Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtrider69

Reaction score
i dont know what it is or what it does

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
That, my friend, is the crankcase breather hose which is connected to crankcase breather. Blowby from combustion chamber enters crankcase (past rings/valve guides) and pulled out of crankcase by partial vacuum in carb via this hose and is then re-burned. This system actually adds to combustion chamber deposits (carbon build-up).
This hose was added sometime in the '60's and before that crankcase gases were just dumped into atmosphere.
If you were to look behind breather you will find valve springs and tappets and a hole which leads to crankcase/oil sump. Equivalent to a pcv valve found in a car engine.

Last edited:

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yeah so basically your crankcase air and vapours and everything get burnt. On some engines they preffer to collect it in a tank. And if you had a heat proof devise so it wouldnt melt the rubber hose you couldnt even burn it like on a dragster.

dirtrider69

Reaction score
wow thanks guys i was clue less to what it did and i ran my go cart for a while with out it because it fell off and i thought i did something to the motor.....thanks again

gustopf

maniac
Reaction score
thats a 135 series :) same as my cart, mine fell off a while ag since the rubber 90s dry rotted, i didnt think it would matter any, but now i am having problems with my carb, so first thing ill do is put another one on and see if it helps.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
No biggie if hose is off. Might actually reduce coking in combustion chamber over the long term.
Just make sure that connection at carb is capped off to prevent unfiltered air:poop: from entering engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.