Who can build a performance Briggs near Pittsburgh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Just looking for a shop who will tweak out our 5hp briggs. Not looking to go loud and methanol, but want to wake it up some.

Thank you.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
It's easy to do it yourself. If a 14 year old can do it, you definitely can.

"Bolt ons" are also... easy ways to modify.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
um if your not comfortable doing it yourself i can try to explane it to you. its not that hard ive never full blown moded one of these but i read alot of crap.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Just ship it to someone if you want it full blown :p

It's honestly very easy. If I lived near you, I would explain it to ya.

Very straightfoward in these engines.

EagleTalons

Master JB Welder
Reaction score
Personally I'd work on your own engine. It's a rewarding experience when you can say...I built that. If it flys apart...deny everything.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
You mean there's a guide of some kind? I know my way around the wrenches, but I'd thought it would be something better left to someone who can machine the parts.
It's a briggs 5hp horizontal "fun power".
what do you got?

anderkart

Reaction score
If you havent done this search already, you might find a nearby Briggs racing motor builder in this search link:
http://www.google.com/search?source...US222&q=briggs+and+stratton+racing+Pittsburgh

For the same (or less) amount of money you'll likely spend, I'd consider buying one of these 8 h/p Briggs motors instead of building yours:
http://www.google.com/search?source..._enUS221US222&q=briggs+and+stratton+Local+206
They're around $500, come set up for running on gas and seem to be beating a lot of modified Briggs flat head motors on oval kart race tracks around the country.

EagleTalons

Master JB Welder
Reaction score
Are you referring to the Briggs Animal? I'd get one of those 206's and build that up instead. As they have discontinued the flathead parts. The only way for Raptor parts to go...is up.

OHV is better. IMO.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Flathead parts are getting more scarce, as people start to get into Clones, Flathead parts a couple months ago were everywhere on eBay.

Guys like me however, who started with Clones to modify, got into flatheads, and then the parts started dissappearing little by little.

Personally, get nice used 94ss cam, port it yourself, clean the carbon off the valves, a loop (bugle) header, milled head (NOT a 4HP head, or one that says #10 on the head), new rings (hone the cylinder), a 3HP flywheel, coil adaptor bracket and a 3HP magnetron, advance the timing, performance air filter, shave the eyebrows...

Just that for a "mild" motor.

anderkart

Reaction score
Are you referring to the Briggs Animal? I'd get one of those 206's and build that up instead. As they have discontinued the flathead parts. The only way for Raptor parts to go...is up.

OHV is better. IMO.

I'd meant the Briggs Local 206 option motor. They're fully machined and assembled to be raced right out of the box while it seems the Animal motors are more intended to first be disassembled and blue printed before seriously raced.

The local 206 motor basicly is an Animal but with a diferent head gasket, a lower RPM rev limiter and a factory sealed lower end to help prevent cheating and speed up tech inspections in the (stock motor only) classes its raced.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Then just put in a nice used Raptor 3 rod. Good for 7000.

Never buy a used rod. In our blockzilla 3 we thought we bought a nice used Clemments Stroker crank but turns out it snapped in about 50 pass's. The seller of the crank couldnt tell us how many runs where on it, seasons ETC. Whenever somone is selling a used rod is because they dont trust it anymore themself.

Status
Not open for further replies.