What have we got here??? Seriously, what are these things?!

his.dadliness

Reaction score
I know they're engines, just in case any of you have my sense of humor :p Both of these were included with the kart frame I recently picked up for my kids (or mostly myself, if we're being honest here). Sounded like the guy and his son had planned to make something and never got around to it before interest waned or went otherwise. All the information he gave me was "You'll like'em. Figure it out." So, here's me trying to figure it out!

The one with the exhaust pipe is a Briggs & Stratton...seems to be one of their racing engine line; but don't know which, or even if that's right. We ran rotor tiller engines or what we could make work when I was a kid. The red one... I've not a clue. Looks a bit like a B&S 550 Series, from what I've found.

I'm attaching pictures of each, with and without heat shields and flywheel covers. If anyone could help me along, so I can get a better idea of which to tinker on and make go, and which one to potentially part out, I would be appreciative!

20201022_173942.jpg20201022_173931.jpg20201022_174714.jpg20201022_173001_HDR.jpg20201022_173026.jpg20201022_173102.jpg
20201022_174003.jpg

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea what the red one might be. It looks like a higher performance racing engine maybe??? I would work on the Briggs, as it would probably be a better fit especially if your kids are going to be riding it

Some more knowledgeable people will come and help you soon :D

karl

Reaction score
The red one is a tecumseh ohh50 or 60.

A billet rod and cam exists for them, but not much in the way of aftermarket support, definitely not like the predator/ gx200 style motors.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yep, as Karl said the red/orangish one is a Tecumseh, but the other one is a Briggs, but definitely not the racing Animal model. Looks like a fairly run of the mill generator type engine, complete with cast iron flywheel and governator.

his.dadliness

Reaction score
I have no idea what the red one might be. It looks like a higher performance racing engine maybe??? I would work on the Briggs, as it would probably be a better fit especially if your kids are going to be riding it

Some more knowledgeable people will come and help you soon :D
Thanks!

his.dadliness

Reaction score
Yep, as Karl said the red/orangish one is a Tecumseh, but the other one is a Briggs, but definitely not the racing Animal model. Looks like a fairly run of the mill generator type engine, complete with cast iron flywheel and governator.
Cool. Thanks for the help, folks. The Tecumseh seems the more complete of the two, so it'll likely get the most attention.

How would one figure out what model is the B&S? There don't seem to be any numbers or indicators on it.

his.dadliness

Reaction score
You can see it in pic #5, its on the side of valve cover, carb side. model, type, code stamped into it.
Great! Thanks, Karl. I'll check later, and see what I can come up with.
You can see it in pic #5, its on the side of valve cover, carb side. model, type, code stamped into it.
Looks like it's a B&S 126416, which seems to be a utility engine like @JTSpeedDemon said. Maybe...5.5 horse. Parts look plentiful; but the Tecumseh seems like it has more oomph from researching. Thanks again, everyone, for your help!

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
I would advise using the Tecumseh with a governor (I don't see one) installed and functional. The OHH/5/5.5/6/6.5 were the least robust utility engines in that power range.

And I can say I've never seen automotive valve cover wing nuts on one until now.

his.dadliness

Reaction score
I would advise using the Tecumseh with a governor (I don't see one) installed and functional. The OHH/5/5.5/6/6.5 were the least robust utility engines in that power range.

And I can say I've never seen automotive valve cover wing nuts on one until now.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm still working getting together a parts list for what the Tecumseh needs. eBay looks to have the governor arm for cheap, but I need to remove the cover first to see if the gear is still in there.

I thought the wing nuts were a nice touch, myself. The guy it the motor came from is a big gear head and is always tinkering and detailing at something.