Understanding clutches with CT200 preditor 212

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazingm42

Reaction score
So I just purchased a minibike ct200U-EX for the purpose to ride on BLM trails and forest roads while camping. Not aiming to go high speeds necessarily.

I may wish to swap out the engine with a Preditor 212cc. With this I don't necessary want to upgrade with a TAV. But install a Centrifugal Clutch, I think.

Where can I go to get a good understanding on clutches to install, etc.

Thanks in advance.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
The current engine has a clutch on it, that could easily be transplanted onto a 212.
FYI the 212 has a marginal at best power advantage, and there are mods out there for the Coleman engines.
If you want a trail beast you can also gear it lower(which will hurt top speed, help acceleration, and make your clutch last longer).

mrdeadman1

Reaction score
no actually it can't the coleman ct200 factory engine has a 5/8 shaft while the predator has a 3/4 shaft, I just had to deal with this so no need to try to argue. That being said a 3/4 max torque clutch would be fine as long as you are keeping the jackshaft, the only issue with the predator swap is the gas cap sit's under the frame so if you can just use the tank on the factory coleman engine.

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

the predator has many more upgrades available and responds to upgrades better than the coleman, and is save because of the bigger shaft, 5/8 cant hold up to as much torque as 3/4. I put a Tav unit on mine and it made a world of difference.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
no actually it can't the coleman ct200 factory engine has a 5/8 shaft while the predator has a 3/4 shaft, I just had to deal with this so no need to try to argue. That being said a 3/4 max torque clutch would be fine as long as you are keeping the jackshaft, the only issue with the predator swap is the gas cap sit's under the frame so if you can just use the tank on the factory coleman engine.

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

the predator has many more upgrades available and responds to upgrades better than the coleman, and is save because of the bigger shaft, 5/8 cant hold up to as much torque as 3/4. I put a Tav unit on mine and it made a world of difference.

Thanks for enlightening me.:idea2:
That's fine, I won't try to argue, and I'll take your word for it, I just didn't know! *shrug*

gazingm42

Reaction score
The current engine has a clutch on it, that could easily be transplanted onto a 212.
FYI the 212 has a marginal at best power advantage, and there are mods out there for the Coleman engines.
If you want a trail beast you can also gear it lower(which will hurt top speed, help acceleration, and make your clutch last longer).

JT,

I looking for more of the trail beast. Speed is less important for our uses. I don't want to but a TAV as all the videos show then need to cut the cross support bar, which for me I not comfortable doing that.

So any info on the gearing on the jack shaft to get better performance would be appreciated.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Just remember when making a mount that a 4-stroke engine has to sit with the baseplate level when at rest to keep the oil even in the crankcase.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
The TAV (Torq-A-Verter) or TC is the de facto standard upgrade for the Baja Warrior, Doodlebug and Coleman bikes and whichever other fat tired Chinese minibike I missed. It will really make it come alive.

Your bike already comes with an engine on it that’s basically identical to the Harbor Freight 212cc, at least in horsepower claims. :eek: You put a HF 212cc on there just because it has a few extra cubic centimeters in displacement and you’ll be losing that wonderful lighting ability the stock engine has.
The 212 doesn’t have a lighting coil/alternator.

For the ultimate trail machine, I’d be looking into:

A) Stage 1 performance kit
B) Comet Torq-A-Verter or a Chinese knock-off
C) Governor delete [but add in responsible riding/keep the revs conservative]

These are all conservative upgrades that you could do one at a time. Heck, even adding a straight pipe muffler really “uncorks” these engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.