• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Volkswagen bug

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
Well, guys, I've been saving up my money to buy a 1971 or 1969 Volkswagen bug. Both of them are 1000 dollars complete. The 1971 bug is a stock bug and is fully wired, the other 1969 bug is a Baja bug, but it needs wiring. Both run and drive but the only concern I have is they have been on the market for about a year now and I'm not sure if the guy is even gonna reply to my offers.

(Just to make it clear I am only buying one of these sorry if what i said earlier was confusing)

Attachments

• 50aced2863ce47a0b8879ea2c7169f48.jpg
    50aced2863ce47a0b8879ea2c7169f48.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 7562b7b32b5645a7abad6250fb937fd8.jpg
    7562b7b32b5645a7abad6250fb937fd8.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 1606236269601.png
    1606236269601.png
    572.4 KB · Views: 4
  • bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 3
  • bajabug.jpg
    bajabug.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3
  • car.jpg
    car.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 3

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say stock (say both are the exact same otherwise)
since while I like the baja style.. I like some other 'style' more ... and it's the better base to start from a complete car
(especially if you -like me- would need the engine lid and rear fenders)

I wouldn't fear no bug that's been sitting for a year or two.. why would I
a close inspection of the floorboard tells you all you need to know
everything else is -if bad comes to worse- quickly replaced
I'd take a good look at both (personally) and pick the one in better overall shape,
and again would consider the fenders and rear end of the baja "useless" for my preferred end result
So I'd be biased towards the stock one.

I don't follow your links to take a closer look at the offers.. mainly because I know offerup is regionally locked
(and I'm locked OUT anyways and don't bother using a proxy atm)

'sid

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
yeah the stock one is the one that I found first and my neighbor who has a VW says he's willing to go there with me and make sure that there isn't any serious rust. The guy has a couple of other bugs for sale but those two were my favorite (mostly because I could afford them lol) I am probably just gonna go with the stock one because the Baja bug looks like it needs new tires that are probably gonna add an extra 400$.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Watch the floorpans, VWs are notorious for the floors rusting out bad, there's a good chance you'll end up replacing them, but then again, you're in SoCal, so they might be clean.

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
Yeah, they're in the middle of the desert so the floors should be fine

if I get the stock one, I'm probably gonna lower it and get some hub caps for it

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Mv vote is on the 1971 if it's still available. It'll have the 1600cc twin port engine. Though the 1500cc for the 1969 would also be nice, both have a much larger aftermarket support. I'd highly recommend that if you get either one, you buy the How to Rebuild your Volkwagen Air Cooled engine. https://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volk...&qid=1606242485&sprefix=how+to+rebuild&sr=8-3

Great read, I bought one before I got my shoddy dune buggy. Just know that at every oil change (3k miles), valve lash needs to be done. However, at least with the 1600 (maybe the 1500, not entirely sure), you can buy a hydraulic lifter kit to remove that maintenance. https://www.mofoco.com/item/Mofoco_Type_1_Hydraulic_Cam_and_Lifter_Kit/693/c143

You're already a head of the curve, since both will be 12 volt, so you won't have to get the different parts to convert from 6 volt to 12.

Hope you'll get a response from the owner about either one.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Tough call. The $800 sounds more reasonable and it's a 71, so CV axle rear end. The 66 for sale, claims to have a 1600...so that was either swapped in, or its BS to get it sold since the 1600 is more sought after.

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
ye I'd get the 800$ if I had a trailer or something but I'll keep on looking for something that does run and drive but a trailer will cost 100 bucks an hour and maintenance for the engine is probably gonna end up costing 400 so it would just be cheaper to get the other 71 vw

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I forgot that UHaul has raised their rates exponentially in California due to the amount of people leaving the state. Though a car dolly from them and one of the pickup trucks shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars after all said an done.

Volksdad

Reaction score
Don’t buy any cheap Baja’s. You won’t realize what range has been done to the frame until you own it. You have no idea what kind of mods have been done...

Buy something as stock as you can. Avoid super beetles.

you can find cheap bug engines all day long... buy the body not the motor.
HTH. I’ve had many beetles... more smiles per gallon!