Why is it so $&@“ hard for someone to build a reliable cheap gearbox

Kristopherjh83

Reaction score
Whoever comes up with a 1”input f/n/r gearbox that can handle decent hp and be worth a damn will be America’s next millionaire. After All this time really? No one

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
That's the thing; 3D Motorsports went bankrupt just building a manual kart clutch. Luckily they got bought out recently, but it takes a surprising amount of development for manufacturing, and the market is actually a lot smaller than you'd think.

Reaction score
That's the thing; 3D Motorsports went bankrupt just building a manual kart clutch. Luckily they got bought out recently, but it takes a surprising amount of development for manufacturing, and the market is actually a lot smaller than you'd think.
Agreed anyone can make a decent gearbox if they have money but producing one commercially for this application is likely not profitable unless you have lots of buyers already lined up.

Kristopherjh83

Reaction score
You can get one for 212cc. they got the Chinese ones and I believe those motors can be 250cc. Oh and they do have a series 30 gearbox. Trying to find one for gx390’s and up. I would think the market would be decent tho. Fb is full of half built carts ppl attempted and gave up or various builds. A lot of them are things like golf carts turned to gas and then they realize no reverse( been there but it was still awesome) ppl might not give up on projects with an easy solution. There are solutions but I grow weary of having to buy used junk just to rip it apart for one piece and then have the rest sit out in the yard making the wife one step closer to premeditated murder.

I’d love to have a manual set up. That’d be sweet. I’m gonna have to look them up

Seems like Vegas carts or a place like that could sell them since they already have the kits for golf carts

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Oh you're thinking of torque converters. We're talking about shiftable geared transmissions like a motorcycle or stick shift car.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
f'n'r gearboxes are availbale for gx390 powered karts
not even that difficult to find frankly..
ebay.com/itm/313268612822
good for 13horses.. (a gx390 for example) done!

shiftable transmission is way harder..
in fact it's the case that's difficult..
salvaging a transmission from a motorcycle is trivial.. putting it in a box to mount on a kart is not
(and frankly there's no reason either.. a 400ccc motorcycle engine will outperform an industrial 420 any time,
and it comes packed with the gearbox in a not much larger formfactor anyways.. soooo why bother?)

'sid

vpd66

Reaction score
Look for a gearbox from a Polaris 4 wheeler. They are about has small has your going to find that will hold up to the horsepower your talking about. Some are FNR and some are HLNR. I believe the 4x4 models had the low gear. They also have an external disc brake on the output shaft.

Kristopherjh83

Reaction score
Look for a gearbox from a Polaris 4 wheeler. They are about has small has your going to find that will hold up to the horsepower your talking about. Some are FNR and some are HLNR. I believe the 4x4 models had the low gear. They also have an external disc brake on the output shaft.
Thank you for the heads up. I’m trying to replace the one on my manco deuce. It has a differential with f/n/r. It’d be cool to have high and low.

salvaging a transmission from a motorcycle is trivial.. putting it in a box to mount on a kart is not
(and frankly there's no reason either.. a 400ccc motorcycle engine will outperform an industrial 420 any time,
and it comes packed with the gearbox in a not much larger formfactor anyways.. soooo why bother?)

'sid
Thank you for the reply. I’m wanting one for manco deuce. Reverse is stripped and even tho it has a differential it doesn’t turn very good. I gotta work on the steering anyway. Alignment is way off. Someone rigged up the tie rods. That’s np tho I’ll make some. I’m seriously thinking of going the route of atv engine on this build. Thx for the link also. I’ll check it out. Idk why I wasn’t really having good luck finding them. Thinking of going live axle too. I’m trail riding mostly and if I have reverse the bigger turn radius shouldn’t matter as much. More horsepower helps turn radius too lol

'sid
Modded gx 390 also. Not stock. No fun in that