What to do with engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
I have a little 3HP predator 79cc. It has a really nice clutch and it only has a few hours on it. What should I do with it. I will make a throttle cable thing if I need too.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Maybe a motorized razor type scooter? Should have enough zip for most people.

I mean I also have an razor e-scooter but i was probably just going to do the easy thing and give it new batteries for 40$.

Motorized bicycles

Oh...that might be fun and there are already kits made....I might consider that.

FYI: None of this stuff will be now-now projects, just things I could do over the summer or atleast when it warms up.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
FYI: None of this stuff will be now-now projects, just things I could do over the summer or atleast when it warms up.

Yeah, I also want to convert my bike to an electric bicycle, but that's not a 'now-now' project :p

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
When I was still extremely ignorant in the ways of karting, I thought I could do an easy conversion from a Radio Flyer wagon or connect two bicycle frames together.
Now I realize what terrible ideas I had. :D
Seriously, for my wagon idea, I thought I would just use the existing handle to steer and make it pedal powered.
I'm really glad I didn't do either idea.

txluke

Reaction score
I have the same engine new in a box. I was trying to figure out what to do with it. I have an old 3 wheel bicycle in the barn that I keep looking at. It has a 3 speed transmission and no brakes. Sounds like my kind of fun.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
When I was still extremely ignorant in the ways of karting, I thought I could do an easy conversion from a Radio Flyer wagon or connect two bicycle frames together.
Seriously, for my wagon idea, I thought I would just use the existing handle to steer and make it pedal powered.

When I was too I thought I could put a Predator 79cc on a Chinese go kart 2 stroke frame. It worked....kinda. It threw chains like crazy, and clutch slipped like **** and it didn't stop very well.

Nosandwich

The REAL Poboy
Reaction score

When I was a young, poor kid, I came across a small B&S horizontal shaft engine. I wound up finding a sprocket that fit it. Somehow, I wound up with a drive wheel. I made a chain to fit without a master link or any specialized tools. I fabricated a wooden platform with 2x4's and plywood that I drilled to attach to the back axle of the Radio Flyer and a bolt for the drive wheel (think swing arm).

I put a rubber band on the carburetor which held the throttle wide open and attached a cord to pull the throttle closed, (the ultimate reverse dead man switch). Since there was no clutch, you had to start the engine with the drive wheel slightly off the ground, and as far as I can remember, I always had another person help me with that.

Well, nothing bad happened, but I can tell you that was one of the hairiest things I ever operated ( probably tied with a 15hp outboard on a 5hp rated 10' jon boat). Both got extremely hard to control long before top speed.

Needless to say, I don't reccomend either one!!!!

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
When I was a young, poor kid, I came across a small B&S horizontal shaft engine. I wound up finding a sprocket that fit it. Somehow, I wound up with a drive wheel. I made a chain to fit without a master link or any specialized tools. I fabricated a wooden platform with 2x4's and plywood that I drilled to attach to the back axle of the Radio Flyer and a bolt for the drive wheel (think swing arm).

I put a rubber band on the carburetor which held the throttle wide open and attached a cord to pull the throttle closed, (the ultimate reverse dead man switch). Since there was no clutch, you had to start the engine with the drive wheel slightly off the ground, and as far as I can remember, I always had another person help me with that.

Now that's resourcefulness. If lacking common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.