What type of welder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
hum.. thats a new one to me all take electricity that i know of.unless your talking about JB weld that you mix together. but i wouldnt use that to weld.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I think you're looking for Oxy-Acetyline. I think that's how it's spelled.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Well... dad's afraid I will blow a fuse like I did last week (15A just wasn't enough :()

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Are you talking about you fuse box on you house if you are than you need to watch out how many things you are running off that one breaker.
If you got any room in the box have your dad run a new fuse and wire for just the welder and you will never have a problem you can do this around 25.00 depends on the length of the run . Make sure you ask the hardware store guy about the wire you use. Home Depot has a sale on the wiring right now.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
yes what is that called, it seems like if you get the tanks it easy to weld, electricity and can be used anywhere (as long as you have spark).

Well you also have to make sure that the wiring can handle the amperage and blah blah blah.

I had to install some 10/2 to run from my breaker box to the Garage so I could weld along with a 30Amp breaker.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Are you talking about you fuse box on you house if you are than you need to watch out how many things you are running off that one breaker.
If you got any room in the box have your dad run a new fuse and wire for just the welder and you will never have a problem you can do this around 25.00 depends on the length of the run . Make sure you ask the hardware store guy about the wire you use. Home Depot has a sale on the wiring right now.

Oops, I just noticed I have a breaker system... And I do use alotta stuff in one outlet. Gonna have to shut them down then...

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
hey oscary i just ordered a new snap-on mig 135 gas welder. if you want a cheap little starter welder i got a red machine 80 amp welder dose not take gas will give you a roll of flex wire with it and some other ends too. give me 60.00 for it and pay what ever the shipping is and ill sell it to you to help you get started if you like.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'ma browse around for some more welders. I finally found a room with its personal breaker that we don't really use :)

But if I can't find a good deal, you'll be first on my "to buy list" :p

ryf

Reaction score
check out these refurbed walmart type welders (Campbell Haus) might save a few bucks depending on shipping

http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/s...angId=-1&categoryId=10682&cg1=10681&cg2=&cg3=

I had the HF welder 90amp flux only, it was alright, I replaced it with a used unit that did gas that came along. you need to make sure you stick to the duty cycle, they have no fan so you CAN destroy the transformer(the buzz box) if you overheat it too much or too often. opening up the side and putting a fan on it will decrease the amount of time it takes to cool off, but the transformers core(s) can still be very hot, so be responsible.

(this is for all welders in your price range of "cheap") Sticking to making one part at a time construction (make it, tack it, make next tack it) it should be fine, but with any "inexpensive" (IMO sub $700) welder, you can't ever just spend a day welding something up... weld for a bit, then take a break or grind some welds.. follow the duty cycle its intended to be used at they last alot longer you can pretty well bet, if its 110 volt, it probably won't due better than a 20% duty cycle.

HF oxy kit is $140 right now

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92496

Mig is easier and cheaper and faster to do a whole project usually, theres no waiting for it to heat up, etc. not to mention the cost of gases these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.