What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
i have a majorly serious question....let the suspense build....ok... i have a 5 hp briggs engine it is dead. would you A) rebuild the 5 hp briggs and take governor of, new air filter, and straight pipe. OR B) just get a 6.5 honda clone, get air filter straight pipe, take off gov. and replace vvalve springs. obviously the honda clone thing is more expensive but is it worth it. with the power gain be worth the money starting with more hp. or should simplicity be the key with the briggs engine. i want experiences and or pics and testamonies. Please help.:toetap05:

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
well if you got the time i would go with the rebuild would be alot faster build it how you wanted.or get the kart going and put the 6.5 in.thats just my 2 cents.....

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
but i want the most BANG for the buck. but you make be rite, the rebuild make by the cheapest and best way. i know briggs got a kick to it but i also know honda clones can also have a kick to it when modified. more responses please.

speedy_moe

Reaction score
I would break it down into 2 parts
Part 1 how much would it cost per horse power
Part 2 see how much it cost per RPM

after you do that then see if it worth the extra money to upgrade or keep rebuild the current engine

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Honda Clones can product 26+ HP from 6.5HP stock with many mods. Honest. Briggs also has many though... aluminum flywheel, slotted head, Raptor coil, billet rod, oversize this and that...

What's wrong with the Briggs anyways?

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
the briggs is dead. no compression, no spark, there was also a totally crushed peice or peices of metal in the crankcase...it's a sad story...one moment...ok but with the honda clone mods they don't tell you the approx. hp/torque gain. so i am not really sold on it. honda clone mods are in the $1000's at affordablegokarts.com i don't have that and i aint goin to spend it on that. i do have a torque converter and it does multiply the useable hp. i had a 5hp briggs and it multiplied that to something like 13 hp. but i want more for less

2or3wheels

Reaction score
a rebuilt 5 hp briggs will feel like alot more than before, if you bore out the cylinder and hone it nice with a new pistion and rings that alone will make your motor feel much more alive. With a straight exhaust and good air filter you will be on easy street. What is this going on?

oscaryu1

Reaction score
the briggs is dead. no compression, no spark, there was also a totally crushed peice or peices of metal in the crankcase...it's a sad story...one moment...ok but with the honda clone mods they don't tell you the approx. hp/torque gain. so i am not really sold on it. honda clone mods are in the $1000's at affordablegokarts.com i don't have that and i aint goin to spend it on that. i do have a torque converter and it does multiply the useable hp. i had a 5hp briggs and it multiplied that to something like 13 hp. but i want more for less

www.nr-racing.com

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
well if you want to get rid of the b&s motor ill take it off your hands like to get hold of a motor that need to be rebuild.

Coolrider

Reaction score
Where is the best place to find the Briggs modified parts? like cams and valve train stuff?

Jblankster

Reaction score
best bang for your buck. briggs all the way. there are SO many parts for them you just cant go wrong. the clone partts are expensive and hard to come by. and with the briggs (if its a flat head like i think it is) you dont risk hitting your valves onto your piston if you over rev.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
best bang for your buck. briggs all the way. there are SO many parts for them you just cant go wrong. the clone partts are expensive and hard to come by. and with the briggs (if its a flat head like i think it is) you dont risk hitting your valves onto your piston if you over rev.

With all the mods given, you can hit 8-9k RPM fine. Can a flathead do that? And you can't compare parts with engines that are completely different...

I have had many Briggs, and they are great engines! But I prefer Honda + Clones, as their simplicity and durability is amazing.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Yeah you can hit 9k RPM's BUT not everyone is able to spend 800 dollars to do so.Just rebuild the briggs,bore it out,shave the head a bit, port and polish intake,maybe mount on a mikuni,and a higher perf. header.the only time i would use a honda clone is if i wasnt going to remove gov. and such i simply dont trust the cheap parts they are made with.

Jblankster

Reaction score
the record was i think 12k rpms on a racing kart. yes they 5hp flat heads are out dated, and the raptor/world formula series and similar (the Honda's and stuff, not the knock offs) are GREAT engines, and will decimate all 5hp flattys no question. but the knock offs themselves are what i don't like, in box stock form yes their great. but modifides with stock internals and/or stock flywheel can be dangerous.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
the record was i think 12k rpms on a racing kart. yes they 5hp flat heads are out dated, and the raptor/world formula series and similar (the Honda's and stuff, not the knock offs) are GREAT engines, and will decimate all 5hp flattys no question. but the knock offs themselves are what i don't like, in box stock form yes their great. but modifides with stock internals and/or stock flywheel can be dangerous.

So you're saying that a stock 5HP Briggs can run 8-9k RPM with a stock flywheel and internal. :toetap05:

2or3wheels

Reaction score
he never said that a stock clone and briggs could each hit 5k, the briggs would be ok as long at it was not continuous for more that a min. The clones have been know to have flywheel fly apart and or have connecting rod break. With overhead valves it they float the will hit piston. I like the old briggs because they are simple and last a longggg time. plus you can get them for cheap. like 40 bucks if your good like me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.