trophy Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
I want to build a trophy truck go cart. i am not entirely new to go kart building, but compared to others i am a novice. but anyway i want it to be bouncely with serious shock bound and rebound, but where and/or how do i have the springs on each wheel? what kind of axle should i use? i want to look like an actual pickup. But the engine will be in the back. what type engine should i use? horizontal or vertical engine? but i want my head outside of the truck(like where a sun roof would be, but its not).Know what i mean.oh last question. what kind of brakes do i use. Mind i am on a budget. Thanks :cool:

Last edited:

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
so you want to use an actual pickup? i dont think the little engines commonly used in go carts will power that.

My suggestion would be to make a large cart frame and get suspension parts off of an atv (front a arms,shocks,rear swingarm)and possibly even the engine so you have reverse.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
Well what kind of hp are you planning? Do you want live axle or indpendent rear suspension. You can always make your own a-arms and theres always many parts ops out there for suspensions snowmobiles, 3 and 4 wheelers etc. Brakes you'll want disc most likely if this becomes a real beast.

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
i am thinkin a dirt bike engine of maybe 200cc. but i don't need to kill myself. and how would i build a arms. what do they look like?

V8 BUG

Reaction score
Thats what they look like (a arms) I build these for my race car.

and there in this

jr dragster T

Reaction score
V8 bug that is a very nice beetle whats the track? and what class are you in semi/ superpro... i drive a a Jr Dragster 7.90/83mph in the 1/8 powered by a 3 1/4 bore alcohol engine. And whats your times?

Last edited:

V8 BUG

Reaction score
I usually run the local Quick 16 Heads-up class on a .400 tree. The last time I went out I ran a 10.80 at 130mph at Grand Bend Motorplex in Ontario Canada. The front suspension works great as it is a street car as well. Thanks for the good words.

Kevin

ryf

Reaction score
i am thinkin a dirt bike engine of maybe 200cc. but i don't need to kill myself. and how would i build a arms. what do they look like?

how much do you weigh, IMO 200cc isn't going to last you long, if its free thats something else. I went 500cc and geared it down to WOT is about 45mph, but the benefit for me is I have torque on demand for climbing anything from almost a dead stop. you do as you please.

v8, nice looking front end bits, me likey, I robbed a 86' Suzuki 250 quad front end from a cycle junkyard, with brakes and all. I widened it 10" (47" to outside of tire now), adding a new rack & pinion as soon as I pick the right one out. I got the complete quad frame for 100 bucks, sold the rear swing arm stuff back to him for 20, the R&P is going to be about 130 with u-joint and stubby, but should be worth it.

if your going TT, I'd say v-8s got a decent system (needs to be bigger for a TT though.), beef it up and make the arms longer, for the travel for jumping.. I'd build it around a pair of s-10 spindles, cheap ($25 at most pick and pulls) and easy to work on/parts/etc. there are better ones, but those are tough and cheap, if the vehicle is light, they will hold up nice.

http://www.aa-mfg.com/ has things like ball joint cups and lots of pre-made brackets... if you don't really know how one is made, you should get a book on Suspension engineering to give you the basics to start and understand what forces are at work on the front end.

Last edited:

ryf

Reaction score
I re-read your post cuz I was confused... I think you mean like the mini monster truck go carts? if so, go with an ATV front end, find a cycle junkyard and make your life easy... it will cost more up front, but you will spend as much making your own steering after the 2nd time around fixing the first. I made my own single a-arms that work REALLY well, but the standard go-cart spindles left alot to be desired on my machine (due to my weight and the largish buggy). so I switched to an ATV front end. if your light and plan to stay light with the whole machine, they might work better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.