very dangerous stuff but you guys do have good advice for doing Stuff correctly and safely. I also can’t spend a lot of money because I’m only 13 so my parents would have to order it/take me to the store only if they ok it first.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Same thing I was young and had to have my pops approve/pay for everything.. I’m just trying to think really far ahead what if you got a cheap kart frame?? You welded washers to the rims after removing the bearings.. Now if a kart frame does show up you cannot put the bearings back in those wheels put them on the front and tighten the nut down. Your now spending money and hunting for 5/8 rims/tires to replace the ones that have welded washers to them..

Reaction score
Same thing I was young and had to have my pops approve/pay for everything.. I’m just trying to think really far ahead what if you got a cheap kart frame?? You welded washers to the rims after removing the bearings.. Now if a kart frame does show up you cannot put the bearings back in those wheels put them on the front and tighten the nut down. Your now spending money and hunting for 5/8 rims/tires to replace the ones that have welded washers to them..
I understand what your saying but if I do have to change things I would most likely use a small atv frame. And one of use may be a little confused about mounting the wheels. I can try to draw a picture later to explain better but im in class right now

Rat

Reaction score
He is in his 30s and he would probably say it would be a little risky but should work. You would have to meet my family and you would understand we aren’t scared to get hurt messing around just as long as we have fun.
There is a huge difference between not being scared, and just not taking ridiculously unnecessary risks.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
As a 57 year old man I can tell you one day you will care if you get hurt. By then it’s too late. Take care of your body now. Broken neck, back, wrists, fingers, arms, legs and ankles and toes. The arthritis, rheumatism, brucitis make to all but impossible to get out of bed. And it’s not getting any easier!

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Your school have a pin up board?? Grab a bigger piece of paper and make a want to buy (JUNK) gokarts/minibikes ad and pin it up. If they don’t have a pinboard tape the ad to the wall... Bunch of people all of a sudden telling you about the kart frame in there backyard you can snag cheap. Just a thought. And also spending even 400$-500$ now will be super worth it. I’m maybe $500 into each kart maybe more? Once I knew what I was building was worth it the money was not even a concern.. I knew how much fun I would have racing around the country with my pops. Any one on this forum over the age of 20yo will tell you on your 20th birthday you’ll look back and ask yourself is spending 400$ of yard work money on a bada** gokart when you were 13 was worth it or not. Spoiler alert! it was so worth it.. EAEF9695-0DC2-43FC-974A-7CF3179F29DB.png5A204427-CDBB-46A4-A220-FE0D02B839D2.png

Reaction score
Your school have a pin up board?? Grab a bigger piece of paper and make a want to buy (JUNK) gokarts/minibikes ad and pin it up. If they don’t have a pinboard tape the ad to the wall... Bunch of people all of a sudden telling you about the kart frame in there backyard you can snag cheap. Just a thought. And also spending even 400$-500$ now will be super worth it. I’m maybe $500 into each kart maybe more? Once I knew what I was building was worth it the money was not even a concern.. I knew how much fun I would have racing around the country with my pops. Any one on this forum over the age of 20yo will tell you on your 20th birthday you’ll look back and ask yourself is spending 400$ of yard work money on a bada** gokart when you were 13 was worth it or not. Spoiler alert! it was so worth it.. View attachment 143887View attachment 143888
My school isn’t like That. It’s in the city and there isn’t really anyone interested in that kind of stuff. I have asked some of my friends if they have any or if they know anyone. But when I finally find some it’s either too expensive or Too far away or missing lots of parts. Even if there is a good deal I find, I have to ask my parents and they don't want me to spend a lot or have to drive too far or they are just busy. I also need a place to put my projects like that. I Have gotten a few lawnmowers and weed whack ears for cheap or free to fix up but I need to keep them out in the back yard because we have lots of stuff Like cars Trucks atvs camper boat kayaks zero turn and more. I also have to put a certain amount of my money in the bank until I’m 18 so even if I made a random amount like $500 cutting grass I really only made $200 since I can’t spend it all and that’s only if my parents ok it. But I wish it was as easy as you explained to just spend some money to buy a better quality frame

pearl111

Reaction score
My school isn’t like That. It’s in the city and there isn’t really anyone interested in that kind of stuff. I have asked some of my friends if they have any or if they know anyone. But when I finally find some it’s either too expensive or Too far away or missing lots of parts. Even if there is a good deal I find, I have to ask my parents and they don't want me to spend a lot or have to drive too far or they are just busy. I also need a place to put my projects like that. I Have gotten a few lawnmowers and weed whack ears for cheap or free to fix up but I need to keep them out in the back yard because we have lots of stuff Like cars Trucks atvs camper boat kayaks zero turn and more. I also have to put a certain amount of my money in the bank until I’m 18 so even if I made a random amount like $500 cutting grass I really only made $200 since I can’t spend it all and that’s only if my parents ok it. But I wish it was as easy as you explained to just spend some money to buy a better quality frame
Just hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. Things will work out, maybe not as fast as you want but they will.
I've been through the same thing in my younger years, and I'm sure many here at DIY have also.
Most importantly listen to what the experts and others say who know what they are doing when it comes to working on karts... motors
and such. You'll go..... further......faster......safer.

Rat

Reaction score
I also have to put a certain amount of my money in the bank until I’m 18 so even if I made a random amount like $500 cutting grass I really only made $200 since I can’t spend it all and that’s only if my parents ok it.
I can assure you it never gets any easier at 20,30, 40, or for that matter at any "Adult" age because instead of needing to have parents approve a purchase it's more like "Are the bills paid and groceries and other life necessities gotten?"

Then you can responsibly decide if you can afford to build fancy toys.

Attachments

• d58c038e2067875ab80edaf37e50e46b.jpg
    d58c038e2067875ab80edaf37e50e46b.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 10

Reaction score
I have finally got to building today :wai: or maybe I should say disassembling. My teacher said we will mount it off of the back with some scrap metal. I only have about 45 minutes per class so I don’t get to to work on it for a long time each day 20231205_092910.jpg

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
There's a problem with that.
SUSPENSION
You might get away with putting the engine way up there like that IF you use a spring loaded chain tensioner to take up the slack of the compressed shocks.

TBH you'd be better off without the suspension and making a small chassis with the engine tucked under the body on it even if you just cut up a bed frame to make it.

I see nothing but headaches and catastrophic engineering failures in your not too distant future.