What's the advantages and disadvantages of different types of sprockets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imjustjoshinnn

go fast go fast go fast
Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question but I'm curious. I have three different sprockets lying around that could fit my go kart. I'm not too knowledgeable of what kind of difference it would make to use a different sprocket than the one I've had since I bought my go kart. Some of the sprockets have more teeth and some have less and that's about all I know. If anyone could tell me the advantages and disadvantages of different kinds of sprockets that would be great.

(btw my go kart has a 212 predator with a stage 1 performance kit from gopowersports. It uses a torque converter. I'm not sure of the horsepower, but before the stage 1 kit it was around 6-6.5 horsepower.)

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
More sprocket teeth = better acceleration, lower top speed
Less sprocket teeth = less acceleration, higher top speed

Don't go with too few teeth, or your clutch will die.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
More sprocket teeth = better acceleration, lower top speed
Less sprocket teeth = less acceleration, higher top speed

Don't go with too few teeth, or your clutch will die.

While you are totally correct, it doesn't help someone who has no idea of what different gear ratios can do to a karts performance.

You cannot just go and put the smallest sprocket on and thing that you are now going to go seriously fast. You have to still have your gear ratio decent enough that the kart will still move.

As a vague rule of thumb, you want to start of with about a 6:1 gear ratio is you have rear wheels of about 13" diameter. That means your axle sprocket has 6 times the teeth of the clutch sprocket. The higher the gear ratio (lower the number), the more strain you put on the clutch and the more likely you are to have an under performing kart (Just think of trying to take off in your manual car when you are in 4th gear).

You also have to make sure that any sprockets you might use are the same type as the clutch sprocket. There are several different types depending on the distance between the tooth tips and the diameter of the sprocket.

There is a lot of info that i have left out, but you should be able to do a quick search on the forum and find everything you need

There is also a lot of info in this thread

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10036

imjustjoshinnn

go fast go fast go fast
Reaction score
While you are totally correct, it doesn't help someone who has no idea of what different gear ratios can do to a karts performance.

You cannot just go and put the smallest sprocket on and thing that you are now going to go seriously fast. You have to still have your gear ratio decent enough that the kart will still move.

As a vague rule of thumb, you want to start of with about a 6:1 gear ratio is you have rear wheels of about 13" diameter. That means your axle sprocket has 6 times the teeth of the clutch sprocket. The higher the gear ratio (lower the number), the more strain you put on the clutch and the more likely you are to have an under performing kart (Just think of trying to take off in your manual car when you are in 4th gear).

You also have to make sure that any sprockets you might use are the same type as the clutch sprocket. There are several different types depending on the distance between the tooth tips and the diameter of the sprocket.

There is a lot of info that i have left out, but you should be able to do a quick search on the forum and find everything you need

There is also a lot of info in this thread

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10036
Thank you. Your explanation is very helpful and thank you for the resources!

Status
Not open for further replies.