What causes the pull start to rip back at you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayre315

Rupp enduro
Reaction score
the 5hp briggs on my gokart dose that ALOT
always snapping off the handle on the pull string

is it because of the power bc i have quite a bit of high performance parts on there

88s10Durango

Reaction score
Put the blower flywheel thingy back on it , try it , I bet ya it won`t kick back on you ,,it needs that weight on the end of the crankshaft , only other way to fix that is to put a cast iron flywheel on it from say a rotatiller engine , it needs the inertia ,,Bill

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
is it because of the power bc i have quite a bit of high performance parts on there
Stater rope is sold in various sizes. Larger numbers = greater strength.
Put the blower flywheel thingy back on it , try it , I bet ya it won`t kick back on you ,,it needs that weight on the end of the crankshaft , only other way to fix that is to put a cast iron flywheel on it from say a rotatiller engine , it needs the inertia ,,Bill
Read complete thread. We've been all through it.

greasemonkey85

Reaction score
Once again... because this was used on a chipper there may be no compression release on the cam or some case where the flywheel is set up to be used with the chipper wheel. Very slowly roll the motor over until you feel the compression stroke. Just after this stroke is where you wind up and pull. Just expect it to recoil on you every time and you should be ok.

this is the correct answer. you must do this every time. what is happening is instead of starting the engine it is backfiring and making the motor spin backwards and pulling the string back in. we have to do this every time we start our race motors because if not it could break your fingers off. the same reason for kick start dirt bikes, harleys, old hand crank cars and tractors and airplanes. you must get it to a certian part of the compression stroke or timing sequence to get it to start and safely! some engines come with compression release on the head or built into the camshaft. most all 5hp briggs flatheads have a ez start cam. the newer briggs animals dont have either of these and is very hard to bet started by hand with a aftermarket cam. that is why almost everyone in kart racing uses electric starters.

greasemonkey85

Reaction score
i race at shellhammers speedway in leesport, pa.

yeah that is my other baby. 6" lift and 35" tires many others to list, sees the rocks all the time and is only a year old!

Status
Not open for further replies.