What lube in a streaker differential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWes

Reaction score
Title says it all...I would assume some sort of wheel bearing grease since there's no way to service it without taking it apart.

Anyone?

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
You mean a streaker kart?
I didn't even know some HAD diffs.
The Peerless 100 website just says 'grease'. Not too helpful.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
You mean a streaker kart?
I didn't even know some HAD diffs.
The Peerless 100 website just says 'grease'. Not too helpful.

If it says just grease, I assume standard brake grease or machine grease will do. It's not like a motor where it needs a specific oil for load, temperature, and design reasons.

BigWes

Reaction score
As I was cleaning it out it looked like plain old bearing grease to me. Just water contaminated and old. Nothing special so that's what's going back in...all this for a brake replacement...

BigWes

Reaction score
I will later, I did take some. I need to get this hunk of junk out of the garage before my wife gets ****ed and I'm tired of messing with it already, doesn't help my stomach is bothering me today and I can't get anything done.

BigWes

Reaction score
A few pics, if I can get it to work from the cell phone.

I'm not doing a refurbish here. Just trying to get the brakes going. Rebuild will come later...as will the paint job.

IMG_20190323_175803573.jpg

IMG_20190323_175819371.jpg

IMG_20190323_184143714.jpg

IMG_20190323_213908458.jpg

IMG_20190323_204652784.jpg

mckutzy

Reaction score
Ahh yes.... I see why you didnt want to "just move over the disc" to dismount the caliper...
Disc is frozen on with rust...... probably would've broke the diff if you had tried to move it...
Well at least you have one thing off the list for maintenance....
Mind you it would have been easier to do a disc sanding while it was off the kart... but hey its going good..

BigWes

Reaction score
Yea, that axle is gonna need a machine shop with a 100 ton press for sure. And when I do break it down everything is getting replaced. I did hit the rotors with a wire wheel even though you can't tell it. Thing is they work great. Way better than I would have guessed. That raggedy hunk of junk drives and rides good by the way. It is begging for repairs and upgrades and it shall have them! Those front tires and that raggedy Lifan engine are a must go for the garbage list!!!

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Yea, that axle is gonna need a machine shop with a 100 ton press for sure. And when I do break it down everything is getting replaced. I did hit the rotors with a wire wheel even though you can't tell it. Thing is they work great. Way better than I would have guessed. That raggedy hunk of junk drives and rides good by the way. It is begging for repairs and upgrades and it shall have them! Those front tires and that raggedy Lifan engine are a must go for the garbage list!!!

BTW you don't have a Peerless 100. You have a Comet SCD-1. It states it takes Bison 1650 grease.

BigWes

Reaction score
BTW you don't have a Peerless 100. You have a Comet SCD-1. It states it takes Bison 1650 grease.

Thanks. Now that I know what it is I might be able to put the stated lube back into it the next time it gets torn down. For now it has Green Grease waterproof gear lube in it. It's what I had laying around at the time and for now it will have to do.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Thanks. Now that I know what it is I might be able to put the stated lube back into it the next time it gets torn down. For now it has Green Grease waterproof gear lube in it. It's what I had laying around at the time and for now it will have to do.

Well whatever you put in there, if it can lubricate some o-rings and prevent metal-on-metal contact, you are good to go! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.