• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Video recording rig

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Last year I got interested in karting and built a really fun yard kart. Part of the fun has been to try and share the view from the drivers seat, and that has been a challenge so far.

I tried using my phone as a video camera, but driving one handed is not safe at >25 mph in the yard, and I have not found a decent mount that will work on my steering tree or helmet without vibration issues or dropping my phone in the woods somewhere.

Next, I tried a lightweight automotive 720 "HD" dash camera and got some ok video with less than stellar sound quality, but the picture was upside down, so I had to use post production video editing software to do a horizontal flip conversion. (AVS4you Video Editor)

Most recently, I picked up another dash cam for 7 bucks on clearance and I chopped off the socket and used a soldering iron to plasti-weld the mounting ball/socket to the other side of the camera. That let me get the recording oriented properly, and let me optimize the angle of the camera to the suction cup for placement atop my helmet.

Then I bought myself a nice MX helmet with a satin black finish and the darn suction cup won't stick to it for more than a minute or two !

I may try some packing tape on the helmet to see if the cup will stick to the tape.

I like the "selfie pole" that I see on @mr bracket used on his mini Grave Digger and some other YT channels, but not sure what king of camwra I would put on a pole. Seems like many YT'ers just use the $$ Go pro and a slick helmet.

Care to share your video rigging tips ?

Last edited:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I have a GoPro and I put it on a shoulder harness, so it perches on my left shoulder quite nicely. Most of my YT Kartssource videos have some of that GoPro footage, so you can get an idea of how it looks.

BTW - I would recommend switching to Shotcut Video Editor. The name of that software honestly makes me cringe and gives me a good idea of what it’s like. Shotcut is completely free, and professional level. I used it for all my videos, it’s really powerful. There is a learning curve though.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
... The name of that software honestly makes me cringe and gives me a good idea of what it’s like...

JT - Despite your slam of software you admit never trying, I will check out Shotcut. I see according to the features page at Shotcut, it should be capable of a v flip if I need to do that again.

BTW, AVS software makes some good utilities that I have found useful in the past 10 years for various audio, video and web production projects I have done, but yah, I paid for a license to use their stuff.

@Kartorbust thanks for the link to a camera alternative. Nice to know about waterproof capabilities as well. I get into some watersports action as well.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
I still use one of the old GoPro Hero 960s. It's not my primary camera anymore, but it still takes a decent video. Audio, however, is mostly garbage as the earlier GoPros are know to have. I capture sound with a dedicated recorder and sync it in post like the Hollywood types do. Realistically, if you don't need an action cam to shoot what you're shooting, don't use one. I have a $100 camcorder that does general shooting a lot better.

If you want to stick something to a smooth surface, look for "servo tape" used by the RC car crowd. It's a thin double-sided foam tape similar to what comes with action camera mounts for helmets. I don't know what kind of industrial tape it actually is, but it might be for automotive trim applications or something. I've also DIYed suction mounts out of those suction cup handles for holding panes of glass.

On the editing front, you can actually get a flavor of Ubuntu Linux (Ubuntu Studio) for free that has video and audio editing software build-in. Sony also has some very basic software for cutting together video that I don't think is limited to Sony cameras.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
... Shotcut is completely free, and professional level. I used it for all my videos, it’s really powerful. There is a learning curve though.

I Downloaded Shotcut tonight and Wow, I'm liking it so far !

I really like how you can work on the native files without spending time to import them, and found t was easy to add a flip filter from the editing time line.

Thanks for the recommendation. It's definitely better than the utility program that I bought years ago.

@65ShelbyClone thanks for the Ubuntu recommendation. My son builds systems and likes to go distro hopping so I will get him to build me another laptop or dual boot this one so I can try Ubuntu Studio.

I will look for some of that tape to see if it works better for the suction cup to stick to than the matte finish that is on the helmet or the curvy part of the sun visor. I may be able to double stick something that is flatter up there.

Anyone have a good example to show how to mount a camera on a kart, or is it best to wear the camera ?

anickode

Reaction score
Not that I really have used it, but I made a mount for my old gopro hero session that attaches to the steering column (mine all have an outer column tube) just below the steering wheel.

Helmet mounts are good too. You should be wearing a helmet anyway, and you can find used gopros all over on marketplace since the people that are really into them always have to have the newest model.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
My experience(at least with my crazy little kart) is that wearing it equals a much smoother video. Mounting it to the frame would probably equal a lot of shaking.