Wheel/tire options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kainedogg

New member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,

my kart is a tad bit too low for the grass bashing I want to submit it too. What are my options for raising it up an inch or so? I am very new to the kart life but like what I have seen so far.
 

Attachments

  • 20160505_204039.jpg
    20160505_204039.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20160505_204756.jpg
    20160505_204756.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 15

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Messages
5,993
Reaction score
2,996
Location
Atlanta, GA
Bigger wheels will raise your kart. They will also affect your final drive ratio, so you may also need a slightly larger rear sprocket.
 

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Messages
619
Reaction score
5
Location
Hood River, OR, In a galaxy far far away
If you want to save the wheels for street/asphalt racing an get some yard wheels for grass, which I suggest, then all you need to do is find out what size your shaft is on all four tires (normally 1/2"-5/8ths"). Then go to gopowersports.com and buy a set of wheel assemblies.

Keep in mind the back wheels are probably live axle, so that's a different rim type.

That's what I would do. Changing the tires can be difficult.
 

Kainedogg

New member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
I will measure the rim today. Hey 01, what makes changing the tires difficult?
 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
60
Location
Dallas, TX
Completely unrelated to your post, but wow that exhaust is massive. You are losing out on exhaust velocity big time with such a large diameter exhaust. Are you also using a 4 to 1 collector tube at the end backwards?

You would get a lot more torque with an appropriate sized exhaust, and better scavenging as well.
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Completely unrelated to your post, but wow that exhaust is massive. You are losing out on exhaust velocity big time with such a large diameter exhaust. Are you also using a 4 to 1 collector tube at the end backwards?

You would get a lot more torque with an appropriate sized exhaust, and better scavenging as well.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the actual working header is hidden under that mess.
 

Kainedogg

New member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Completely unrelated to your post, but wow that exhaust is massive. You are losing out on exhaust velocity big time with such a large diameter exhaust. Are you also using a 4 to 1 collector tube at the end backwards?

You would get a lot more torque with an appropriate sized exhaust, and better scavenging as well.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the actual working header is hidden under that mess.

It is ugly and loud...and hot! I plan to buy a stock one off Ebay this evening, I promise you that. :furious2:
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Depends. Sometimes they're glued on, also, this rubber is really hard to bend off the rims. Hey, sometimes it's easy, though.

Last time I took two tires off rims, (one with tube, one without) it took three crowbars, 1 hour, and a busted lip.

Well....if you'd been nicer while I was trying to help....you could have avoided the busted lip....
 

Kainedogg

New member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
The rims are 5" 3 lugs in the rear. Circumference of the rear shaft if 5" and the diameter is 1.5" does this help any with my tire options?

What is a decent exhaust and clutch for yard running for extended periods through grass?

I rode around for a few minutes before the chain popped off and boy was that clutch housing hot.
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,430
Reaction score
385
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
After we settle on a tire diameter, we can discus re-gearing your kart...

How many teeth does your clutch and axle sprocket have now?


The rims are 5" 3 lugs in the rear.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any taller tires made to fit 5" diameter rims, but you could instal 13" or 15"-tall turf tires if you buy some 6"-wide X 6" diameter rims.


You'd probably find both of these turf tire sizes in stock at your local wallmart, or here's a couple links to them at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Lawn-Garden-Tractor-Tubeless-Replacement/dp/B0000AX5KA
http://www.amazon.com/15-6-00-4-Ply-Super-Turf/dp/B00BWWSWYG

I could help you find the correct 6" diameter rims, but first you'd need to accurately measure what bolt pattern you need using the info below:
 

Attachments

  • kart bolt pattern.jpg
    kart bolt pattern.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2

Kainedogg

New member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Useful info Ander, clearly you've been doing this for a while. I will post the numbers for the teeth this evening as well as the bolt pattern.
I was hoping to stay away from turf tires since that would be really hard on the grass and prevent the drifting I want to employ in the vet races.
 

Kainedogg

New member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Ander the sprocket is a 70 tooth split sprocket and the lug pattern seems to be roughly 2" apart. Hope that helps
 

number9

New member
Messages
86
Reaction score
4
Location
KY
I did this same thing with my race kart to raise it up a little. I went with:

Front
6x5 wheels
13x5-6 Kenda Super Turf tires

Rear
6x6.5 wheels
13x6.50-6 Carlisle Turf Master tires

Pics can be seen in my American Express #2 thread

...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top