what engine? 4 stroke mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk95ht

Reaction score
heres the deal, if my brother can find me an engine and bearings for the axle or give me $100 he gets my mini quad, so im trying to find out what engines i could use that are around $100.....
theres a newish mower out the back that died not long ago, its a 4 stroke..... would i b able to use that at all?
the axle im gunna use some round bar and make up some brackets for the wheels, brake disc and sprocket (about30mm thick)....
please comment as my brother is only here for 2 weeks then he goes back home......
thanks for readin, josh

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
might be able to use the mower engine but its probably vertical shaft. so youd first need to fix it, then find a right angle gearbox....

your from australia? get a victa.

sexyvicta

Reaction score
hey man theres lots of cheap old reel mowers around with horizontal shaft engines. 2 or 4 stroke. (i look at ausi ebay sometimes)

Also you could pick up a victa or masport 2 stroke rotary mower engine for cheap.

You could use a vertical shaft 4 stroke mower engine horizontaly (is that a word?). You just gota make some kind of oil slinger to suit + turn the carb and work out a couple other small problems

edit: in conclusion, head down to your local rubish dump shop with a few dollars in your pocket and you'll be able to find something which will work for scrap value.

jman231994

Reaction score
I think I've told you this before but i cant remember so here goes.

Victas are good if you have the money to buy the clutch adaptor for them and if you are willing to take the risk with it not working and costing quite a bit to fix. If you have access to a metal lathe you can potentially convert the blade boss into half of the clutch adaptor and make the other half on the lathe if you have the right tap.

A 4 stroke will be a pain to convert in comparison to a victa.....Spin the carb and your set. Not too sure about the Victa's power output but like everyone says they do seem to have some good low end torque and will almost mow through anything where a 4 stroke 5 horse will have stopped a good way back.

Ask Sideways for advice regarding one on a kart (or BrendonV if hes still around)

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Just make sure that the round bar that you use for the axle is strong enough. You don't want to leave pieces of yourself and your kart along the road when you are cruising at 20mph

sexyvicta

Reaction score
Victas are good if you have the money to buy the clutch adaptor for them and if you are willing to take the risk with it not working and costing quite a bit to fix.

it dont cost much to fix a victa...and parts are easy to get + cheap.

better than having something like a villiers or tecumseh where parts are scarce/non existant

edit: but a horizontal engine off a reel mower is your best bet for cheapness. And it will most probably come with a clutch aswel. + you wont have to do much to fit a better clutch when the reel mower one fails haha. In saying that most reel mower engines are only 2-4hp. Best bet for a cheap horizontal 4-6hp 4 stroke would be to find an old rotary hoe/water blaster/generator/pump or similar piece of equipment

jman231994

Reaction score
Usually parts are cheap but if he lives somewhere that doesnt have a mower shop nearby or a place where he cant get second hand parts it could be expensive....Or if his coils gone or needs a new piston....Not gonna be that cheap to replace if you can't get second hand parts.....In most cases though your right that its darn cheap and easy to get parts...Never really takes much to get a dead one going again anyway :p Got to love Victas

jk95ht

Reaction score
Usually parts are cheap but if he lives somewhere that doesnt have a mower shop nearby or a place where he cant get second hand parts it could be expensive....Or if his coils gone or needs a new piston....Not gonna be that cheap to replace if you can't get second hand parts.....In most cases though your right that its darn cheap and easy to get parts...Never really takes much to get a dead one going again anyway :p Got to love Victas

after school today ill get the brand and specs of the mower, i think its a cheapish brand (but the thing i like about it, the pull start is super easy to pull and it always has been).......
if i can get it going ill have $100 to have it ready to bolt up to the kart (including buying a sprocket etc)......
last q, am i able to make something up to convert it from vertical to horizontal? like use some parts from the pocket bike i pulled apart etc (also have a stuffed clutch to mess with)....
thanks josh

jk95ht

Reaction score
its just a mid priced one i think.....
but its been serviced not long ago so shouldnt be bad....
if i change the position of the fuel/oil tanks and lines and turn the engine on its side, will it work?
thanks josh

jk95ht

Reaction score
also how can i attach the brake and throttle cables?
i have ideas but i dont think they'll pull the cable enough......
im going to be using sports pedals for a manual (so i have one large pedal and 2 smaller ones) ill be using the large one for the throttle and small one for a brake.
i have the cables already as well, they are bicycle gear cables ($2 each).
then im thinkn of adding a hand operated brake on the left side for the front left wheel.
by the way thats for burnouts lol (if itll hav enuf power)

sexyvicta

Reaction score
haha sanli. They are one of the less hiiit chinses mowers. But they still suck

other guy: victa piston costs like 40 bucks brand new in NZ. Be cheaper in Au. Look on ausi Ebay...there is like every victa part you want for cheap and they will post to you.

jman231994

Reaction score
other guy: victa piston costs like 40 bucks brand new in NZ. Be cheaper in Au. Look on ausi Ebay...there is like every victa part you want for cheap and they will post to you.

I agree compared to others its cheap to repair them but when your a teenager with next to no income trying to get an engine running, $40 bucks is quite a large amount of money. Add in the possibility that he might be saving to buy a car and it really starts to become a pain. Either way the odds of getting a Victa that needs that much work is pretty slim.....They handle time well..... My example is that it could get me for 16metres of steel or so hahahaha

(Also if it needed boring out or honing it could cost more....For instance mine has a 20 thou oversize piston....Dunno how hard that would be to get.)

Status
Not open for further replies.