what engine? 4 stroke mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
4 stroke mower engines are a pain to convert to horizontal shaft (which you need to do to put it on a kart). You Need to make an oil dipper and fit it, turn the carb 90*(easier said than done on a briggs mower engine), redo the oil filler, make a mount ect ect. I've done it to a 4HP Briggs, if you don't have much confidence/experience then I wouldn't suggest doing it.

The Kind of Victa you should look for is a 2 stroke 125cc or 160cc full crank model. Easily identified by their round cylinder head(vs the square one on the power torque engine). You should be able to get one from the tip for either free or basically nothing (if you're paying more than $30 and it doesn't run, tell them to shove it).

The full crank Victa has a 0.5" threaded shaft, your options are either buying an adapter and centrifugal clutch(factor in at least $100 for this) or to make a pulley tensioner clutch for it, you should be able to do that for $50.

To convert a Victa to horizontal shaft, you rotate the carb 90* (piss easy, I'd recommend replacing it if it's a G4 though) and make a mount. Very easy.

I agree compared to others its cheap to repair them but when your a teenager with next to no income trying to get an engine running, $40 bucks is quite a large amount of money. Add in the possibility that he might be saving to buy a car and it really starts to become a pain. Either way the odds of getting a Victa that needs that much work is pretty slim.....They handle time well..... My example is that it could get me for 16metres of steel or so hahahaha

(Also if it needed boring out or honing it could cost more....For instance mine has a 20 thou oversize piston....Dunno how hard that would be to get.)

SexyVicta: Victa pistons are now about $40 over here too. They used to be $16 :( rings are less than $10 though and you can generally just use the old piston. You might not even need new rings, I've got a few Victas that are like new inside, they got thrown out because of blocked fuel lines. Also, Masports are super rare over here, I've only ever seen one, it had a 4HP tecumseh 2 stroke on it. I now own it. :D I'd really like to get my hands on an Iron horse engine..

20 thou oversize is pretty common on the older ones. The norm was to put a new oversized piston in every few years. 20 thou piston isn't any harder to get than any of the others.

Redsox: Briggs are really common here, I'd say probably 80% of new mowers sold here have a briggs on them. No one buys 2 stroke Victas anymore, they are priced way to high, they start at about $600, Hondas are even more. You can get a basic briggs mower for $250. Once upon a time, Victas pretty much out numbered everything 5 to 1. Briggs bought Victa a few years ago and have manage to feck everything up pretty nicely.

Thanks

Hayden

sexyvicta

Reaction score
yup briggs has ruined victa for ever. But victas are the only decent twostoke available now. You can also get masports fitted with a chinese clone of the suzuki 2 stroke but they are rubish.

suzuki/tecumseh/masport ironhorse are all out of production which is sad because they were probably better engines than the victa powertorque

edit: you could consider using a big old chainsaw. They come with clutch and can make decent power

jk95ht

Reaction score
you guys all have a valid point

so if a mower engine is too complicated, how much do yous think itd cost for a 6.5 clutch and sprocket?
i can get a 6.5 for $130 aud but the clutch etc would cost about $80......(is that an okay price?)
and bein a teenager no i dont hav much money, but considerin i got kikd out in january things are actually a bit easier......
and i just got my vice and some hose from my mothers council pick-up so thats useful.
my brother will give me $100 for the quad....
and i dont need the engine until the end of the yr once the karts done.
thanks for your input guys

sexyvicta

Reaction score
yeh i think you can get a new clutch to suit that type of engine for about $110 over here so $80au sounds about right

jk95ht

Reaction score
ok say if i spend the $200 on engine+clutch+chain wuld that be enough to drift or chuck burnouts at all?
i come from a family of revheads lol
itd be a 5.5-6.5 hp engine goin to a solid steel axle with 2 pocketbike wheels with slick racing tyres, disc brakes on rear and front left brake (to burnout).....
i spent about $200 on my gf for 1 yr so i thnk $200 on this aint that bad lol

redsox985

Reaction score
Hahaha I like your math. If you mod the engine, you may be able to but I think adding the F/L brake will enable you to do this.

sideways

Reaction score
If you wana do burnouts and stuff, get a motorbike engine. You should be able to find one for $200 with all the bits. Anything 110cc+ is fine. Just about any bike engine will kick a Clone/Victas arse though.

Here's a Victa kart drifting around, it's pretty low geared so the top speed probably wouldn't be more than 40km/h but that means it has the power to hold those slides. A clone geared like this would be much the same, just cost twice as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFzdCzTxKw

$130 is cheap for a clone, they're usually $250 or more over here in W.A.

Sexyvicta: Briggs should of stayed out of it hay, It was great when all the 4 stroke Victas had Hondas and the power torques were still really good quality and made in Australia. I think this says a lot about Briggs engines, even though Briggs own them, high spec 4 stroke Victas have Honda engines. :D

The Power torque is the only 2 stroke mower you can get here! :(

Thanks

Hayden

jk95ht

Reaction score
If you wana do burnouts and stuff, get a motorbike engine. You should be able to find one for $200 with all the bits. Anything 110cc+ is fine. Just about any bike engine will kick a Clone/Victas arse though.

Here's a Victa kart drifting around, it's pretty low geared so the top speed probably wouldn't be more than 40km/h but that means it has the power to hold those slides. A clone geared like this would be much the same, just cost twice as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFzdCzTxKw

$130 is cheap for a clone, they're usually $250 or more over here in W.A.

Sexyvicta: Briggs should of stayed out of it hay, It was great when all the 4 stroke Victas had Hondas and the power torques were still really good quality and made in Australia. I think this says a lot about Briggs engines, even though Briggs own them, high spec 4 stroke Victas have Honda engines. :D

The Power torque is the only 2 stroke mower you can get here! :(

Thanks

Hayden
ebay is a great thing lol
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Petrol-E...ing_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item35b20bda10
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Petrol-E...ing_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item35b20bda10
the pull start one is the one im lookin at $135 for a 5.5 or $145 for a 6.5..............

sideways

Reaction score

jk95ht

Reaction score

sexyvicta

Reaction score
yeh slideways i dont like the brigs takeover one bit

however word on the st is that the new briggs engines are superior to the honda stuff. Im a lawnmowing contractor and the brigs 850 on the victa 560 is now king. Better than the 190cc ohc honda sack of **** and a bit better than your old powertorque. However there will always be a place for the twostroke as not every lawn is flat!

i myself am awesome so i run old single speed victa 550s with home made PT engines. A 10 year old 550 is the best thing victas ever made. Has been downhill since they went to multi speed gearboxes and made in china engines

geting hard to find good 550 bodies tho and as time goes by so will gearboxes and front axles etc. Then i will buy a friggn 560

jk95ht

Reaction score
okay guys is $261 okayish? because by next week ill have $160 and the rest ill save up slowly, i dont need it until towards the end of the year.......
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230620387856&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140516580710&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
i dont like wasting money let alone nearly $300 (do yous think i culd get about $400 for a go kart that will drift and chuck burnouts?.... sometime this week i should be getting the bearings ill need for the axle..... im gunna start a build thread soon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.